Chapter 63 - Hold On (Maria)

Maria swayed to the beat of the pop song that Becca and Priya were singing on stage. She, Mitch, Emma, Shawn, Tom and Prae sat on a bench-style seat in the busy bar that opened onto the sidewalk for more seating. Some people in the crowd sang with the women. As Mitch stretched and slipped his arm around Maria's shoulders, she raised an eyebrow at him. Nothing he'd told her pointed to them having their relationship yet.

"I did this when we were friends," he said nonchalantly.

"You were also trying to get in my pants."

Shawn chuckled beside them. "She's not wrong."

Mitch laughed and whispered in her ear, "We're not there yet, but therapy went well yesterday. We're getting closer."

"That's good. And you better sing karaoke with me." Maria grinned.

"Oh, you're going to sing this time?" he teased and sipped on his pop.

"I have better influences in my life now." Maria smiled around the table at Emma, Shawn, Tom, and Prae. "So, what are we singing?"

Emma leaned toward Maria and Prae with a grin. "I want to belt out some Wilson Phillips with you lovely ladies.

Prae's eyelids shimmered with the bolder makeup Emma had helped apply. "I'm not familiar with that one."

Emma pulled out her phone, brought up the song and passed it to Prae. "Wilson Phillips is the group, and here's the song."

Prae held the speaker up to her ear, nodding along with the beat and smiling at the words that seemed to encapsulate their heartbreak journeys this year. As the lyrics 'Things'll go your way if you hold on for one more day' came on, Prae grinned at Tom, who pecked her on the cheek. After her melancholy last month, it thrilled Maria that her friend got the relationship she wanted and deserved.

"I think Whitney is perfect for you two." Emma winked at Maria and whispered, "I wanna dance with someone."

Maria glanced at Mitch, memories of Samet flooding back as they spent the entire night dancing together. They'd blurred the lines of their friendship, but it had also marked her celebration of ridding herself of Adrian. A milestone she'd never backpedalled from since. Mitch smiled at her with tenderness, and his fingertips traced circles on her shoulders that sent pleasant tingles down her spine.

"You down?" Maria asked.

"Whatever makes you happy."

She took his free hand under the table and squeezed it.

The music finished on stage, and Becca and Priya returned to the table. Tom tapped a plastic spoon from the margarita pitcher against his glass. "Prae and I have a few announcements."

"Not more babies," Shawn muttered. "We just completed staffing."

"Dude, Prae's had like four shots already. She's not knocked up," Emma whispered. "How many have you had?"

He shrugged and filled himself another shot glass.

Tom held up his cup and waited until all eyes were on him. "I accepted a P4 position at our school for next year."

A chorus of cheers followed his announcement. Maria's jaw dropped, and she turned to Prae, who was beaming. No wonder they were positively beaming tonight. Maria looked at Tom. "Congratulations! I knew you'd find something. The team's lucky to have you."

"Thank you. Prae, would you like to share the rest?"

She nodded and beamed. "Tom asked me to be his girlfriend last night, so we are official."