Chapter 89: Tears in the Dark

Thank You to @checha0315 for your support of A Song of Silence! Every favorite and comment means the world to me!!!

Despite the heels and the ruined dress that wore that was sure to make me stand out, I escaped the palace relatively unscathed. The other prisoners clutched at the bars and pleaded with me to let them out. Despite the empathy I now held for them, Azazel was a fair ruler and these prisoners would not be in the dungeons for no reason. Averting my eyes, I silently walked up the stone staircase until I reached a main hallway. In order to keep hidden, I jumped out the nearest window and hung onto the windowsill. I could easily run through the palace gardens at this point and escape past the wall, but I owed Azazel an explanation. He deserved to know everything and I felt it would reassure me for my oncoming death sentence if I got everything off my chest.

Leaping down into the dark gardens, I ditched my heels and made my way towards my rooms. Hopefully Azazel wouldn't have found every one of my weapons stashed in the room. Climbing up onto my balcony, I entered my rooms through the glass doors. To my complete and utter surprise, the room was just as I had left it. My clothes were strewn about. My weapons and suit were still hidden around the room. My leftovers from this afternoon still lay on my bedside table. Why would Azazel not search my room after learning the truth? Why would he leave my things alone. If I had been in his position, I would have torn his room and his things apart in my anger.

Yet, maybe that was why he was the High King and I was not. Despite the love I thought we shared, Azazel and I were vastly different people. He had changed from an arrogant, selfish, playboy to a strong, ruthless, and fair ruler. I on the other hand was still as spiteful, cruel and selfish as I had always been. Keeping secrets from those I cared about. Sacrificing everything for nothing and being cruel because I could. Maybe there was a good fucking reason I had never found myself in a position of power. It corrupts even the best of people and I am far from the best. Only Azazel keeps me sane, but without him, life just doesn't seem worth living.

The truth of my heartbreak hits me like a ton of bricks. I drop to my knees, uncontrolled sobs wracking out of me. My fear, my remorse, my regret. They all hit me at once and the hopelessness of my situation wracks me to my core. I could win this duel, I needed to, but after that, well I saw a life that I did not want to live. No friends. No family. Enemies at every turn. It was no life and I saw the irony that I now loathed them life that I used to be do enamored with. My old life was safe. My old life was predictable, but I found that life no longer appealed to me anymore. A life without the man I loved and the friends I had made had no appeal. It was like going back to a life of black and white when I had just discovered color.

Regaining what composure I could, I rose from the floor and brushed my tears from my face. The High Queen did not give me that key to go wallow in my own misery in the comfort of my rooms. She gave me the key so that the only life taken would be one, my own. Although I did not relish the idea of possibly dying, I knew it was a necessity to save thousands of others. Grabbing my leather armor, I quickly shed my ruined dress and donned the dark clothing. It was made of thick, yet flexible material that I was sure to need in the coming duel. The Grand Assassin would take no chances in the coming duel. Either I would kill him or he would take my own life. There were no other options. Not anymore.

My train of thought brought me to a halt. Wait a moment. There was another option, but it was ridiculous. Unthinkable. Foolish. And yet the Grand Assassin would not see it coming. Nobody would not even Azazel. The thought of him sours my mood once more, but I am now too focused at the task at hand. Quickly putting my ragged hair in a tight braid, I quickly slip out of my room and head towards my destination.

————————————————————————

Everything had gone according to plan. Or at least I hoped it would. There was no telling if it would be too late and I would be dead or it would be too early and my scheme would be fooled. I just had to pray that anyone out there listening would let this go according to plan.

The wind whistled in my ears as Millie galloped away from the castle. How Azazel hadn't noticed me leaving way beyond me, or maybe he didn't care. Either way the shadow mark between my legs would allow him to follow me easily. I just had to hope he didn't interrupt me before I could kill my father. Or maybe Azazel would watch as I died at my fathers hand. Maybe what the High Queen had said was true and my betrayed had sent Azazel pacing in his office, wondering what to do. If he hadn't discovered my escape and did so later in the night, I was sure to know. The world would shake with the force of his anger to be sure.

Despite her exhaustion, Millie sensed the urgency of our mission and kept on moving. I desperately wanted to stop her and let her get some rest, but time was a ticking. The Grand Assassin had set the meeting place at the Assassins keep. My father owned a massive colosseum that would host many for the spectacle. No doubt he told many far and wide about the contest hoping to scare me out of appearing and fighting. He knew I didn't like to fight with an audience just as I knew that he didn't like to look weak. Both of our weaknesses could be used against us by the other. In fact, ever since I was taken from the adoptive mother, Miranda, I had studied the man that trained me. His every movement, his every gesture, I watched. No doubt he did the same to me once he learned of my power and my heritage. It would make for one hell of a spectacle that is to be sure.

When it seemed Millie could go no further, I stopped her and let her rest. The night still had many hours until the sun rose and still I knew that I had the chance of not making it in time. But I had to try. I had to aster precious time writing a letter to Azazel and leaving it in his room, but I thought it better that I leave something than disappearing out of thin air. I hoped he would find it. In the letter I explained everything and pleaded with him to take my life after I defeated my father. Too much was at stake if I was killed beforehand. Letting Millie get her fill of water and the sparse grass nearby, I mounted her once more and set her back into a trot. In a few minutes we were back on the road to the Assassisn keep. I hated to strain Millie like this, but it was necessary to get to the keep in time.

The feeling of Azazel's rage hit me hours late. No in the form of the world shaking of shadows appearing all around me. No Azazel chose to make his anger known through the brand between my legs. It hadn't shown any sign of movement since Azazel had used his power to make it move all those days ago. But now, it writhed on the most sensitive part of my flesh in rage. Either he had discovered my absence or he had found my letter. Both sent him into a rage, yet he didn't shadow port to my location and drag me bag to the Capital. Instead, he teased me. Over and over again he teased my nipples and every inch of flesh between my legs with his shadows. I was a writhing, groaning mess on top of Millie. I was close to coming numerous times, but Azazel's shadows stopped when I came close. It was a special kind of torture. Hours it seemed it went on and I could do nothing but curse his name. It was only when the Assassins keep came into sight that the shadows settled once more leaving me unsatisfied and moody as I approached a death sentence.