Chapter 41: A Warning in the Dark

Melanie NoteSong

Then next few days passed without any more stories being told to the noble ladies

Then next few days passed without any more stories being told to the noble ladies. Or that's what I would hear. With any luck, Brynn-no Guinevere would have taken my threat seriously and I wouldn't have any more problems.

Karasi had become increasingly burdened with visions as of late, so I attended to her and accompanied her wherever she went. The blend of herbs I learned from my mother did well with helping Karasi recover from the burden of her power. Now that I was making the tonic more, it reminded me of my true reason for being in the court in the first place. Finding a healer to replace me and give Karasi the tonic once I left the Capital city. Karasi would and had found any issue with any of my previous candidates, so I would have to find and train someone in secret. Someone who I knew she would find no issue with. Melanie.

I found her on her way to the kitchens, a tray of tea in her hands. She seemed shocked that I approached her and even more so when I spoke, "You are willing to boss me around and not take shit from me. Would you be willing to do the same for someone higher up than me?"

Melanie seemed stunned that I could speak, but she then said confidently, "Yes, miss."

I nodded, "I heard from Xyla that you had wished to become a healer and go to the university here in the capital, as well."

Melanie responds the same, "Yes, miss."

"Very well, then. I can take care of your university troubles. All that I ask when you graduate is that you gone and apprentice under me." I say.

"What is the price?" She asks. Ah, I knew she was smart.

"That you become the personal healer to Karasi when I leave." I whisper. Melanie looks shocked at my words, but quickly tries to recover. I continue, "That means having a target on your back and never being able to hide in the shadows as a servant again. Do you think you can do that?"

Melanie nods frantically yes. I smile and say, "I'll contact you when everything at the university is set up. You won't have to be a servant ever again after that." With those parting words, I stride off down a side hallway, leaving Melanie dazed and elated as she walked with her tray.

————————————————————————

The Healers university was thrilled to receive my letter. No matter their prestige, not many had the funds or the wish to become a healer in todays world. Thanks to my expensive prices when I was a mercenary for hire and my generous wage from the High family for being Karasi's healer, I had plenty of funds to send Melanie to the healers university. It would be a while, but Karasi would not be thrilled when she learned of my scheming. I could not stay in the Capital city forever and Melanie knows enough about Karasi and I from Xyla that she will have no trouble bossing Karasi about to get her to take the tonic. A perfect replacement for me when I chose to leave.