Chapter 27 - Strawberry Fields (Tom)

Tom had worried Maria's openness at Koh Kret had been a one-off because of her holiday blues. After her subtle confession that she was lonely and wanted what her cousin had with Daniel plus her flattery, he'd dared to flirt with her, and she'd seemed to encourage it. It'd been so long since he'd hoped for a relationship, but this felt incredible. To add to his luck, Mitch was a total prick to anyone who crossed his path since Christmas, so Maria kept drifting Tom's way without him having to act.

Once, before they left the school on Friday, the jerk seemed civil, and, unlike what Tom expected, Maria was cheerful and receptive. While a forgiving heart was a wonderful quality, she would get crushed if she believed that snake; not to mention, Tom questioned what that for their evolving friendship.

None of that mattered as a coconut scent drifted toward him. Her warm body against his chased away the chill of the air-conditioned bus to Lamphun where they'd meet Prae's brother. As she'd dozed off on the night bus, her head had found the crook of his shoulder and she'd snuggled against him. His heart beat far too quickly for him to fall asleep, despite the surrounding darkness.

Hours later, the sun painted the sky in yellow and orange hues as yesterday's plains had turned to mountains with incredible greenery. The peaks didn't have the rockiness or snow of the Rockies or Annapurna range, but their forests were warmer. They brimmed with such diverse life that he longed to pull out his camera, but he didn't want to disturb Maria, and the lighting was too dim.

He glanced across the aisle at Prae who was rubbing her eyes. When their gazes met, she smiled warmly and tilted her head toward his sleeping companion. "You and Maria?" she mouthed.

Tom shook his head.

"Soon," she whispered with a smile. "Don't lose hope."

He grinned. How had it taken months to realize how wonderful Prae was? Maria's arrival in Thailand had brought everything into perspective. Another reason to be hopeful about their potential relationship.

"Are we getting closer?" Tom said.

Prae nodded, and her eyes were drawn past him.

"I can't believe how stunning it is. How did you move away to Bangkok?"

Her smile faded a little. "It was best for me then."

"And now?"

"I wouldn't have met any of you staying in my village."

Tom grinned. "I'm glad you ventured out."

She threaded her fingers together. "Me too."

Maria stirred against his chest, snuggling closer. He fought the urge to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Wow, that's beautiful," she uttered. Her eyes were glued to the window while his didn't leave her. Her orange polka-dot blouse matched the sky.

"Morning, Ria," he said. The early morning light kissed her brown skin and illuminated her serene smile. "Sleep well?"

"Probably better than you could with me using you as a pillow."

When he rubbed her back and gently squeezed her shoulder, she didn't shy away from either. "I slept great."

"Sorry for invading your space last night."

"Don't be sorry. You saved me from those itchy bus blankets."

She giggled. Would it ruin the moment if he flirted with her? Two weeks ago it would have, but now it was a gamble with decent odds. However, he preferred not to take the risk before they'd set foot in Chiang Mai province. They had the four-day New Year's weekend. If he approached this right, he might have a meaningful date by the time Valentine's Day arrived. They enjoyed the sunrise together before greenery turned to homes and stores, and urbanization grew closer.