V E N I C E

Dion: They're gorgeous ma.

I smile at the text as I rest my thumb nail between my teeth.

He thinks they're gorgeous!

"Earth to Venice, hello?" Trinity removes a hand off the wheel and waves it in my face.

"Oh sorry Trin I didn't hear you."

"Of course you didn't, you've been staring at your phone and smiling for the past 15 minutes like a goof." She says.

"I was not smiling." I deny.

"Venice baby, even my cheeks hurt from watching you cheese at the screen for that long." We stop at a red light. "Who got my best friend like that?"

"Ain't nobody." I turn off my phone, placing it between my thighs.

"I bet it's Dion." She laughs. "I still can't believe you called him over me when your life was in danger. Girl, I thought we was closer than that."

She begins to fake being hurt and I slap her arm. "We are. I don't know why I did that either."

"I do." She glances at me before the light turns green. "Cah you in love boo."

I scoff. "In love?" I squint at her in disbelief. "You know I don't do love Trinity."

"Okay but that don't mean love don't do you." She says. "Don't think I ain't seen the way the two of you were glancing up at each other whilst we were eating when you thought he wasn't watching you and he thought you wasn't watching him."

"Girl, you hallucinating. It ain't no love." I scoff again "You crazy."

"And you mad defensive. Promise me the two of you ain't done nothing since you got to his place."

I bite my lip and look out the window, avoiding her question.

"I knew it. Have you fu-" She starts.

"No! We haven't."

"But he ate you out and you gave him a BJ."

Is my friend a damn mindreader? Gosh dang.

"So what? That doesn't mean anything." I defend.

"It does when you're in love." She sings.

"I'm not in love." I roll my eyes.

"Sure boo. Whatever helps you sleep at night." She turns right into the next street.

"Oh yeah. Trin I have a date tomorrow."

She gasps. "Does Dion know about it?"

I sigh. "No Trinity. I ain't tell him."

"Who you going with?"

"Devon."

"Wait, isn't that the dude you work with that looks at you funny?"

"Yeah but he's nice."

"Venice you told me he's annoying."

"But he's still nice and if you look at him long enough, he's cute." I tell her. "Besides, Dion's going over to Paige's house around the same time as my date...I think."

"Oh so you're doing this to be petty?" She asks.

"Petty?"

"Yeah. You do kinda sound mad that he's going over there and you sorta brought it up outta the blue. There was naturally no correlation with you going on a date and him going to Paige's place." She analyses. "You're the one that created one. So I assume you're jealous."