D I O N

I check the time on the thermostat and see that it's 11:47.

They should be here any minute now.

I suddenly feel my shirt being tugged on and I look down at it to see a young boy that looks around 9 years old looking back up at me.
I know he's not a relative of mine so I conclude that he must be my girlfriend's cousin or something.

"Excuse me sir?"

"Wassup buddy?" I bend to his height slightly and I watch his eyes as they stare at my braids for a few seconds.

"Oh...um, can I have one of those lollipops?"

"Which one?"

"The same one my sister has." He points to one of the couches where a girl that looks a couple years older than him is licking on a swirl lollipop, sitting beside an older lady that I assume to be their mom.

"Yeah sure, but where yo manners?"

"Sorry, please?"

"Yeah c'mon."

I walk into the kitchen and check the boxes, grabbing the candy and giving it to him. He smiles, excited and starts trying to rip it open.

"Lemme do it."
He hands it to me and I rip open the plastic handing it back.

"Thank you!" He runs off back into the backyard and I watch out the window as he shoves it in his sisters face, showing her his new lollipop.

I chuckle at his boasting, when the doorbell rings. I rush to get it before any of the other adults do and when I pull open the door, I see 4 men and a woman standing outside with a couple gift bags.

"Oh! You must be my baby's boyfriend, awh!" The lady steps forward, giving me a hug and places a kiss on my cheek.

"Good morning ma'am." I smile, taking a couple glances at the people behind her.

"You so handsome." She laughs. "Im Venice's mother, you can call me Rhona. These are her brothers, and her dad." She points at each of them in turn and they all step forward to dap me up.

I hold the door open as they step in. "We got more gifts in the car honey, my sister here yet?"

"Yes ma'am, she's outside."

"Thank you baby." She walks through the kitchen, heading outside.

Her husband looks me up and down for a good couple of seconds.
Venice's dad looks very intimidating. He's got almost twice as much facial hair as I do, he has a really stoic expression on his face and although his muscles look as big as mine, he looks like he could pick me up and throw me to the ground like I weigh nothing.

I look back at him and gulp. He tilts his head to the side a little then I see a hint of a smile playing at his lips.

"I wanna talk to you later." He nods, following after his wife.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and almost forget my girlfriend's brothers. They're stood by the door holding about three gift bags each, laughing at me.

"Ain't no way yo huge ass scared of an old man."

I stare at the one who spoke, trying to remember the picture Venice showed me before.

"I'm Kyrie." He introduces.

He drops the bags by the side of the door, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Jamal and Adam." He nods to his sides, telling me his brother's names in turn.

"And we know you Dion." Jamal steps forward. "I ain't know my baby sister into niggas with braids. She's only dated men with waves before." He shrugs.