𝟏𝟕 | 𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

    Staring out the window of Kai's car, (Y/N) let her foot tap in an unknown beat against the floor, her mind in a whir from the information that Eun-ji had shared with her about her stepbrothers. She had already expected Ashton to be top of his class whilst also keeping his true personality hidden under a charming exterior, and she already knew about most of the others and their status within the school, but it was what she was told about Kai that really was the unexpected factor.

He was... basically a delinquent?

She peeked up at him from the corner of her eye, her gaze tracing the scar along his jaw reflected in the window.

Yet, he looked so calm.

Refined, even.

She glanced away and propped her head up.

It's hard to imagine...

Trying not to let what Eun-ji had said sway her image of who Kai was now, she shook her head and decided not to think about it anymore. If she was going to have at least one positive relationship with one of her new stepbrothers, she would have to take his past into consideration, but she also had to make sure she applied that to who he was currently. She couldn't disregard that, especially since he obviously had made an effort to clean himself up.

"Something on your mind?" Kai's low voice suddenly cut into her thoughts, startling her, and when she looked over to meet his eyes, she was even more caught off guard from how soft of an expression he wore.

"Uh... no, nothing too serious..." she mumbled, fidgeting with her hands.

Kai glanced down at the action.

"I know this isn't exactly a desired situation..." he started as he turned back toward the road, his lips curving ever so slightly downward into a small frown. "...but it is undeniable that we will soon be family. And I hope that in the future if you want... you can tell me if something is bothering you. If I can do something about it, I will, and if I can't, I will just be there for support. I... I'm not trying to push, but I would like to be on your side for this."

(Y/N) stared at him blankly, her mouth parted in a small 'o,' having not expected him to speak so much about such a topic.

Her cheeks then filled with heat.

Quickly looking away and letting out an embarrassed cough, she muttered out, "Thank you, Kai..." She hesitated, but then, with a surge of confidence continued, "And if you must know, out of all of my new stepbrothers, you are the one whom I do put most of my confidence and trust in right now. You don't need to worry about it disappearing."

Kai smiled.

He didn't know why, but hearing such words from her made him feel a sense of accomplishment.

Hm?

It looks like she's a bit flustered...

How cute.

Chuckling a bit to himself, he was then a bit disappointed that their car ride was ending when pulling up into the driveway yet knowing that because (Y/N) lived with him, he would still be able to see her some. Helping her out of the car, he then gave her a small wave before driving off to work his shift at his bar, glancing back in the rear view window every couple of seconds to get one last glimpse of the girl before turning the corner out of sight.

(Y/N) sighed.

Definitely the big brother I always wanted, but never had.

It's nice.

    Before she could even step inside, she flinched when the door swung open to reveal Haru standing there in a black tank-top that showcased his rippling muscles and loose grey sweats. The smirk that sat on his lips was a tantalizing one, his grey eyes flashing with an unknown emotion that (Y/N) wasn't sure if she wanted to figure out. Gritting her teeth from what he had done to her not even the night before, she stared at him with a raised brow, waiting for him to move.

    He didn't.

    "Well, hello there, (Y/N)~" he instead crooned as he leaned against the doorframe and slicked back his messy red hair with his hand to remove the strands from his face. "I couldn't help but notice that you were dropped off and picked up by Kai again... aren't you two getting awfully close?"

    Her eyes narrowed.

    Is he... being serious right now?

    "He's helping me stay away from a certain someone, so it's no surprise that we've gotten close," she answered coldly, watching as the mask he wore—an expression of ease—crumbled ever so slightly. "By the way, are you going to continue blocking my path, or are you going to move?"

    "My, our sweet little sister is right, Haru," a new voice exclaimed, the two looking into the house to spot Ashton approaching them all decked out in a formal suit and tie.

    (Y/N) wanted to groan from his appearance.

    "Ashton, what...?" Haru glared at his older brother, feeling his annoyance at the spiraling situation start to tick upwards.

    "You're making an injured person wait outside as if she can do so forever," Ashton tutted, harshly shoving Haru aside to make way for (Y/N), his charming business smile that he had plastered on his face making her highly uncomfortable—especially since he had never used such petty tricks with her and merely exposed his true nature. "That's quite rude, didn't you know?"

    Haru rolled his eyes, only glancing back at (Y/N) once before he disappeared upstairs. But that meant she was now alone with Ashton.

    She cursed under her breath.

    "How many times must I remind you not to use such foul words?" Ashton hummed, having heard her even though her words had been whispered. "And besides, shouldn't you be thanking me instead of cursing me? It looked like you were in a highly uncomfortable situation, and it appeared that I so graciously helped you out, no?"

    "I could've handled it," she sighed as she swept past him inside.

    He watched her go.

    How interesting...

    How interesting, indeed...

꧁꧂