Chapter 47: Traveling in the Dark

Millie loved to ride. As did I. So that is exactly what we did. In the dark to the middle of the day, we rode. On and on and on we went, putting more ground between Azazel and I. I couldn't help but realize that I was being cowardly in running away from my feelings and with them, my problems, but I saw no other solution to the pain in my chest. The hurt I had no right to feel in my heart. I needed time and the best way to get that was to get away from the Capital city. Karasi had been given her dose of medicine days ago, so she wouldn't need me for about a week and a half more. The entire inner court was sure to ask questions, but I had left no note and my room was left in disarray. Let us hope they aren't foolish enough to send out a search party for me.

I stop Millie about midday at an inn. The place is fairly clean, but if you looked close enough, you could see the poverty that lay within. Broken down windows and boarded up stores. The High Kings power only reached so far and the enforcers of his so called "money acts" that had been put in place to try to bring people out of poverty had only filled the pockets of the enforcers of the acts. The people hadn't seen a cent of it and nobody had gone to petition the High King because, well they would believe a well-spoken, rich fae male over a poverty stricken one. Even fifty miles from the Capital city, the High King was unaware of the truth of those that served under him.

When Azazel had taken me to the village, I believe he had wanted me to see the good that he had done for those around the Capital city. Instead of the intended effect, admiration, it instilled disappointment in me. Not for Azazel, but for the fae that served him. That took his generosity and kept it all for themselves. If Azazel found out the truth it would be a bloodbath, of course, they didn't call him the dark king for nothing. But Azazel's obliviousness would serve its purpose, for now, and then I would make sure he knew exactly who was duping him and watch as they lay in the graves in which they had dug with their deceit.

I kept a low profile when I checked into the inn and made sure to flash my dagger at anyone who looked my way a bit too long. I didn't need any unwelcome visitors tonight, though it was still a few hours away. Bringing Millie's tack to the stable boy, he asked where the horse was that came with it. I flipped him a coin to pay for his silence. His eagerly ran off with the tack and I returned to the town square, eager for some food that looked more appetizing than the gruel served at the inn. As hard to find as it was, the food that I finally found was somewhat decent. Better than the majority of the food in town. As I sat down at my booth in the back corner, I listened to the gossip of those in the bar. Because the food was good, there were many customers and therefore a lot of gossip to be heard.

"Yeah, Geraldine is quite the beauty, I think I might ask to marr..." I stopped listening to that lovesick fool. If anything was to be believed, Geraldine would take his money and leave him broken-hearted. Next.

"My bitch just had another litter of pups just this year. Good, strong dogs. I'll trade you one for some of your crop next season." He must be quite desperate for food to trade a newborn pup. Next.

"I heard there has been a search for some lady..." my ears perked up at this, "traveling alone. They've got a hefty reward for any information on her."

"Any idea who put the search out?" One asked.

"Someone high up in the royal court, I hear. Some say the seer herself, but I don't believe it. Why would the Capital city concern itself with one little lady?" Oh Karasi, you fool. She had probably become frantic upon finding me missing. It had been less than twenty four hours and she already had a search party out or something. She must have had a vision or something. The males continue talking, "Think there is a chance the lady could be here? I mean, we're not far from the Capital." They then begin to subtly look around the room, scanning each and every passerby to see if they could be me. Luckily, I had hidden myself well, so they were unable to spot me. I waited a few more hours in the tavern trying to hear more. I was woefully disappointed. After receiving yet another glare from the owner of the tavern for loitering in my seat. I reluctantly got up and headed out the side door in which I had come. The tavern was deserted so there were no busybodies trying to look under my hood to see if I was the girl the seer was looking for. I returned to my room and fell into bed, exhausted from my long ride.

————————————————————————

The next morning I woke bright and early in order to try to get ahead of any search party sent by Karasi. Quickly grabbing my things, I went into town and bought a few loaves of bread, a couple pounds of cheese, and refilled my water flask. In order to avoid detection by the search parties I would need to stay off main roads and stick to paths that did not lead into towns. Therefore I couldn't restock my provisions for a while, at least, until I got to the more rural villages that would not hear of the search for me. Grabbing Millie and patient he stable hand well for his silence, I set off in the early hours of the morning, set on getting away from the Capital city and the fae looking for me.

Millie and I stopped about midday once more to get some well needed rest and find a fresh stream to refill my water flask. It would be more stealthy to travel at night, so I found a covered canopy in the woods and set up my camp for the rest of the day. Once camp was set up, I set Millie free to go graze and rest and then I grabbed my knives and went hunting. A squirrel and two quail were my only quarry for today, but I didn't need more to eat. Besides, traveling with dead animals was sure to attract predators and what I really didn't need was to fight wolves and the like in the middle of the night.

The sunset woke me up. It was a beautiful thing to behold, but I didn't have the time to waste, so I packed my things and called Millie. In less than an hour, we were on the road again, but in the dark of night. I didn't need a torch to see, the Grand Assassin made sure that hood vision in the dark was part of my training. Sighing and settling in on Millie's back, I knew it would be a long couple of days of hard riding. Great.

————————————————————————
SilverHollow greeted me warmly in the fresh morning light in which I arrived. I made sure to take a path I had discovered years prior in order to get there. No doubt the search parties would think to look for me in SilverHollow first, so I had to make sure I arrived undetected. The path I had taken was treacherous and was widely roamed by many predators, but I was finally able to use my lighting after so long and dried any predators that came near. Only the baker and the blacksmith were up so early, so I made sure to steer clear. The orphanage children were moved to SilverHollow this time of year, they were easier to take care of this way, or so I hear. I quickly crept to the back garden of the building. I hear only children's soft snores inside.

"Miss Aeri?"A little voice says behind me. I struggle not to look startled as I turn back to the little girl that had snuck up on me. Few managed to do that. Little blonde curls and pretty bluebell eyes greet me. Just the little girl I was looking for. Rose.

What are you doing out here, Rosie? I sign. Many of the orphanage children were taught sign language, per my request, so she understood most of my question.

"Birdie came and said go with you when you came." She says simply, unsure of her words st first, but then she glows with confidence. She had grown much since I had last seen her all those months ago. Her speech had marvelously improved, she was a little talker and her cheeks were a little less chubby-like. She looked so much like her father.

Birdie? I ask, confused.

"My friend," she says holding out her small arm only to have a crow land on it, barely older than a chick but still able to fly. Strange. Looking at the now rising sun, I told Rose to quietly grab her things. I left a pre written note for the matron of the orphanage telling her it was I that took Rose. The matron knew I would never harm a child, so she wouldn't panic at Rose's disappearance. Roses linked down with the few things she owned and I led her to where Millie waited. We both got onto the saddle and I set Millie off yo the path in which we had come. We couldn't stop for the matron would alert the search parties that would come for me of rose's disappearance. This was going to be a long night.