Chapter 51: Returning in the Dark

I sneaked into the palace by the window in which I had left. My things were undisturbed and in the same places in which I had left them. Setting down my pack with all my things, I peeked outside to the guards performing their rounds. They had thankfully not seen me, but the frequency and severity of their nightly rounds had increased since my leaving. Strange. I had thought that few would care I was gone and that nothing would change. It seems I was very wrong.

Changing out of my stinky, worn clothing, I ran a bath for myself and soaked in the perfumed oils that I had left behind in the palace. Once I was done with my bath, I got changed into one of my simpler dresses that would be easier to lace up and wouldn't require the help of a maid. Brushing my hair out of its knotted mess, I squared my shoulders and prepared for the onslaught of questions from the inner court that would ensue because of my choice to leave. Sighing, I headed out.

The surprised stares of the guards I passed were noticed, but I ignored them. Soon enough, the entire palace would be abuzz with the news that Lady Aerilynn had returned from her several week vacation. Even though it was late at night, it wouldn't take long for the servants to wake their masters and report the news. I would be getting berated by the inner court by the time the noble ladies heard of my return, so I wouldn't have to worry about their endless questions or simpering smiles until later.

The guards shakily opened the doors to the inner courts meeting room. Other than a few candelabra, there was nobody in sight. The room was dark and the flickering light did little to help me see if there was anyone hiding in the corner of the room. I didn't see him until it was too late. Strong, muscular arms wrapped around me from behind, one at the mouth and the other at the waist. I knew this touch for I had felt it before. Azazel.

He whispered into my ear, "Welcome back, Lady Aerilynn," his voice held great anger. The rough, angry tones of his voice did nothing but heighten what his strong arms were doing to my body. I felt my nipples peak as he continued to angrily breathe onto my neck. Luckily the dress I was wearing had many layers, so my peaked nipples did not show, but my slightly faster breaths were noticed. Slowly Azazel took his hand from my mouth and slid it down until it was cupping my neck. He increased his grip ever so slightly, giving himself the illusion of control. Truth be told, I didn't mind his rough grip on my waist or throat. Instead it only made the slick warmth between my thighs become even wetter.

I went to free my hands so that I could sign to him, but he quickly restrained my hands and put his arm around my waist once more. "Nuh, uh, Lady. You will speak so that I know you are only telling me truths."

Nodding reluctantly, I manage to speak, "I'm surprised you are not yelling at me for my abrupt departure." It was a half truth. I knew he would be angry at me and am surprised that he is not acting so, but I had a slight inkling of a feeling that he would not yell at me as he had done previously.

"I figured a different approach would be more likely to sink in since yelling at you didn't seem to do the trick last time," He says. Before I can ask another question, he interrupts me and asks, "Why did you leave this time?"

"I had more pressing matters elsewhere for time being and I thought I would be more use there than here," I respond. Half truths was all it was, but it was enough that I could speak it out loud without any consequences.

"Where is there?" He asks. Of course he would ask that. He would want y to I know where I hid from him so that he could find me if I did it again.

"I am not going to answer that." I say simply. This seems to irritate him more because his hold on my waist tightens even more.

"Very well, then." He says slowly, "What were these pressing matters that kept you away?"

It seemed no matter to keep this particular truth from him, "There's a child that I cared about before I came here. My enemies would try to get to her to harm me, so i needed to get her somewhere safe." I sense surprise at my words. Azazel didn't expect that to be my answer.

"So you left because of a child?" He asks, confirming my answer. He surprise loosens his grip just enough to where I'll be able to escape his hold. I do just that and sweep his feet from underneath him, slamming his hard, muscles body to the floor as I go so.

"It was one of the many reasons, but yes, she needed to be safe," I seethed at him through clenched teeth. A rough laugh escapes him before he kicks out the back of my knee and makes me lose balance, so I land on my back opposite him on the floor.

"I must say, " he says seductively, "It is a treat to see you lose your cool after seeing you as nothing but cool and collected for so long."

His teasing words get a small smile out of me as I reply, "Strangely, you in particular make me do that a lot." I'm not embarrassed to tell that to him or admit how much he had riled me in the past few weeks. My cool facade that I had spent many years perfecting went up in smoke when he was around. It wasn't just his looks or the way he handled his duties as High King. No, it was more than that. I couldn't pinpoint it quite yet, but when I did I would make sure to stop that problem before it broke my frozen facade any more than it already had.

Instead of standing up as we should, Azazel and I lay side by side on the cool stone floor. Our previous emotions evaporating to smoke and being replaced with a feeling of calm. I felt content here laying on the floor with Azazel. As strange as it might have been, I doubt either of us minded much. We lay there for what it seemed like hours. We only did so until the candles burned down to their wicks and there was little light left in the room. Suddenly remembering my reason for leaving the Capital city was because of Azazel, i jolted up from the floor and brushed off my skirts. Now that you are considerably less angry at me, Azazel, I'd better head off to bed. It has been a long day and I wish to get some rest before the rest of the inner court bombards me with questions tomorrow.

Azazel sits up from his position on the floor and regards me mournfully, as if he didn't want me to leave. I must be imagining things. The High King of Altreya doesn't wish for anything, especially not my company. "Very Well, Aerilynn. Sleep well, but be warned, Karasi might come and wake you in the night just to vent her anger at you."

I expected as much, Azazel, but thank you for the warning. I sign quietly before curtsying and making my way out of the meeting rooms. The guards give me apprehensive and puzzled looks as I pass back by them. No doubt they expected the High King to rage at me and banish me from the court or something similar. He had done much worse in the past to much more influential fae, but he hadn't done so to me. It was no doubt a very strange occurrence for the High King to not punish me in any way. Slumping on my comfortable bed once more, I lay down on my pillows and hoped to get a few hours of sleep before Karasi no doubt came to ambush me.

Unfortunately I couldn't get Azazel's seductive voice, nor his strong hands out of my mind. The possessive way he had clutched my throat and waist and my body's reaction to it had done nothing to stall my mission to dissuade the tension between us. I thrashed around for a few hours before I realized this need wasn't going away anytime soon. I needed some relief. Now.

Kicking off my sheets, I hiked my nightgown around my bare thighs. Sliding my hand down my body in the posessive way I knew he would, I squeezed one of my breasts as my other hand finally reached my wet curls. The bundle of nerves jolted at the contact, but I continued to stroke the very center of myself and stroked myself as I did so. I knew exactly how Azazel's strong, calluses hands would stroke and tease me. His thick strong fingers would pump in and out of me to a rough, unsteady rhythm. My breath started coming out in harsh pants as I imitated what I knew he would do.  Stroking myself, I turned my head into my fluffy pillow as I moaned, "Azazel..." trying to cover up my desperate moans. Settling back into the pillows once more, I started stroking myself again. I came a few more times that night imagining all the ways I would like Azazel to fuck me. This tension between us wasn't going away anytime soon and in my orgasmic haze, I didn't mind one bit.