Chapter 45: A Presentation in the Dark

The double doors whooshed open and the many eyes of the court looked to me. Some with jealousy and scrutinization, others with anger and scorn. I didn't let their emotions bother me and instead let them fuel me. String down towards the Hugh Queen confidently, I didn't look or care about any of the petty cruel women that surrounded me. I wouldn't have  even seen Guinevere and the gloating look on her face had she not almost been at the front of the room, in perfect view of my sweeping gaze. Ah. The news wouldn't have reached her yet. She's gloating because she believes she has won. That I wouldn't retaliate. In truth, I hadn't, but taking Zion somewhere where Guinevere wasn't, was enough revenge for me.

Ignoring Guinevere's gloating look, I merely walked past her and returned my gaze to the High Queen. She sat regally and fill of poise up on her dias. She looked approvingly at my apparel and gave me a slight smile as I walked towards her. She sat surrounded by five of her handmaidens, her closest advisors and protectors in the court. They were loyal to nobody but the High Queen and answered to nobody but her as well. Once I had reached the foot of the road, I bowed gracefully to her and made my way back to where I had spotted Karasi. We waited for a few more moments before the High Queen began her greetings. The High Queen stood up and said, "Welcome all on this lovely day! Drink, eat, talk, enjoy yourselves as always!" With that short address, the High Queen sits down and the talking begins.

Karasi and I put ourselves on the outskirts of the gathering, sitting at a small table laden with an assortment of treats. "So, how is Akilah?" Karasi asks.

Well enough, I suppose. She's like any other puppy in the potty training phase, of course, but she is smart for her age and quite playful when she wants to be.

"Ah, so not too much trouble then?"

No. My words trail off as I notice the suspicious tone to Karasi's voice. What are you trying to get at? I know your trying to do something, I've yet yo figure out what though.

Karasi shrugs her shoulders, "I just find it funny how Azazel personally took you to get a puppy when he could have gotten a servant yo do it, that's all."

Shaking my head at her antics, I sign, You're reading too much into it. Azazel did so because he noticed how lonely I was. It was kind of him to do it and I thanked him for it. Karasi shrugs her shoulders again, not believing me. I know you and some of the court are trying to set him up with someone. Maybe me. Maybe one of the court. I don't give a shit. What I do care about is not letting him decide for himself whether he wants to fall in love at all.

Karasi seems stunned at my words, "Aeril..."

I stop her before she can continue, My advice is to stop trying to read into and mess with our friendship or any of the other relationships he has. You are just going to make things worse. Karasi goes to speak again, but I stop her one final time, Have you ever thought that he hasn't tried to find a wife because the entire inner court seems to keep meddling? Karasi seems unsettled by this thought. A strange thing indeed for mist would find it impossible to stump a seer who sees so much of the future.

A manservant comes up beside me, I look to him in confusion. "My lady, the High Queen requests your presence and asks you to join her in her group for tea." Strange, the High Queen never specially asks for anyone to join her gaggle of ladies. Nodding, I look to Karasi as I stand up.

Karasi shakes her head, "She asked for your presence, not mine. Go, I'll be fine here until you return." Reluctantly I turn back to the manservant and nod for him to lead be yo the High Queens group. He does so. As we walk, I make not of those in her little group. Her dove handmaidens, of course, though they make little conversation and seem to be scanning the room for constant threats. Lily Prill and Guinevere sat at the edge of the High Queens circle talking to each other, scheming something no doubt.

They don't notice my presence until the manservant introduces me, "Your Majesty, Lady Aerilynn," he says before slinking back to wherever he had come from. I curtsy again to High Queen Sylvia and look for somewhere to sit. There are no places except for next to the High Queen. It is considered disrespectful for someone to sit next to the High Queen without invitation.

High Queen Sylvia notices and motions next up her and says, "Come and chat with me, Lady Aerilynn."

Nodding again, i sign, thank you, Your Majesty and swiftly sit next to her. I notice Guinevere and Lady Prill giving me scathing looks out of the corner of my eye. Both had probably been vying for the seat I now sat in and weren't exactly thrilled that someone who signed most of their conversations now sat in it. Letting a small smile curl on my face for them to see, I couldn't help but delight in their outraged expressions as they noticed it.

"So, Lady Aerilynn, how are you liking your time in the palace?" She asks, trying to make conversation in light of my obvious silence.

Very well, Your Majesty. I have seen so much of the palace and yet, there are still some places that I haven't been too yet. It feels as if it might take months to see it all.

The High Queen laughs at my words, "Ah yes, it took me a great many years to view the entirety of the palace myself, let alone memorize it in order to live here." The nobility, who had been listening in all chuckle with the High Queen. I nod once more, now nervous at the nobility that look to me for my next words.

Indeed, Your Majesty. I will try to see as much as I can before my duties elsewhere hold more precedence.

The High Queen regards me strangely, "You do not wish to stay in the Capital city for long?"

No, Your Majesty. It is indeed a delight to be here and I cannot thank your family enough for your generosity towards me, but I have responsibilities that will soon beckon me elsewhere. The High Queen studies me as a puzzle she can't figure out. Maybe she is confused by my brief explanation or that I hold no anger about her role in my mothers death. The truth of the matter is she was distraught and the Grand Assassin took advantage of her distraught state to find out where my mother had hidden herself. I did not blame High Queen Sylvia for my mothers death. Only the Grand Assassin, who I would surely take care of once my work in the Capital city was done.

Snapping me out of my thoughts, the High Queen says, "So you will not stay to put your hand in the pool to become the High Queen?" She asks carefully. At hearing this question, the chatter of the noble ladies around us, ceases. They all hold their breath, abating, waiting for my answer.

No, Your Majesty. I say simply. The noble ladies around us let out their bated breaths in what could be relief or mocking. They teen turn back to their original conversations content that I was no competition.

"May I ask why," The High Queen asks, confusion clear across her face.

Becoming the next High Queen would be the dream of any fae female here. But it is not mine. Becoming the next High Queen comes with power and in my experience, power corrupts, even when you don't mean for it to.

"So it has nothing to do with Azazel personally, then?" She asks.

No, Your Majesty. Azazel and I tolerate each other just fine. I think he is a great High King and that he will choose wisely when he takes a wife. I just don't wish that wife to be me.

The High Queen hmm's to herself before saying, "I heard that Azazel recently took you to adopt a puppy recently?"

I nod eagerly, "Yes, Akilah is my new puppy. He was kind enough to bring me to them and let me adopt one." A large bell, signaling it was lunchtime, rings.

The High Queen stands up and addresses the crowd, "Well, that adjourns our time for today, ladies! I hope to see you all tomorrow!" She directs those last words at me. With that the noble ladies disperse out the doors and I go to find Karasi. I stop in my tracks once I find Karasi as the High Queens last words finally sink in. Tomorrow! I have to do this entire think over again tomorrow!! Karasi notices my distressed expression and merely laughs. Shit.