Chapter 13: A Ball in the Dark

Lady Karasi SightSeer of the Capital Lands (pronounced Kare-uh-sai)

Lord Adonis WaterWeaver, Seneschal to the High King (pronounced Uh-done-is)

————————————————————————

The ballroom doors were opened wide for us by the butler's on either side of the doors. A wide smile pulled at my mouth as I glanced to Xyla walking next to me. We walked out onto the upper floor of the wide staircase before looking out at the crowd. Xyla and I had no titles, nor were we competing so we weren't announced.

We paused at the top of the stairs before curtsying in the High Kings direction. My eyes looked to his as I rose from my curtsy. Like molten chips of silver, his eyes scanned me from head to toe, taking in every inch. His gaze sent prickles and warm heat in places that warm heat had no right to be, not for him anyway. He lounged on his throne as his guests mingled below him. Nudging my side, Xyla and I descended down the staircase. I looked to Brynn among the crowd and i found her immediately as her eyes regarded me with a sharpness I had never seen on her face before.  Her sharp eyes assessed everything on me as we descended. Tearing my eyes away from her gaze, I finally make it to the bottom of the staircase. I would need to apologize to her later for I knew she would take the dress personally.

Xyla and I stuck together as we melded into the throngs of guests. We were given plenty of room for my dress was quite big. Xyla toured me around to meet with some other masters of their craft that she knew well. Her beau Jace, a metal smith was in attendance. As well was a close friend of hers, Lily, a famous painter. Eventually we made it over to the buffet and I reached for one of my favorite desserts. A sweet sticky lemon bun. "Don't eat it all at once, Aeri," Xyla admonishes me. I shrug my shoulders, not sorry in the slightest, the sticky bun had been worth it. Xyla puts her hand on my face and smooths out my makeup. "I've got to go meet some others, will you be fine here?" Xyla asks.

I'm not helpless, Xyla, I'll be fine.

Not at all reassured, Xyla disappears into the crowds. I grab another lemon sticky bun before moving among the crowds. I spot an unforgettable face among the crowds and rush towards her. Nobody seems to realize who she is, which surprises me, so I go over and tap on her shoulder. The other guests had given her a wide berth as if they felt her unfathomable power.  I notice her bubblegum pink hair is in an intricate bun and I notice her eyes are a shade of silver-blue when she turns to me.