Chapter 15: Flashbacks in the Dark

*Early publishing for this and next chapter!* Hope you enjoy!

Lord Jameson EmotionManipulator

————————————————————————

Brynn did not speak to me when we both returned from the ball. Very well, if that was how things were going to be, I wouldn't speak with her either. We both went to our rooms and did not come out. The next morning passed with the same silence. The only break was when I had summoned Xyla to go over payment for the dress.

Just take the money. It must have taken you weeks to work on it.

"It did my dear friend, but I refuse to take any compensation for it. The look on the other contestants faces when they saw you in it is payment enough! Not to mention the orders I am receiving from noble ladies because they saw you in that dress!" Xyla says. Brynn watches our argument with prying eyes, saying nothing.

Fine, don't take the payment, but I'll find some way to get it to you.

"Do you know no concept of a gift?" Xyla asks. I scowl at her words. Of course I did, but I disliked taking such extravagant gifts nonetheless. "Consider the dress a gift, Aerilynn!" Xyla pleads with me, tired of arguing. I shrug my shoulders in defeat.

Fine, a gift it is. But I don't want any other similar gifts in the future, understood?

"I make no promises," Xyla responds cheekily. I sigh at her antics. "Come,"she glanced at Brynn's angry form as she gets up from the breakfast table and walks away, "let's walk in the gardens and you can tell me about the upcoming competition." I nod in agreement, desperate to get away from Brynn's angry silence. We make our way to the gardens, a guard in tow.

"So, tell me about the competitions!" Xyla squeals. I wave for the guard to give us done space.

Well, Madame Dietra told us this morning that the competitions will not only be a test of skill, but if versatility as well.

"Versatility?"

Like instead of just singing or dancing, the High King and his seneschal will be testing for creativity, appearance, and so forth.

"Brynn's sure to succeed at that right?" Xyla asks.

Well....no. I don't think so anyway.

"What do you mean no?"

Brynn has only ever studied in universities for her voice. No dancing, painting or anything else. She knows how to sing really well, but she can't be versatile with how she performs.

"I've heard that her shows are breathtaking though," Xyla argues.

That they are, but other than a few knife tricks I've taught her, Brynn can't add to her performance to the levels of a court performer.