Chapter 109: An Argument in the Dark

Thank You to @akjoy17 for following me!!! Your support means the world to me!!!!

When we finally arrived in the Capital, a page waited for us, anxiety written on every one of his features. As I dismounted Millie, he quickly addressed me and said, "Lady Aerilynn, the High King summons you and all of your companions to the meeting room immediately." He looked terrified and no doubt expected me to refuse the High Kings order.

Nodding to him, I said, "Alright, we'll be there."

His eyes widened in surprise before he quickly bowed and said, "I will relay your message," b fore scurrying off into the castle."

"He's a nervous one, isn't he?" Lady Roseline's voice quietly echoes as she steps out of the carriage. "You'd have thought one as anxious as that wouldn't work in the palace."

"Azazel chose him because he knew I couldn't turn down such a nervous looking fellow. If I had, the bow might have dropped dead." I reply.

"I never knew you were so soft hearted. Quite a contrast to your former occupation, don't you think?" I rolled my eyes. She thought she had found a weakness. The idea almost made me scoff.

"Soft hearted is the least of what I am, but I find no use in the unnecessary deaths of others and I had planned to go straight to Azazel anyway." I reply.

She only makes a humming sound as I lead us towards the meeting room. The halls were devoid of any sign of any servants. No doubt they had been scared off by Azazel's temper tantrums. That or he had ordered them away because he knew he was going to blow a fuse. I hoped it was the latter. When the double doors to the meeting room swing open, I dosed Azazel pacing inside, his hands behind his back. He looks up, a concerned look in his eyes before he quickly covers his emotion with a mask upon seeing that Lady Roseline had accompanied us. Confusion is apparent in his eyes, but he tries to hide the emotion.

Bowing his head, he says, "Lady Roseline, nice to see you again. What brings you here?"

Lady Roseline stops next to me as she says, "It is nice to see you again as well, Your Highness. I'm afraid that my sudden appearance is due to the efforts of Lady Isidore and Lady Aerilynn."

Azazel gaze moves to me, his expression still unmoving. His perfect eyebrow arches, "Well?"It had been a long time since Azazel had even deigned to look at me, let alone speak to me. The feeling that accompanied his words stole the breath from me.

Trying to regain my composure, I reply, "I made a bargain with Lady Roseline regarding the rebellions and corruption within the Istlean Ruins."

"And what exactly made you think that you had the authorization to do such a thing. You are no longer a part of my inner circle and taking such liberties could be deemed as treason." He says this with such cool indifference that I can practically feel the chill radiating off of him.

"The fact that you were not able to get an agreement and I was is all the authorization that I needed. The terms of our contract are simple. Lady Roseline joins your inner circle and I find a way to end the corruption in the Istlean Ruins. That was the bargain that I made a blood vow for and that is the bargain that you are going to take if you know what is good for you!" My words fade into the air and Azazel and I stand glaring at each other.

"Everyone get out," Azazel says, his words more deadly and angry than I have ever heard them. Lady Isolde and Lady Roseline quickly exit the room leaving Azazel and I inside together.

"What are you doing?" He asks carefully.

"I'm going to need a bit more clarification."

"What are you trying to accomplish in this foolish endeavor!" He snaps at me.

I am slightly taken aback by the aggression in his tone as I reply, "I saw their army Azazel. I saw what they were capable of. They would have fought and lost a war trying to get their freedom from you when the problem was really the corruption from your officials and soldiers, not you. Thousands of soldiers would die and countless civilians would follow. That isn't a risk I am willing to take. Too many lives were on the line and you were doing nothing. NOTHING! It's time somebody did something and this was the best way to get something done."

Azazel says nothing at my words. Merely staring at me blankly, like a parent to their child. When he finally speaks, he says, "Are you done?"

"Not even close, but you wouldn't give a shit for what else I have to say, so I'll stay quiet." I reply scathingly.

"That is the best decision you have made in a very long time," he replies with equal derision. "But now I have to fix another one of your ducking messes and explain that there will be no agreement and that Lady Roseline will return to the Istlean Ruins and calm her people or I will be forced to use force to calm their rebellion."

"You will do no such thing," I reply, my voice icy and cold. I had never spoken to Azazel that way, ever, so when I did so it caught him off guard.

"Excuse me?" He says in disbelief.

"You will do no such thing or I will kill you here and now. You may not care about the wellbeing of your people anymore, but I do and let me tell you this when I say that I will kill you if you thwart this agreement in any way. I will stop the corruption that you failed to stop in the Istlean Ruins and that will stop their rebellion. I don't give a shit if you are the High King or if you are a god on earth, you will allow Lady Roseline into your inner circle and honor this agreement because god help me I will hurt you badly if you do not. You will allow this to happen because it is a shot at peace. A shot that you failed to get on your own in any way shape or form. Stop being a fucking fool just because I broke your heart and actually use your head for once." My voice got louder and louder with each word until I was shouting at him.

Azazel says nothing as he and I glare at each other, "Quit acting like a spoiled child and like the King you actually are. Put your people above your apathy towards me you fucking moron." With that I quickly turn on my heel and head out of the room before I start hitting things, preferable Azazel. Lady Isidore and Lady Roseline wait outside the rooms with innocent looks on their faces as if they hadn't heard every word on the other side of the doors. "Lady Isidore, if you would take Lady Roseline to Karasi's old rooms. Hopefully, the King will get his head out of his ass and allow for the easy integration of Lady Roseline into the inner court."

"I think you are the only person who he allows to speak to him in such a way," Lady Isidore comments.

"Because I am one of the few fae that will tell him how it is."

"That and he is madly in love with you." She replies.

"Not anymore." My sad tone makes her perk up, suddenly interested. I can practically see where her thoughts wander. This is now the perfect opportunity to possibly seduce the High King. "You will only make a fool of yourself if you do what is in your head. He is angry and I do not wish for you to embarrass yourself or jeopardize this agreement."

"What makes you think I would jeopardize it?"

"A king can not marry a member of his inner court." I reply cooly. "Now if you would excuse me, I have my part of the bargain to complete. I have already wasted a day bringing you here and haven't a moment to spare." With that I turn on my heel and briskly walk down the king hallway. I can practically feel their gazes before I turn a corner and am out of sight. I quickly pack my things and return to the stables and saddle up Millie. A swift kick to the sides and we are off.