Chapter 11: An Old Friend in the Dark

Xyla MetalBender (pronounced Xy-lah)

————————————————————————

Brynn doesn't speak to me when we take our morning meal together. She doesn't even look. Trapping me in the cage of my own thoughts because I refuse to speak and I cant communicate if she won't look at my moving fingers. Getting up from my uneaten meal, I retire to my bedchambers. I can feel her angry gaze on the back of my neck as I leave.

We were told our schedule when the Madame brought in breakfast this morning. A full tour of the palace before we are released to get ready for the ball hosted in the guests honor tonight. Brynn and I only nodded at the Madame Dietra's words before she left. The contestant silence was driving me crazy and I knew if Brynn was really pissed at me, she would keep up that silence until I folded. Tired of her silence I marched to Brynn's room and locked the door behind me. Her room was elegant and well kept and showed every bit of her anger in the neatness of her things. I found her buckling up the back of her dress. Our eyes connected in the mirror. She looked away quicker. I wrote a message on the notepad I had brought and sent it to her in a paper airplane shape. She didn't pick it up. I knew this foolishness wouldn't end unless she communicated with me so I sat on the edge of her bed and waited. And waited. And waited.

"Leave, Aerilynn." Brynn never used my name unless she was extremely pissed at me. I shook my head no. "Fine," she huffed. She went to leave the room, but was stopped by the electricity I had woven around the door. If she tried to touch it, it would shock her badly. "Let me out!" She yells. I shake my head no and motion to the fallen paper airplane note. Huffing she picks up the paper and unfolds it. It read, I'm not letting either of us out of here until you tell me what is wrong.

"Damn you StormBreaker!" She yells, "You want to know what made me so angry!" "You!" "You and your preaching about laying low and you go and grab the High Kings attention by throwing those pins after I had warned you to keep your temper in check!" I stare at her stunned. That's it? How could that have set her off when I've done way worse things in the past?

I will not apologize for defending you, Brynn. No matter the rules, you would not have defended yourself against his leering and soon enough all the guards around us would be getting ideas. If you don't want me stepping in next time, then fight the necessary battles like the one with the guard. Brynn stares at me, stunned. Furthermore, isn't getting the High Kings attention, so you can stay in the capital longer the entire point of us being here?

Brynn huffs and sits down on the bed next to me. "I'm not asking you to apologize, Aeri, I know you don't apologize for those you defend." "All I'm asking is that the next time you are going to do something reckless like that, use the common sense that I keep trying to instill into you." I hood up my hand to respond but she puts her hand on mine. "Let me finish," she says. I nod for her to continue. She says, "I can't fight my own battles if you intervene every time someone looks at me the wrong way," "additionally, throwing hair pins at a guard is not the way I wanted for the High King to notice us in order for us to stay. I wanted him to let us stay because of our performance, not your violence."