Chapter 60: An Announcement in the Dark

Thanks to @O_nelly_O for following my chapters and the book as it gets put out. I couldn't do this without you!

Azazel called for the nobles to be present for an announcement the next day and sure enough, the ballroom was packed with nobles waiting for an answer. Karasi and I waited at the edge of the group, as we always did. It didn't stop the mocking stares and scrutinizing eyes from reaching us. No doubt the court of silver teeth was delighted at the fact that Azazel had lost some rule-breaking peasants. It made him look weak. I made him look weak. Shame colored my cheeks that I had caused such a thing to occur. I understood Azazel's reasons for not telling the inner court the true depth of his plan, but all this mocking to his name could have been prevented if he had told us. I couldn't blame him though, I was equally guilty of not sharing my plans.

I could feel the stares of the court of silver teeth as Karasi and I spoke. More so, I could feel the stares of the remaining contestants. Guinevere knew me well, therefore she probably suspected that it had been I who had freed the prisoners. She was probably frustrated that it seemed I would receive no punishment for my disobedience. I m believed Roseline would be chosen as the new court entertainer from Azazel's words yesterday. She was smart, well-practiced, powerful and she could keep the remaining reveled in line. A preventative against further attacks was definitely something we needed right now.

The court hushed as Azazel and his mother finally appeared. He looked the epitome of well-polished, unruffled king. To me though, he looked awfully smug. No doubt from my finally allowing him to bed me. Smug bastard. Azazel caught my stare and a slight smile curved up the corner of his mouth. He wasn't angry at my descent from his rooms? Strange. I would have expected a different reaction other than amusement. What he wouldn't be amused by though, was the lack of his scent on me. I shivered at the thought of his anger. And what would follow. Definitely what would follow. Though that all depended on whether he wanted me again. The thrill of getting me into his bed could have been all that kept his interest. Now that we'd slept together, well maybe he lost interest.

Shaking my head, I got rid of those morose thoughts and focused on the announcement. The High Queen walked next to Azazel. She stood tall and proud. She had a victorious air about her. As if she'd won a bet of some sort, no not a bet. Maybe a challenge that had long stumped her? Whatever it was, the High Queen sure was happy about winning. I had noticed in the morning meetings that the High Queen had held for the noble ladies that the High Queen had been studying me. Not in a scrutinizing way, more of a puzzle she couldn't figure out.

Azazel finally reached the dias where he addressed the waiting crowd, "I will be brief on this announcement. He prisoners previously sentenced by the contestants gave indeed been freed." This proclamation was met with a great amount of murmuring. Azazel didn't seem fazed, though. He merely clapped his hands and the prisoners strutted out clean in finely tailored clothes. The court was taken aback by the scene in front of them. The dirty prisoners they had looked down upon were as finely dressed as them? I smirked at the horrified faces of the nobles. Looking over at Guinevere, I saw her angry glares had turned worried. She thought I was going to be caught, punished, and imprisoned. Now that it was obviously not the case, she looked positively petrified at the glares of the noble ladies that surrounded her. Azazel continued to speak, "These fae played their parts well. At my instruction, they aided in determining who would be the winner of the competition. Each of them helped determine which contestant was the perfect candidate to become the court's new entertainer."

The murmurs became louder now. The announcing of the winner was supposed to be a grand affair and instead, well they're was no celebration in sight and the nobles we hardly in their best attire. "Lady Calliope did not listen to her petitioner and gave the sentencing without listening to her prisoner. Lady Brynn listened to her petitioner, but was overly harsh and unjust in her sentencing. Lady Roseline listened to her petitioner and delivered her sentencing according to the way of the law." The court waited in baited breath. Why, I wasn't sure. It was obvious who Azazel would announce who would be the new court entertainer. That being Lady Roseline . She was graceful, talented, and would be a well-needed addition to the inner court. She would be able to fill in the gap my presence would leave when I finally left the Capital city.

Speaking of leaving the Capital city, I knew it would have to be sooner than I had planned. Males like Azazel were known to be possessive of their bed partners for the little time one female was in their bed. I knew Azazel had already gotten slightly attached to me and would not take it well when I chose to leave. Whenever that would be. Melanie was well prepared to take my place. Karasi liked her, so she wouldn't be turned away when Melanie needed to administer Karasi her medicines. Soon enough Melanie would be a full graduate of the healers academy, so she would be able to take care of any other ailment's the inner court had. When I finally decided to leave the Capital city , it would be as if I had never left.

Azazel's voice snapped me out of my thoughts, "Congratulations to Lady Roseline!" Polite clapping followed Azazel's words as Lady Isolde approached the dias and sunk into a deep curtsy to Azazel and his mother. I looked over at Guinevere and Lady Calliope. Brynn looked bewildered and angry. Lady Calliope looked affronted. She no doubt had always been given things because of her beauty. Now that she had lost, well it probably rankled on her pride.

Lady Roseline rose from her curtsy and was motioned to stand a few steps below Azazel. He continued to speak, "That will be all the announcements for today," Azazel says simply. The court looks slightly miffed at the lack of celebrations, but they all comply and go to leave. Azazel meets my eyes and motions for the inner court. Oh. So we're to meet and let Lady Roseline into our circle. It's a first to be sure. Lady Roseline has questionable loyalty and it will no doubt be toward her people and not the rest of the inner court. I can't blame Lady Roseline for her loyalties, though. If I were in her position, I would no doubt have questionable loyalties if I had thousands of fae that answered to me.

The entire inner court arrived in the meeting rooms before Lady Roseline was allowed permission to enter. She looked confident and victorious as she sauntered into the room. I hated her immediately. Her gaze scanned over each of us, studying and searching. Who she was search for I had no clue. Then, her eyes landed on me. A smug smile. I narrowed my eyes at her. No matter my trust in Azazel's judgement, she had a secretive look about her. She curtsies once more and says, "Hello, it is wonderful to meet you all!"

Adonis speaks first, "And you as well Lady Roseline." The rest of the court shared his sentiments until it got to me. My gaze flicked to Azazel. He raised his eyebrows in a "be nice" face. Ugh. Fine. Reluctantly, I signed the same sentiments as the rest of the court. The court then introduced themselves one by one, with me still signing to her. I didn't know if she knew sign language, but I didn't trust myself if I opened my mouth. With the formalities over with Azazel instructed Lady Isidore to take Lady Roseline to her rooms. Grabbing onto Karasi's arm as we exited, we walked arm in arm to the library.

Karasi turned to me with her eyebrows raised in anticipation and question once we had arrived, "Well?"

Well, what?

"You've been acting strangely since Lady Roseline has been chosen." She replies.

Deciding to get to the point, I sign, I don't trust her.

Karasi laughs. Laughs. At my words. "Well of course you don't like her. She is rumored to be previously involved with Azazel."

No, it's not that. I just have a bad feeling about her.

"Aerilynn, I've had nothing but good visions about her. I never have that about anybody. Trust me, this weird feeling will pass and everything will be back to normal soon enough." With that she goes to look down the looming aisles for a book. Do I trust Karasi. Yes. Do I trust Azazel's judgement. Yes. Has my gut feeling about anyone ever been wrong. Unfortunately no. I would keep an eye on Lady Roseline in the future, but I could tell nobody. Lady Roseline had done something to the court and I was going to find out what.