Chapter 88: A Key in the Dark

Thank You to @AnneMarie371 for your following and support of A Song of Silence. Also thank you to the readers that consistently read my new chapters every week. I couldn't do this without y'all!!

The hours passed in my dark cell. I was utterly alone and isolated from every other prisoner. The silence and the solitude used to not bother me, but much had changed in the past few months. I mourned the dress that Azazel had specially made for me. It was the most beautiful dress I had ever encountered and the dirty and ragged remnants of it only served to remind me of the revelations of last night.

The High King had no doubt hoped Azazel would kill me before the duel, so that my father wouldn't have to fight me himself. I had thought Azazel would kill me tonight, but he surprised me by leaving the dungeons. I imagined Azazel was pacing several floors above me. Back and forth, back and forth he would go. Thinking, planning, scheming, and I was no part of it. It was one thing I loved about him. His sharp wit was the only other that I had encountered that could keep up with my own. It was invigorating, and slightly arousing, when we sparred together in a battle of tongues and minds. It was thrilling and quite honestly fun. We wouldn't be resuming those debates any longer though. Azazel probably can't stand the sight of me and even if he could, I was a constant reminder that his father was dead.

Either way, I needed to be out of here before midnight. Azazel may have allowed his clouded judgement to keep me in here, but I found it no excuse. Those orphans blood would not willingly be on my hands. I had several hours until then though, so I could only hope Azazel regained his sense before I had to do something drastic. I could not even feel a whisper of my magic because of the silent stone chains and the silent stone prison that surrounds me. I could easily break my thumbs to get out of the chains, but getting out of the cell with no noise was another story. I did not have the keys to the cell and the bars were to small for me to squeeze through. Everything in the cell was mailed to the wall, so I couldn't use it and no food had been delivered, nor had I seen any signs of a guard. In short, I was completely and utterly alone and it would take a miracle to get out of my cell in time.

So, I sat on the cold floor, ruining my already dirty dress even further, and waited. And waited. And waited. No signs of good. No signs of life. No hope to get out of this cell in time. Unknowingly, I fell asleep from exhaustion and was woken up by the sounds of steps on the stairs. They did not sound like Azazel's feet. In fact they didn't sound like boots either. They sounded like.... heels?

Indeed my ears did not deceive me as the High Queen herself walked around the corner disgust evident on her face. My mouth must have popped open in complete surprise because the High Queen looked up and snapped at me sharply, "Close your mouth, you foolish girl. Your going to attract flies in this horrible place." My mouth quickly snaps shut as I wait for the High Queen to reach my cell. She does so quite slowly because she attempts to keep her elegant gown from scraping the dirty walls of the silent stone dungeon. She stops before me and looks me up and down as I regard her silently. "Well what a sight you are, my dear," she says as she shakes her head at me.

"There's not exactly a fresh bath or even a meal being given to me, You Majesty, so please excuse my current state of dress," I say with all the snark I can muster.

The High Queen tsks at me and says, "Now that's no attitude to have Aerilynn. All is not lost yet, don't you worry."

I shake my head at her in bewilderment, "What in all the blasted hells are you on about? Azazel is not going to set me free. Not even with a blood oath to return."

The High Queen purses her lips at me, "Oh don't worry Aerilynn, you sent my son into a tizzy when the truth of what you had done was revealed. Not to mention he is wearing holes in the castle floor from all the pacing he is doing up there."

"He's not angry?" The words spring out of me before I can stop them. My mouth snaps shut at a futile attempt to stop my true emotions from surfacing. It fails and the High Queen sees right through my actions.

Her mouth curls into a small smile at my curiosity, "No. Not anymore. He was at first and he told me of your conversation. What he said to you was unwarranted and cruel, but he wanted you to feel the anguish that he was." That certainly founded like Azazel. He had told me he loved me and then not a day later the truth of my deception was revealed. Not to mention he found out that I had killed his father. No doubt if I had been in his position, I would have said much worse things to him.

"You don't need to defend him. I would have done worse if I was in his position." I say, trying to muster what composure I can.

It doesn't have its intended effect because the High Queen only continues, "I know you would have. I also know that you had every opportunity to run away, to flee and yet, you did not. You let him capture you and put you in this dark, dank place jeopardizing your duel tonight."

"I'm sensing a question somewhere in there."

"Why, " She asks simply, "Why did you not flee as you always have done?"

"Maybe I'm tired of running, " was my only response. Though short, my words make emotion gleam in the High Queen's eye. Could it be satisfaction. But for what. What in all the halls would she be satisfied for?

"You've matured." Is all she says.

"Hard to believe considering how old I am." You'd think I would have nothing to learn at this point."

The High Queen shakes her head, "There is always something to learn Aerilynn, whether you be a decade old or several centuries."

"Is there any other reason you are here? To gloat maybe that you were right that Azazel would freak when he discovered my betrayal."

The light died in the High Queens eyes as I ruined the moment we were having. Her melancholic smile slipped from her face, "I never wished to be right, Aerilynn because I knew it would only lead to heartbreak for the both if you."

"Well, you got your wish anyway." I say snarkily. "Azazel wishes be dead and plans to execute me at dawn most likely."

"Why don't you use your training to escape?" She asks.

I spread my arms around me and spin myself in a circle as if searching the room.  Scathingly, I reply, "Hello! Does it look like I can escape!"

The High Queen rolls her eyes at my antics, "Really? All those tears of training and it was all for nothing?"

"Pretty much."

Sighing in exasperation she throws a small object at me. I catch it before it hits me. Opening my palm, I see a simple black key. My gaze returns to the High Queen, curiosity in my eyes. "Your right about one thing, Aerilynn. You would have done much, much worse if you were in his position." Without another word, she strides out of the room and back up the dark stairs. I study the key still in my palm. Did Azazel instruct her to give it to me? Did she give it to me if her own accord? Whatever it was, I was just glad I had a way to escape to get to the duel in time. Unlocking the door, heading for the duel is just the place I head to.