Chapter 21: A Court the Dark

I froze. What! The High Kings inner court?

Whoa, whoa, whoa. What on earth makes you think I need to meet the High Kings inner court?

"We'll your going to be spending a lot of time around them when you shadow me, it seems better to introduce you to them now." Karasi responds.

Umm, that's unnecessary. I don't need to be introduced to anyone. I start to strip off the dress in order to change into a gown that is less revealing. Karasi's hands stop me as I go to unlace the strings at my back.

"Don't tell me the fearless Lady Aerilynn, who told the High Queen to mind her own business, is afraid of meeting the inner court?" Karasi teases.

Meeting those fae in such a formal way forms attachments for both parties, attachments nobody needs for I will be on my way as soon as the competition ends and a replacement has been found.

Karasi pouts her lips, "Attachments! Aerilynn, you speak as if interaction with anyone us merely a transaction!"

That's all I can allow them to become. I turn from Karasi, my shoulders slumping at the weight of my past.

Karasi surprises me when she places her hand on my shoulder, "Whatever you have to fear that holds you back from these friendships, it can't reach you here."

If only that were true. If only I had her confidence in the High Kings inner court that they would be able to stop what follows me. Very well, I will meet this inner court just to assuage your nagging, but no more. I intend to leave and many old acquaintances can attest to my stubbornness.

Karasi nods in agreement, "Your supposed stubbornness will not stop me from attempting to keep you, but I agree to your terms. I know this is as far as you will be pushed on the subject right now." Karasi grabs the loosened strings at my back and tightens them once more. I sit down at the vanity and apply a small amount of makeup, while Karasi styles my hair in a slight updo. I put on little makeup, enough to highlight my features, but not enough to cake my face. I despise the stuff enough as it is.

Once Karasi declares my fit for meeting the inner court, we make our way to the private chambers assigned to the court. Karasi leads the way as the doors are thrown apart with the force of her excitement. The inner court waits within.

Four pairs of eyes look towards the both of us as we enter. All of them I had seen at one time or another. One surprises me. I give a questioning look too the surprise. Lady Isidore WaterCaster meets my questioning gaze with a smirk. "Good to see you Lady Aerilynn. I apologize for the surprise, Karasi insisted we let you find out on your own."

I look back to see a sheepish look on Karasi's face. Indeed, Lady Isidore, what a wonderful surprise this has been.

I look to the other three sets of eyes that look to me. I meet the High King's eyes with a challenge of my own to match the one mirrored in his eyes. Lord Adonis gives me a knowing smile as he glances between the High King and I. Ah, so he suspected the High King ambushing me in the forest clearing. Interesting. High Queen Sylvia, I give a nod of respect and receive one in return. This is all of them? I question Karasi.

"Should there have been more?" A voice interrupts Karasi before she can respond. It belongs to Lord Adonis, his blue eyes glittering mischievously.

With the way Karasi was practically jumping out of her skin to introduce us, yes, I thought there would be more.

"Sorry to disappoint you, Lady Aerilynn." Lord Adonis responds.

Not at all. In fact the smaller court gives it a kind of charm a bigger group lacks.