Chapter 57 A Mistake Was Made.

(trigger warning: Angst duh, self harm -i'm sorry- blood)

"A-am I a h-hero.....?" His voice was shaky and weak.

Ronin looked up to him, frozen by the question.
"Of course you are kiddo" Ronin spoke as softly as he could.

"A-am I..I k-killed so many i-innocent people."

"Davis I've told you before, you are a hero and a really good one. You messed up a couple times so what"

"I've h-hurt people, a-am I exactly like him"

"..like..who" Ronin hesitated to ask afraid of who he was gonna say

"Am I just like M-manolo"

*No matter how stable you are, you always stutter his name. No matter how many times he says he's sorry you'll always be afraid of him* Ronin thought to himself before speaking gently again, "Davis, you are nothing like that.... monster...". Ronin was trying to carefully pick his words.

"Am I a m-monster"

"son you are not a monster or a freak or a villain. You're a hero, and my son. "

Davis sat there wanting to believe him as the memories flooded in. "All of the pain was my fault, I'm not a hero"

"Nothing is your fault none of the stuff you've been through is your fault"

Davis wanted to argue against it but he didn't, he put his hand on his hand and tried to regulate his breathing.

"How much did he actually hurt you Davis, how much did they actually hurt you son"

"....." Davis hesitated for a moment, "I'm just gonna go to bed"

"Sleep in and sleep well kiddo"

*Betty and Harold would've pushed more, even Sarah and Manolo back in the day would've pushed more on their question. He's different, I'm sorry but they've made me build my walls up too high*

"Night son"

"Night...." Davis hesitated for a moments before he closed the door to his room "dad.."

Ronin weakly smiled to himself and put the food in the fridge and went into his own room. Davis tiptoed as quietly as the floorboards would let him to the bathroom.

(The next bit: Read at your own risk Trigger Warning)

Davis went in and locked the door. He searched the drawers for something. He reached into the back of one, and pulled out an old broken sharpener blade
(Reason: the guilt of killing innocents is too much)

He rolled up his sleeves, unwrapped his old bandages and left them on the side of the sink and slid the blade across his arms a couple times. He stopped when he had enough to cover his arms all the way up to his elbow crease. He washed the blade and hid it back where he found it before. He unrolled his sleeves and made sure there was no evidence or any blood before he left, going back to his room.

-in his room-

Davis opened a window beside his bed and took a deep breath in, and out. He heard to knock on his door. He decided to ignore it and pretend to be asleep. He sat on the edge of his bed and had a conversation with himself. But what is actually with himself or was it with someone he wished was beside him...?

He heard the knock again, this time the person didn't wait for an answer. Of course it was Ronin, but he didn't say a word, neither of them said anything, they just stared at each other as Ronin inched closer. He had a look in his eyes. Not the usual look he has but a different warmer one. That look he only gives to a handful of people. It was sorrow, concern, genuinely the softest look a badass can give someone. It's like he knew what Davis just did. The look in his eyes was soft and filled with worry but his tone of voice was stern and serious with a bone chilling edge to it. But through all of that it was still laced with worry.

"davis...give me your arms" he spoke in almost a whisper.
Davis didn't dare utter a word, or fight against it. He just sat there still and stared at the floor.

"davis.." Ronin crouched down in front of him. And looked into his own reflection on his red visors.
"please."

Davis still didn't utter a word he just let Ronin take his arms and start to slowly and gently roll up his sleeves trying not to touch his skin.

"I'm gonna set up therapy for you. This isn't you, kiddo" his tone lost its edge and continued to be softer and more gentle.

"For now I'm gonna clean and bandage these and make sure you get to sleep okay"

Davis finally moved, and nodded slowly.
Ronin stood up and left his room, to find bandages. He came back with a fresh roll of them.
"h-how.....?" Davis muttered in a whisper.

"I have super hearing for a reason, sometimes it just activates by itself"

"i-im s-sorry" Davis muttered again.

"I know you're afraid Davis" he said before thinking to himself *you haven't been loved enough. Your entire life has been traumatic and getting abandoned, not anymore*

"You know me, I'm not like them"

A faint "I know" was heard.

"This'll hurt but it's important"

Ronin started to clean the blood with anti-biotic cream, Davis winced at the stinging.

"I'm sorry bud I know it hurts but it's important"

Ronin picked up the bandages and began to wrap the first arm. Then he cleaned the other arm and wrapped that one.

He made Davis get into bed and didn't let himself fall asleep until Davis did

He made Davis get into bed and didn't let himself fall asleep until Davis did. Soon Davis fell asleep leaning on Ronin.

"As long as I am here. No one can hurt you, I promise you that" was the last thing Ronin whispered before drifting into sleep.

-in the morning-

Ronin woke up first. It was Monday morning meaning he had work. But Davis has to stay home in case the police show up somewhere.
Davis was still fast asleep so Ronin tucked him into bed and silently tiptoed out of his room. He left a note on the table for him and took the usb and laptop with him just in case of another panic attack while he isn't home. He left for Monarch Academy trying not to make any noises.