Chapter 54: The Third Competition in the Dark

For the next few days I did as I always had. I listened. I schemed. Whatever was necessary for the benefit of the inner court. What I failed to do though, was notice just how closely the third and final competition was approaching. A third test that Karasi and I were not privy to the details of. Azazel was insistent that we know nothing about it. It was strange to say the least but I had enough on my plate already, so I don't object.

In my free time I trained Melanie in secret. She was learning the trade of healing faster than I ever knew someone could, so I was impressed to say the least. I ordered some new dresses from Xyla with my new pension from the inner court and I tried to gain as much information as I could about the finish and goings of the nobles in the court. Surprisingly there was very little scheming to be heard about. Other than a few petty plans to ruin the dress of a novel lady or another to give food poisoning to another, the castle was quiet and the gossip minimal. Strange to say the least. Nevertheless I made sure to keep my guard up at all times. You never knew when the vipers of the court of silver teeth would decide to bite.

On the morning of the third and last competition, I was interrupted from my morning routine by Karasi bursting in all panicked looking. "We got to dress up!" She says as if it's the worst thing ever hat has ever happened to her.

I give her a quizzical look and sign, Um, yeah?

Karasi only acts more panicked and said, "More than usual," as if that would make me break out into a panicked state as she was. I only waited for her to explain. "We have nothing to wear!" She finally says as she collapses on the floor in dramatics.

What do you mean? Of course we have things to wear. Your severely overloaded closet is evidence of that.

She looks at me horrified, "Wear something we've won before to one of the most important events of the season?" By the appalled look on her face, I sense doing such a thing would be a very, very bad idea. Smiling faintly at her distraught expression, I go to my closet and pull out two of the dresses Xyla had sent over earlier. One was a light purple with a sweetheart neckline and the other a flowy bubblegum pink dress. At the time I had found it strange that Xyla would send me a pink dress, but I was too busy at the time to think something of it. Now thinking back, I believe Xyla had an inkling that Karasi and I would be needing new dresses soon. Karasi looks lovingly at the pink dress as I bring it over and hang it up on the mirror.

This one's yours, I sign, pointing to the pink dress as I hang up my dress on the wardrobe next to it.

Karasi gazes dreamily at the pink poof of a dress I just pulled out, "Your not serious! That is your dress!"

Shaking my head at her, I signed, Xyla dropped them by a couple of days ago. She must have had some kind of warning that we would need new dresses soon, so she dropped these by for the both of us. Motioning for her to get up, Karasi slowly approached the dress as if it were made of glass. Slowly stroking the soft fabric, she lefts out an ear screeching squeal and jumps around my bedroom. Shaking my head at her antics, i lace myself up into the dress Xyla had left for me. Unfortunately a corset had to be worn underneath it, but otherwise it was very comfortable. The fabric was slightly see through, but the crystals gave it the illusion of coverage. The off the shoulder sleeves and sweetheart neckline show off my cleavage and the slit in the side of it shows off my long legs. It's beautiful enough to draw attention, but not flashy enough to make it look as if I'm trying too hard.

Aerilynn's Dress: