Chapter 78: Archery in the Dark

Thank You to @purple_pretty for your support of A Song of Silence. Your support mess as is the world to me!!! Seriously!

Azazel woke my groggy form early the next morning. I ignored him and pulled the covers back over my shoulder, but the beckoning smell of warm coffee made me rise from my bundle of blankets and snatch the mug from Azazel's hand. He only smiled and continued to pick at his food and dip from his own mug of coffee. After a few minutes, the drink had woken me up and warmed me enough to rise from the blankets on the bed and grab my things from my travel bag. Azazel only watches at I sulk to the bathroom and slam the door behind me. I am not a morning person. I never have been. It's time Azazel accepted it. Though from the amused way he watched me slam the bathroom door, I think he had long past accepted it.

I emerge from the small bathroom somewhat more presentable than before. We would be returning to the Capital city today, so I needed to look somewhat put together. Azazel says nothing as I throw his shirt at him and he catches it inches from his face. "C'mon, time to go. The sooner we leave, the sooner I can get a bath." He only downs his coffee in response and sets the mug on the nightstand. The innkeepers would clean up our mess later. We grab our horses from the nearby stable and set off on the main road with our hoods drawn. It is better to keep our identities hidden now that those in the Capital knows our faces.

We talk little during the journey back, most of the silences reserved for strangers that ride past. You never knew you could trust on the roads these days. Even as close to the palace as we were and as tight as the patrols were, people still tried to rob others close to the Capital. We didn't relax when we arrived back at the palace and stables our horses. Nor did we relax when we walked the halls of the palace cloaked and all. Only when we reached my rooms and Azazel checked to make sure it was safe did we bid our farewells for the day. Azazel shadow ported himself to his rooms while I drew myself a bath and washed away the dirt from the road. After getting out of the bath and readying myself for the day, I headed to the gardens where I knew Karasi would be.

She heard the clacking of my heels before I saw her and she barreled into me the first chance she got. "Aerilynn!!!" She squeals as she wraps her arms around me and hugs me tight. " I can't believe you're back!"

What? Did you think we were going to be gone forever? It was only a few days. You act like it's been an eternity. A few days. Crap. I've only a week to kill Azazel or break his heart and leave the palace. Shit. My ultimatum is almost enough to sour my mood after seeing Karasi after so long. Almost. I hug Karasi back until she finally lets go of me only for her to grab my hand and drag me along behind her.

"Almost. You and Azazel were gone long enough that I thought you might abandon us all." She wiggles her eyebrows in knowing of our activities during our absence. I blush fiercely and she smiles at my reaction. I trip on my dress, unused to its length after a few days of not wearing one. After finally getting my balance, I barely manage to keep up with Karasi and her excited walk. She finally slowly when we reach our destination. An archery ring. Three targets stand to the far end of the pitch, each one father back than the other. Bows and arrows made of different styles of wood are a few feet away from Karasi and I. I tear my gaze from the weapons and look back to Karasi.

You've only been using a bow and arrow for a few weeks in training. Are you sure you want to use it now in such a public setting? I sign, gesturing to the tall windows in the castle that give a perfect view of our activities.

She nods enthusiastically, "Oh, I'm sure. While you and Azazel were away, I was practicing day in and day out at archery. I improved immensely while you were gone."

Very Well. I sign walking up to the weapons and selecting a bow and throwing a quiver over my shoulder. Let's see how good you've gotten then. Karasi follows my lead as she stands next to me and knocks an arrow into her bow.

Irritating laughter that can only belong to noble ladies reaches our ears, "Oh look, the freaks are at it again." Guinevere voice echoes over the silent garden. Karasi and I exchange looks with each other as we bring the bows back to our sides and look towards the approaching noble ladies. They don't bother to hide their laughter or their mocking smiles. No doubt they expect us to throw a fit or me to throw mud at them as I had done before. Unluckily for them I didn't feel like playing their games and instead elected to ignore them. "Here, let's watch them. No doubt they will miss by wide margins. No doubt to be expected from the seer and her side bitch." I stiffen at their words and only gesture to Karasi to knock her bow. I do the same and we face the closest target.

My arrow is let fly first. The think shaft of wood flies in the air before hitting straight in the middle of the target. Silence greets me after that. Guinevere hadn't really ever seen me shoot before. No doubt she had forgotten that her new fiancé taught me most of the things I knew. Karasi let's her arrow fly next. It lands right next to mine in the middle of the target. Knocking another arrow, I sign to her, top of the target exactly. I'll take the bottom. Karasi does as I ask and hits the mark square where I had asked. Snickers can be heard from the noble ladies behind us. I hit the exact bottom of the target just as intended.

We move on to the next target. Four arrows in a diamond shape around the center. Karasi and I start to ignore the snickers and comments behind us and just enjoy the friendly competition between us. The third target is the hardest and the farthest back. An impossible pinprick in the distance. Karasi and I only give each other conspirators smiles and knock our bows. As much as I hate to admit it. Karasi and I are evenly matched. I am severely out of practice when it comes to the art of the bow and Karasi had much practice over the past few days. It would be hard to tell who would win this last target.

Karasi goes first. Her arrow flies true and hits the target in the center. An impressive shot and one I would not have been able to make when I had as little training as she does now. I knock my arrow and hit the target at the post above the target. A hard shot to be sure. Karasi only smiles and hits one of the bottom legs of the posts. I follow her and do the same to the other post. On her last shot, she lets the arrow fly and it splits her first arrow down the middle as it reaches the center of the target once more. Shit. Splitting up that arrow in the center will be near impossible now. It has the reinforcement of the two arrows prior to turn my arrow away from its intended target. Unwilling and I be stopped, though I knock my arrow and pull it as far back as I can without snapping the bow. Taking in a deep breath, I close my eyes and let the arrow fly. The resounding smile hunk and splitting of wood is all I need to open my eyes once again.

The arrow had split the arrows in the middle of the target into shards of wood. Only splinters remained below the target while my arrow was stuck straight into where I wanted it. The middle of the target. I looked over to see Karasi shaking her head in amusement at me. You're right. I sign. You have really improved in your archery. Karasi only laughs and lays her arm across my shoulder. I do the same to her as we turn around and see the gaping faces of the noble ladies behind us. We merely walk past them and go into the castle. What a fucking day.