17

"how do you like the food here? i came here with jeonghee recently. she really liked this place."

as planned, jeonghan and joshua is having lunch together.

an hour ago, jeonghan waited for joshua in front of his class since he volunteered to drive joshua.

the restaurant, rino's waffles, is actually more suitable for brunch but who cares? who said waffles are only for breakfast or brunch? nonsense. waffles are the main and popular food, but there are other dishes too.

jeonghan ordered chicken waffles. there is even ice cream on the side. since joshua didn't know what to get, he ordered the same thing as jeonghan.

dessert and real food in one plate: perfect.

"it's really good. the combination is perfect," he gives a thumbs up, his lips pouty as he chews. jeonghan cooes silently. he's so cute, gosh. "how's jeonghee doing?"

yoon jeonghee is no other than jeonghan's little princess. she is five years younger; a high schooler. the girl is adored by all of jeonghan's friends. he himself does not count—the guy loves to spoil his sister.

"she's doing great! i heard from mom that she's really secretive these days. i swear, if she gets a boyfriend—" he hisses. "i'll break his legs."

"woah there," joshua rolls his eyes. the older is very protective. "you need to chill, okay? she's eighteen. she's an adult now."

"i don't care. she's forever my baby," jeonghan pouts. he crosses his arms, acting sulky.

yeah, says the baby himself. joshua does another eye-roll, "fine, fine. come on now. stop sulking and eat your food." of course, jeonghan obeys the younger.

they continue eating in silent for a while. jeonghan occasionally glances at joshua and joshua tries to avoid eye-contact.

the american does not want to bring up the fight. he wants to forget it, but he also knows jeonghan's personality. the guy won't stop pestering if they don't sort it out now.

let's just get it over with. joshua mentally prepares himself before looking up, only to find the other staring right back at him intensely.

please, stop giving me those eyes! it is not fair for jeonghan to burn holes in his face with that sparkling, big black orbs at screams innocent.

we all know yoon jeonghan is far from innocent.

joshua clears his throat, "so...about the other day...i'm sorry for raising my voice." jeonghan keeps quiet so the younger continues. "i-i was upset, i guess...you didn't tell me or the guys about you and cheol. i don't know—i just—" he sighs. "i know i was being dramatic. it's not like you intended to keep it a secret. you just didn't tell us right away. i overreacted, i'm sorry."

great, i didn't spill anything unnecessary. he silently cheers.

the male in front of him puts the utensils down and clasps his hands together. joshua is nervous. "you know, joshua. you are really important to me. in fact, the most important person in my life besides my family. you yourself are like my second family. i would never trade you for anything or anyone else in the world. you are my best friend who i see as a brother." ouch. after all the touching words, he just had to drop that last sentence. definitely doesn't hurt, hah. "i hope you don't think that i will be neglecting you now that i am dating seungcheol. joshua, nothing has changed. besides our label changing from platonic to romantic, trust me, nothing else has changed. cheol and i still act like we normally do. so, don't think negatively. we would never leave you out. i would never, ever, leave you."

joshua doesn't know if he should be happy or sad. jeonghan says nothing changed besides the label, but that's what hurts. even though it is just a fucking label, jeonghan belongs to seungcheol now, and seungcheol belongs to jeonghan.

then, what about joshua? joshua, who has been deeply in love with jeonghan for the last seven years. but jeonghan doesn't know.

in the end, joshua cannot blame anyone but himself. but fuck, it still hurts like a bitch.

"i understand. thank you for explaining yourself. i appreciate it," joshua plasters the usual fake smile.

it's so easy to make the pretty boy in front of him beam. jeonghan is now grinning like a child. joshua can literally see the halo above his head.

"oh yeah, when did you get so close to the new guy?" joshua tilts his head in confusion. "that guy—what's his name—ah! lee seokmin." jeonghan tries to sound as purely curious as possible. the new guy's name leaves a bitter taste in his mouth.

"oh, seokmin? we met at the supermarket. i accidentally bumped into him, then we met again at the convenience store. he works at both places. i bumped into him again at the convenience store recently, forgetting that he works there. we talked that night and became friends. he's really kind and bubbly. i think you'll like him." his explanation is short, and jeonghan is not satisfied, but he just accepts it.

huh, i don't know if i can like him whole-heartedly. jeonghan beams at the younger innocently. at least he needs to act like he wants to get along well with the new dude so joshua will be happy with him.

"aw, and you didn't tell me that you made a new friend by yourself for the first time, joshuji? i'm hurt. also, you're so comfortable with him in such a short period of time. it took a great ton of time for me to make you talk to me without avoiding me back then." there goes another episode of whiny and jealous jeonghan.

"sorry, it didn't cross my mind at all. i've been out of it lately." jeonghan gives a worried look, silently asking what's wrong. "oh. n-nothing. just...school is giving me headaches."

jeonghan doesn't try to pry. the two just continue their lunch time together. jeonghan pays the bill and they are about to leave when joshua halts from sitting up halfway.

"sorry, give me a second," joshua straightens up.

[seokmin]

seokmin:
hiiii hyung 😊
how's your day?
are you busy?

joshua:
hey seokmin 😊
today has been good. how's yours?
yes, i'm a little busy rn
what's up tho?

seokmin:
HAHA....i slept throughout my lectures
nothing much, just wanted to ask if u wanna
grab lunch together? ik it's a little late tho

joshua:
uh, i'm out for lunch with my friend rn
sorry
if u'd like, we can go out tmr?

seokmin:
sure! that sounds great!

joshua:
ok 😊😊
just call or text me tmr
i only have morning classes

seokmin:
cool! see you tmr then, hyung! 🤗

joshua:
😊👋

"what are you smiling at?"

joshua shrieks a little when he finds jeonghan so close behind him. their shoulders touching. his warm breath hitting joshua's light pink cheek as he peers over to look at the phone. gosh, he smells so nice.

joshua hides his phone away, but jeonghan already read a bit of the chat. "oh, just seokmin."

"what did you guys talk about?" why is he texting joshua?

"he wanted to grab lunch with me right now, but since i'm with you, i changed it to tomorrow."

"you rescheduled?"

"yeah..?" joshua is now giving him a raised brow. he notices that jeonghan is acting weird. why? does he think i can't make friends without him? if that's true, joshua is really offended.

"just curious," he shrugs. joshua nods unsurely.

on the way back to campus, joshua looks out the window, thinking about his unrequited love yet again. jeonghan, on the other hand, is thinking about joshua's date with the new sophomore tomorrow.

it's not a date, but jeonghan considers it as one. and that bothers him.