Chapter 115: News in the Dark

Thank you to @Mponemash for your support of A Song of Silence and my writing journey! I couldn't have made it this far without each and every one of you all!!

Also, thank you to everyone for the 35k reads!!! My gosh that is an amazing milestone!! Thank you to everyone for helping me get this far!!!

The next morning, I woke before Azazel once more and quickly bathed and changed before he woke. I knew if he woke again we would only ravish each other further. The evidence was all over the bed that we had newly christened last night. Hence, I quickly changed into one of the fabulous everyday dresses that Xyla had left for me and walked out of our suites. Azazel might be angry that I had left so early, but I left a note for him on the pillow. He could find me very quickly anyway if he truly needed to see me.

The maids now no doubt suspected something had changed between Azazel and I due to the heavy scrutinizing I got from them as I passed. No doubt they were looking for a mating mark of some kind to confirm their suspicions. Luckily for me, Azazel's mark was quite discreet in the way that nobody would see it but him. I on the other hand had left a large hand shaped scar on the left side of his neck. The majority of his clothes would cover the majority of the mark and the rest would be left to stick out of the top of his collar. No doubt the servants would get their answers from Azazel when he finally appeared from our bedroom.

Finding little to do within the palace at the moment, I made my way outside and hailed a carriage. It quickly look me to Xyla's shop. Walking inside, her shop was bustling with customers and young ladies from all around. When the doorbell chimed, lots and lots of eyes turned to me. Some in awe, others in disgust. Many in envy. Their states didn't bother me as I passed to walk to the back of the shop. When I reached the back of the shop, I found Xyla, sewing as she always was. Several dresses were in front of her, all seeming to have their final touches put on them. "Those are some fine pieces I'd artwork, girly." I say to her.

She looks over to me, an elated look immediately appearing on her face as she rushed over to me and gave me a tight hug. "You can't have any of them," she says, letting me go, "I spent ages on that wardrobe only for you to probably never wear them, the dresses at least, in the future."

"You know my style pretty well. I'll do my best to wear them all when I can." I reply.

"Thank goodness. I'd kill you myself if you didn't."

"Speaking of that wardrobe, I came over here to thank you for making it and so spectacularly by the way." I say.

Xyla shrugs off the compliment and says, "Oh it was a joy to make believe me, but that male of yours was quite demanding. He would stop by every so often to look over the dresses and growl something about speeding up the timeframe that we could make them. Despite all his growling, that male does pay well. My pockets were bulging after i sent all the dresses off."

"Only you would call Azazel my male."

"Well, he is your male now, isn't he?"

I blush at the memories. Oh, Azazel is definitely my male. "I suppose."

"You suppose? Girl, half the city seems to know that you are his female before you will admit it!"

"Half the city? How did they find out?"

"When the High King disappears for days on end after you reappear looking as emaciated as you did, the entire city supposed something. But when the High Queen stops wearing her crown to her tea parties two days after you come back, everybody knew something was up."

"How did she know then?"

"Hell if I know. Legend says that a High Queen can feel the shift in power when the High King finally chooses his mate, but I think that's just bullshit. She probably got some gossip from the servants and stopped wearing her crown when she sensed the dip in her magic."

"But I'm not technically crowned. That means I'm technically not the High Queen yet."

"Bitch, mate magic doesn't give a shit about being crowned or not. In its eyes, you are his mate and the former High Queen is now the Dowager Queen. A crowning is just a formality for the people to signify a change in power in the history books."

"Oh." Is all I can reply.

"Yeah oh. Which means the High Queen of the realms should not have left the castle without her guard," she says reprimanding me.

"High Queen or not, I can take care of myself, " I say gesturing to my lightning hand and the many weapons that are clearly visible on my body.

"That is besides the point. You need guards around you to show that you value Azazel's protection and the skills of his chosen guardsmen. You insult them all when you walk around undefended." Xyla replies.

"Why's all this shit got to be so confusing and twisted around. I just wanted to come see my friend without all the strings attached. Is that such a hard thing to do?"

"Unfortunately for a female of your status, yes. I appreciate you coming too see me, I truly do, but I would appreciate it more of you took some guards with you for my piece of mind."

"Ill think about it."

"That's my girl."

"Sorry about your shop by the way. My presence no doubt scared all the customers away."

"Pfft. They were all empty headed idiots anyway. They only came in here to ask if I knew anything about the new rumors." Hugging Xyla goodbye and promising to visit more often, I hail another carriage and ask them to take me back to the palace. They take one look at my lightning hand and my eyes and recognize me immediately. Let's just say we were on our way very quickly.

My arrival back at the palace is rather rushed. One the carriage pulls up and I step out I am swarmed by noble ladies of every kind. They barrage me with questions and conversation. All their chatter is enough to make my head spin.

"How are you, Lady Aerilynn?"

"Are you doing well?"

"Is it true about you and the High King?"

"I would be the best ladies maid. I'm available whenever."

"Will you host tea parties like the Dowager Queen does?"

"When is your coronation?"

"How did you and the High King fall in love?"

I am too overwhelmed to answer any of their questions and only quickly realize walk to the palace as quickly as I can. Their dresses hamper their walking, but that doesn't stop me from trying to outdistance them and their senseless chatter. "That is enough!" A booming voice says. Looking up I see that it is Azazel's mother, the Dowager Queen now looking at me. The noble ladies all now to her and respectfully address her in fear. "All of you are dismissed," she says coldly. The noble ladies disappear as fast as their legs can carry them leaving the Dowager Queen and I staring at each other. "I hear congratulations are in order." She says coldly.

I roll my eyes, "Fucking hell. Did everyone in this damn city know it by sunrise?"

"A change in power is no slight thing. No coronation or not, gossip about a change in power will spread through the streets faster than the plague."

"It didn't help when you stopped wearing your crown."

"Oh don't sound too excited to be the new High Queen," she says sarcastically. "Besides, I'd been waiting for my son to settle down for years. The fact that he finally found a woman he thinks is worthy is enough for me."

"Until there is a coronation, I'm not accepting that damn title."

"Oh pish posh. If Azazel had anything to say about it, which he probably will, you will be married and crowned quite soon. And maybe giving me a few grandchildren if I'm lucky."

"Pfft. In your dreams. I will be in charge if that and I am in no rush to be married or crowned High Queen. And also any grandchildren, if any, will be born many, many years from now."

"If you say so," she says in a very irritating, sing-song voice.

"Whatever," is all I say before stomping up the castle steps and walking as far away as I can from Azazel's insufferable mother.