Chapter 5

~~~~Jinx

A metal beam caught my eye...

It was snapped in two... One end covered in blood, I looked at the bloodstains going towards the empty riverbed.

I looked back at Viktor who was too busy with something else.

I should probably tell him ... But I'm not going to.

I slipped away from him and followed the dried up riverbed. I suddenly slipped and fell. My eyes widened as i fell upon a decomposed corpse.

"OH FUCK!" I screamed out of surprise and falling backwards.

"JINX! ARE YOU OKAY?!" Viktor screamed as ran down the dried up riverbed.

"OH FUCK!" He yelled himself as he saw the body.

"That's what I said!"

I helped him up as he looked at the headless body in horror.

"Do you think-"

I cut him off and crouched next to the body examining it.

"No, It's not Achlys. Look..." I said pointing out the clothing.

"The West Klir uniform ... So it's ...." He whispered.

"Vala." I completed.

I stood up and backed off.

"Looks like my bomb wasn't the killing blow..."

I looked back at Viktor to find him with a saddened look upon his face.

"Viktor...?"

"... What a horrible way of dying." He said in a saddened tone.

I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Since when do you pity our enemy? She deserved this." I said crossing my arms.

He looked back at me in disagreement.

"She was young... Too young... Dying at 18 years old ... Alone and afraid... Nobody deserves that."

My eyes slightly widened in surprise.

She was only ... 18 years old ...? Only a few years younger than me and achlys ...

"She was a victim of her own youth... Her own selfishness and confidence. This is sad... Nothing more."

I looked back at her corpse as Viktor continued.

"That could've been you had Achlys not been there to save your ass Everytime." He said turning his back to me. "Have some respect... Even your enemies have a story."

He walked away leaving me alone with Vala's corpse. I looked down at her realizing he was right.

Had Achlys not been there... I would've left this world long ago ... Looks like she didn't have someone like that to save her ...

She died alone ... In pain ... Young ... And unloved... The complete opposite of my death...

I sighed as i stood back up.

"Achlys ... I hope you're okay..." I said as i walked back towards the ship and Viktor.

I entered the ship looking back at desolate Zaun.

"Hiraeth..."