Chapter 17: The First Competition in the Dark

Brynn's dress, like the rest of her wardrobe was stunning. An elegant green that set off the earthly tones in her skin. She admired herself in the full-length mirror a tenth time. I snap my fingers in impatience.

Cmon Brynn. It's time to go! We can't be late to the first competition.

Sighing at my rushing her, she reluctantly turns away from the mirror and examines my dress. I had worn a simple black gown that was almost too casual for the competition. Much simpler compared to Brynn's heavy, jewel-laden dress. "Is that the dress you'll be wearing?" She asks, barely concealed revulsion evident in her voice. I normally wouldn't put up with that tone from anybody, but i'm too exasperated from the past few days and don't have the energy to reprimand her.

Yes, Brynn. It's too late for me to change. Now let's go!

"Finnneee," she groans and walks towards the open door. I follow her out, silent even in these horrible heels, and nod to the guards that wordlessly follow us. I catch up to Brynn's brisk strides and we walk in an uncomfortable silence. I would usually try to break the silence with a joke , or something, but I'm too exhausted with her tactics for whatever she is trying to achieve. We walk fir several more minutes before we finally arrive at our destination. The only other contestant here is Lady Calliope FaceChanger of the Orange Rivers wearing a very revealing red dress. She applies another coat of blood red lipstick to her already bloody lips in her reflection on the polished doors next to her. She catches our reflections and turns to us a barely-hidden sneer evident on her face.

"Well, well, look who it is. The mute and the mime!" A mocking tone is evident in her voice as she says this.

Brynn looks to her in a confused expression, the placid smile frozen on her face. "I'm sorry?"

"You know that is what the court calls you two now, right? You," she says, pointing a red nail to me, "are the mute little freak who stands there in sullen silence." "And you," she points another delicately painted nail at Brynn, "are the so called singer that do few have heard sing. You might as well be miming a song while someone else sings, for all we proper fae know!" She smirks at at our stunned expressions.

Brynn recovers quickly, "I guess we'll have to see if I am truly a mime at tonight's performance Lady Calliope." Brynn pauses as a conniving expression gracing her face, "But my nickname isn't nearly as bad as yours, I pity you for many say that you are nothing but a pretty faced poser who bribes judges with her body in order to win." Brynn puts her hand to her face in a mockingly pitiful expression, "That couldn't be true though, Lady, for you are far too prim to do such a thing!" Brynn insinuates what she does in such a suggestive tone that Lady Calliope can't help but show her anger. Her face pinks and her jaw clenches. I've never heard Brynn speak in this way and it surprises me, I hadn't expected her to become so adept at courtly talk in such a short amount of time.

"How dare...!" She starts to shriek.

"Lady Calliope!" A voice sings from the hallway, the clicking of heels can now be heard. It is Karasi and her attendant walking towards us. Lady Calliope puts her practiced smile back on as Karasi approaches. Karasi wears a bubblegum pink dress to match her hair.

Lady Calliope greets Karasi with a nod of her head and says, "Greetings to you Lady Karasi, how are you this morning?"

Karasi has already sensed the practiced venomous words that come out of Lady Calliope's mouth. Her smile tightens ever so slightly before Karasi says, "Greetings to you as well, Lady Calliope, I am well this morning, you?"

"I am doing fine, as well, Lady." Lady Calliope responds.

Karasi turns to us, "And you Lady Brynn and Miss Aerilynn?"