Chapter 48: Companionship in the Dark

Rose stayed eerily silent as we traveled, rarely speaking and only to ask for extra food or to ask a question. I had asked Jameson to fetch Rose a few days ago when he was moving Zion to the secret location. It would have been too noticeable if Jameson had sent anybody, so he had pushed the job of collecting Rose off to me. It was a happy coincidence that a couple of days later, I would've leaving the capital city and collecting Rose was a convenient way to collect her without suspicion.

I doubt Rose had any idea or any memories of her parents. Guinevere hadn't seemed like she was lying when she had told me that her parents throats were slit, but something just didn't seem right with me about the story. I couldn't pinpoint it, so I just let the suspicion go, for now. It was quite strange, though, how much Rose looked like her father.

We had been traveling for days to get to the point where Jameson men would meet me to take Rose off my hands. We were a few hours from the meeting point and I realized that oddly-enough, I was growing rather attached to Rose. Strange seeing as we rarely talked and it took me weeks, even months to become attached or even fond of anyone. We stopped for the night. I set up camp while Rose started to set out the bedrolls for the night. Setting Millie to go free, I grabbed my knives, eager to get our dinner after such a long day of hard riding.

"Can I go with you?" A small voice says from behind me. I turn around in confusion only to find the owner of that voice to be none other than Rose. She hadn't asked to come hunting with me before. Strange. Reluctantly, I nodded and handed her one of my smaller knives. Grabbing my bow and arrows, i trotted off into the dark canopy with Rose trailing behind me. The night closed in fast, but I didn't let that deter me from finding some fresh meat for the night. I had found and killed a few squirrels, but fae had ravenous appetites and a few squirrels, cheese, bread and water weren't going to satiate us for the night. Holding my arm out to stop Rose from going anywhere else, I pulled out an arrow and knocked it in my worn bow. There was something coming. A large herd of deer rushed out ten yards in front of us. Young, old, stag, doe, and fawns all raced away from something. Pulling back the arrow, I aimed at a young doe that would have enough meat to last us a few days, but wasn't too big as to attract predators. My arrow flew true and she fell, injured, but she fell all the same as her family raced past. Waiting for the last of the herd to pass, I finally got up and approached the dying animal. Pulling out my hunting knife, I slit her throat cleanly, so she died painlessly. I had entirely forgotten that Rose stood behind me, watching all the while.

She cocks her head to the side, "I-is that how..." she trails off, unable to finish the sentence to her unthinkable question. I have no words to comfort her and no idea how to make the situation any better, so I merely nod. Rose looks sad for a moment then asks, "Was it painless?"

I have no clue how someone so young would know enough about death to asks h a question, so I nod again and sign, As painless as it could be for the circumstances. It wasn't the truth exactly, nor was it a lie. It would have been a painful death for those traveling with her, but it was a better death than they could have hoped for at the hands of whoever attacked them. Grabbing the doe' I start to skin her. I have extra room in my pack to carry her meat and we are far enough away from camp that her entrails will not attract predators towards our camp. Her skin I will keep and hopefully trade for some food or coin when we reach the next rural town. The coin that I had on me when I had left the Capital city was not much. I had been to clouded to take more than the little money I had on my person at the time and it was running low after so many days of buying food and other necessities. Once I was done skimming the deer, I filled my pack with her meat and we headed back to where we had set up camp.

I roasted the meat on sticks while Rose sat on her pallet, watching the meat with interested eyes. We forged ourselves on the lean meat of the doe. Even with our starved appetites, we couldn't finish all the meat, so I decided to dry it while we slept. It would make for a good meal when we got tired of eating bread and cheese down the road. Knowing any predators wouldn't come near because of our fire, I lay back on my pallet and tried to get what rest I could.

Morning came sooner than I would have liked. Luckily, the meeting place was only a few hours ride away. We were on our way early after a sparse breakfast. Rose would be well fed by Jameson's spies and I didn't need to use up too much of my rations. We arrived in town quickly and quietly. Paying the stable boy as I had in the other towns we visited, I grabbed Rose's small pack and motioned for her to follow me. The meeting point was in the slums of the town, so it took a bit of walking to get there. Once we had arrived at the right door, I knocked thrice, as Jameson had instructed me to do. The door slowly squeaked open and a woman poked her head out, suspicion in her expression. "Can I help you?" She asks in an unfriendly tone. I pulled back the hood of my cloak so that my face could be seen. Jameson had told his spies a description of me and there were very few fae that had white hair and violet eyes. Recognition lit up the fae's features. "Ah, it's you. Lord Jameson didn't mention you coming here personally to deliver the child."

It was convenient, so I fetched her. The fae nods at my words and opens the door further as she beckons us inside. Rose and I walk into o the cramped space. It has maps and letters littered everywhere, from the walls to the desks. Rose eyes the room suspiciously, as I would. She is smart for her age. She had learned some of my habits over the few days we were traveling by together.

The woman closes the door behind her and says, "We will be able to get the little girl to the checkpoint sooner than expected."

Good. The sooner she is safe, the happier I will be.

"And the sooner you will owe lord Jameson a debt." She reminds me. Holy fuck. Who doesn't know about me owing Jameson for doing this. I merely give the woman a scowl and look to Rose. She is still looking around warily.

They will keep you safe in a way that I can't. Stay with them and they will take you somewhere where you will be well care for. I sign to her.

"You won't be coming with us?" Rose asks mournfully.

I shake my head. It is too risky for me to accompany you any longer, Rose. I am too much of a target. I squat down so Rose and I are eye level. You will be safe and well taken care of with them. That is something I cannot give you. Not right now.

"Will you come and see me?" She asks, hope in her eyes.

I will try Rose. Once it is safe, I will come and find you and Zion. Until then, take care, okay? Rose nods enthusiastically and drops her pack as she jumps at me. She wraps her small arms around me and I hug her back. I've become unnervingly attached to this little girl. Once Rose lets me go, I stand back up and address the woman, Keep her safe. The woman nods at me and I go towards the door. Opening the door, I look back at Rose and give her a small smile before closing the door behind me.

Back on the dusty roads, I stop Millie so that I can look back to where I left Rose. The town is bustling in the middle of the day and there is laughter among its people. Content that Rose will be kept safe, I kick Millie back into high gear and point her towards our next destination.