Chapter 37 - Party Planning (Mitch)

Before lunch, when all the primary four to six teachers were in the staff room, Maria and Emma gathered them closer. Mitch tried not to stare at the way Maria's navy skirt hugged her curves or to stand close enough to inhale her coconut shampoo, but his failure led to memories he repressed. Luckily, she didn't seem to notice as she whispered with Emma.

Maria cleared her throat. "We wanted to host a fun party at our apartment building this weekend with Prae and a bunch of us. Her New Year's was not fantastic, so we want to make it up to her. Any suggestions?"

"Pool party," Mitch suggested. Even if Maria was with Tom, she'd still be visible. It wasn't moving on, but it might keep him soberer than an alternative.

Emma frowned and turned to the rest of the group. "Any other ideas, anyone?"

"What about a potluck?" Shawn said.

"Yeah!" Maria's chestnut eyes brightened, and a smile adorned her beautiful face. "We could all cook different dishes, even put a table up outside the pool to make it a pool party potluck."

Mitch hoped her smile was for him as he missed making her happy. It was sweet of her to incorporate his terrible, selfish idea. Yet another sign she was better suited to Tom than himself.

"If you know any guys, Thai or ones who plan on sticking around Bangkok a while and who aren't douches, please invite them," Emma added.

Perhaps it was his imagination, but it seemed her cold blue eyes landed on him when she said douches. The air conditioning's chill passed over his face and down his neck. She wasn't wrong.

Shawn folded his arms. "Why exactly?"

"We want to cheer her up, and a little romance never hurts," Maria said.

Emma nudged Maria's shoulder with her own and grinned. After Maria's giddy smile, Mitch's chest constricted.

If she's happy, you should feel the same for her.

"So we're throwing this to help set her up with someone?" Peter asked. "Isn't that awkward and inappropriate?"

"Not officially. It's encouraging, like 'look you have options' or, if nothing else, a fun distraction," Emma said. "Since when do we need a decent excuse to party?"

"She makes a fine point. This term was long and stressful," Shannon said. "I'm in."

"Awesome. Maria, do you want to organize what everybody's bringing, and I'll handle the drinks?" Mitch asked.

She grinned and nodded, and his stomach flipped.

It provided them with a reason to hang out together, best-case scenario without Tom. Not that Mitch was trying to sabotage their relationship, but he just missed hanging out and making her laugh and smile. Shawn also wouldn't admit it, but in the time Mitch had spent with Maria, Shawn had grown closer to Emma. Although they weren't dating, Mitch felt like a third wheel stealing Shawn's attention from her.

Tom flew through the staff room doors and glanced in Maria's direction before approaching. The two greeted each other as if their bodies were fighting their minds, both reaching out before Tom grabbed her hand and squeezed it. Mitch wished that awkwardness resembled the one that had lingered weeks ago before the first date, but judging from the PDA he'd seen at the apartments, they restrained their affection because they were at work. It was one of Tom's few traits that Mitch respected. Sunshine used to get on his case when Mitch would give her or Dan advice. She'd said that while Mitch could get away with that crap, the rules were different for them.

Maria smiled up at Tom. "You just missed our party planning session."

"We're planning parties now? Is it Mitch's birthday?" Tom eyed Mitch wearily.