07

truth is, becoming a pediatrician was not joshua's first dream.

his first dream was to become a singer. to be on a big stage, dance and sing. to be able to make music and make connections with the world. his family and friends always say he has an alluring angelic voice.

jeonghan knows joshua's love for music. when they were in high school, jeonghan asked joshua to join the music club with him. at first, he was shy, but jeonghan's persistency won. they both also found out that seungcheol can rap really well.

now, the three are part of the music club at pledis university.

it is one of those days where the raven-haired male has no appetite. he took a morning quiz and it had drained all of his energy. yet, he still dragged himself to the restaurant near campus to meet the boys.

the five college students settle themselves down in the booth, waiting for their food. joshua is confused to not see the other seven. he thought it was with everybody.

"where are the rest?"

"hyung, did you not read the group chat again?" jihoon rolls his eyes. the older only grins sheepishly.

every single one of them loves joshua, no doubt, but one thing about him is that he never reads his messages. seungcheol and mingyu once complained about how he might get kidnapped one day and they won't be able to find him.

"the verkwan couple left early because they said they have something important to do. wonwoo hyung still has another class. mingyu hyung has basketball practice. seungcheol hyung and jeonghan hyung texted in the chat that they went out to lunch together earlier. soonyoung—"

"yah, don't you dare mention his name in front of me!" jihoon glares at the youngest. poor chan. all he did was answer joshua's question.

"so childish, seriously." minghao shakes his head as he cleans the utensils for himself and the guys.

"babe, let me help you," junhui winks at his boyfriend. he scoots closer only to get pushed away.

"it's cramped here. don't come closer," the other chinese deadpans.

joshua's smile lingers, yet he feels sour inside. seungcheol and jeonghan ditching the rest to eat together, to go shopping, to go do whatever like a couple. it's nothing new.

joshua has a talent for hide his feelings. he can act as if they don't affect him. since he is capable to faking his happiness, why can't he get used to reality?

their late lunch is over and they are now leaving the restaurant, not forgetting to thank the workers and the owner.

"oh, joshua hyung," jihoon calls. "remember there's a meeting tomorrow at 5 sharp. we need to discuss about the audition for spring semester. it will be the last meeting until we come back from break."

"oh, okay. i'll be there, don't worry." he wraps his bomber jacket tighter around himself. it's so cold.

"i know. i'm not worried about you because you're punctual. but please, make sure to drag the other two with you at all cost." the short male is referring to the two oldest guys. "their laziness is on another level, seriously."

joshua laughs and nods. "alright, i'll leave now. it's cold. you guys get home safely, okay?"

the five of them bid goodbye before parting ways.

the moment joshua is seated inside his car, he turns on the heater. he sits there for a few minutes to warm himself up. once he feels more relaxed, he places both hands on the steering wheel ready to go.

his phone suddenly rings loudly, scaring him a little. joshua furrow his eyebrows. i'm cold and i want to go home.

he picks up his phone to see the caller. now, the wamth inside the vehicle doesn't make him feel relaxed anymore.

debating whether he should answer or not, he continues to stare at the name. in the end, he hesitantly throws his phone to the side. he drives away, not daring to look at his phone.

the caller calls again, but joshua refuses to give in. for the first time, he went against what his heart wants. just this once, just this once. i don't want to keep being a lovesick fool.

while joshua is mentally fighting himself, jeonghan is confused and worried. his best friend may be bad at replying to messages, but he always answers calls.

"jeonghan, who are you calling?" the said male looks up with worried eyes. "why? what's wrong?"

seungcheol is starting to worry as well. jeonghan was happy a few minutes ago. he just went to take a quick shower and now back to see an anxious jeonghan.

"shua is not picking up. this is my fourth try. why is he not picking up? is he okay? what if something happened to him?" seungcheol is bombed hard with questions.

"hey hey, calm down. i'm sure he's fine—"

"but he always picks up whenever i call!"

"maybe he's sleeping or—"

"cheol! i said he always picks up my call, even when he's asleep!"

"calm down, jeonghan!" seungcheol yells back. his best friend is out of control. it's not the first time he sees the younger like this, and he knows how to deal with him. "listen," he says calmly. "joshua is not a kid. he's an adult, okay? he's fine. nothing happened. he's probably busy right now, and he'll call back after seeing your missed calls later. stop treating him like a kid."

the long-haired male stares into the older's eyes for a few seconds. finally, he calms down. "you're right, cheol. you're right...i'm just overreacting. sorry."

"it's okay. it's not the first time you yell at me like a madman because you're worried over nothing when it comes to our little joshua." he tries to lighten up the mood.

jeonghan lightly chuckles, "shua will get upset if he hears you calling him that."

seungcheol shrugs, "he's not here now, is he?"

yeah, jeonghan is a little too "protective" over joshua. at least that's what he believes. jeonghan thinks it's normal because they have been together since forever and he just wants joshua to be safe. seungcheol also doesn't comment on it.

no one knows this side of yoon jeonghan
except choi seungcheol.