Chapter 20

Flashback:

"Achlys... It's time we make you your own board!" He said bringing all sorts of pieces to my room.

I looked at him confused.

"My board?"

"Yep! Come on, let's get to work. I'll show you the basic elements and I'll let you costumize it."

He proceeded to help me make the base. This was a very complex process but i had fun sharing knowledge with him. I painted my board black and replaced the green leds with purple ones.

My board was suddenly stolen out of my hands. I looked up to find Ekko with a spay paint bottle , writing on my board.

"EKKO! What the hell dude!" I said snatching it out of his hands.

I looked down at his graffiti.

"Ekklys...? What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I asked looking back up at him mad that he had ruined my board.

"That's our Team name!" He said proudly.

"Team ... Name?"

"Well yeah! Best friends need to have a Team name! Isn't that obvious?"

I looked at him in surprise.

Best ... Friends ?

End of flashback:

I wiped the dust off of his plaque and looked down at it.

Even though, i had cremated everyone and gave their ashes back to the earth... I still feel as though they listen to me when I talk to these plaques.

Flashback:

His weak and frail body holding onto my hand as he laid in bed. We both looked at eachother knowing his time was coming.

"Don't cry... You look ugly." He whispered.

I laughed as tears rolled down my face.

"My bad..."

A gentle smile appeared on his face.

"... That's it... That smile is way prettier."

We looked at eachother in silence as the realization dawned on me. He was going to leave me very soon... And he knew it too.

The silence quickly became a heavy burden.

How can you smile... In a situation like this...

I forced a smile on my face.

"Ekklys... Forever ...right?"

Those last words, I'll never forget them...

End of flashback:

I slowly opened my eyes to watch his name engraved.

Ekko, The boy saviour...

I passed my hand on it smiling bitterly as even though I cherished these memories... They reminded me of my constant failure to save them.

I wish I could've answered you before you left us...

They always leave too soon...

"Would you hate me for everything I've done even though it's a necessity if you were still here? Would you kill me to save this cursed land...?"

I chuckled at myself as i know that Ekko would be trying to cheer me up if he was still here.

"What am I saying... No sadness allowed in your tree. I know i know, my bad little man."

...

I looked up at the stars envying the idea of death to see everyone again.

Ekko...

"You're my best friend, I'll love you forever..."