Chapter 41 - Pool Party Part 1 (Mitch)

When Mitch awoke, sunlight streamed through his blinds and a warm body lay in his arms. It took his brain a second to register her black hair pressed against his chest, coconut scent, and the birthmark on the side of her neck. He blinked a few more times. Had he slept through the entire night without waking her with his nightmares? And why had she stayed? He'd been a needy wreck, and she was dating Tom.

The clock read 8:00, leaving him time to scramble together decorations so she wouldn't get in trouble with Tom. Did that guy even realize how lucky he was?

Against his better judgement, Mitch kissed Maria on the shoulder as he slipped away, and he could have sworn she smiled. He left a note about running to the supermarket on her purse.

When he returned from the store, his apartment was empty again—like her presence had all been a dream except for the note on his nightstand, which now said: 'Thanks for trusting me, bestie. I've really missed you.' Mitch read it three times before tucking it away in a safe spot.

***

One of the kindergarten teachers did a cannonball into the apartment's pool, splashing the reluctant partiers who hadn't jumped in yet. Some chatted on the sides, including Maria and Tom, while others sat on the benches and chairs with plates of food. Shawn and Mitch stood in the chest-deep water with a view of the whole gathering.

Shawn chuckled. "I haven't seen you this serious at a party in years."

As much as Mitch loved the energy of Maria's reggaeton playlist and the laughter surrounding them, it lacked the warmth of yesterday's embrace. He'd trade anything to loop in that moment for the rest of the evening. "The mood hasn't hit me yet."

"Any reason?"

Mitch inhaled the chlorine-tinged air. "I told Maria about Em." It still hurt to say her name as the image of her corpse flashed before his eyes, but it was easier than yesterday.

Shawn's jaw dropped for a moment. "That's huge. How did it go?"

"I made a fool of myself and broke down the second I said her name." He hadn't been that emotional about anything since coming to Thailand. Even today, he still felt raw and nervous as to how Maria would react to him. So far, he'd only hazarded a wave as she showed up with Tom.

"How'd she take it?"

"She stuck around, made me supper." He couldn't say more without putting her relationship at risk, even if their intentions were innocent. It had opened up an emptiness he'd forgotten he possessed. But he couldn't keep relying on her for support when she was dating Tom. Hopefully, Shawn didn't mind being his emotional crutch since he'd set this all in motion.

"Did you tell her how you feel about her?"

Mitch averted his eyes to where Maria sat close to Tom, running her fingers through his hair. Why did Shawn want to break up Tom and Maria? He'd been so adamant that Mitch keep his distance in November. "And ruin what she has with Tom? That's an actual relationship—not whatever the hell I'd be capable of."

With the way she beamed at Tom and leaned in for a kiss, Mitch would hardly suspect she'd ever had feelings for himself. He was unsure how long he'd last today and why he thought a pool was a suitable setting. It displayed what he lost like a flashing billboard—if only he wasn't an emotional screw-up, unable to tell Maria how he felt.

Shawn followed Mitch's gaze. "You're not giving yourself enough credit. Everyone's happy the first few weeks they start seeing someone. It's the thrill of something new. You said for months she wasn't that into him. She cared enough to take care of you when you're hurting, and it's no secret that Tom doesn't trust you."