𝟏𝟖 | 𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

    "How was your day, (Y/N)?" Takeshi asked kindly as he twirled strands of his pasta onto his fork, his dark eyes gazing at her expectantly as he ate. "Did you eat a large lunch? You've barely touched your food at all."

"My day was fine, and I'm just not that hungry," (Y/N) murmured softly as she moved her fork around her plate.

And I'm tired...

After the long day that she had, from dealing with Mikael and his attitude, to trying to keep up with Jay and Cassius, it was safe to say that doing so was enough to drain anyone of energy. And even now, she could feel Mikael boring holes through her from across the table, his stare not wavering even once.

And it was starting to irritate her.

But she had to keep up appearances lest Miranda start worrying.

Even if she wanted to punch someone.

"Since I'm not too hungry, may I be excused?" She asked as she sat up, her hands gripping the edge of the table in an almost desperate manner as she pleaded with her eyes towards Miranda, smiling when the woman nodded her head to let her go. "Thanks."

And with that, she left.

Trudging up the stairs and entering her room, she slowly closed her door behind her until the lock clicked. Leaning against the frame with her head tilted back so she could stare at the ceiling, she lingered there for a moment as she collected her thoughts before limping towards the bathroom with her bundle of pajamas. After stripping naked and entering the shower, she exhaled in content when the warm water eased her tense muscles.

Ah...

This is heavenly.

Soaking in the warmth as she scrubbed herself clean, she then stepped out when she was finished, steam already curling in the air and fogging up the mirror while the air held a rather moist temperature. Yet even still, she shivered from the sudden shift. After drying her hair and doing her nightly routine, she exited the bathroom. Limping over to her desk, she set her crutches down so she could take a seat, unzipping her backpack to pull out everything she needed to begin studying or to finish any homework that needed to be completed.

Unfortunately, this didn't last long.

Only about an hour or so into her study session, (Y/N) jolted when hearing a knock at the door, asking, "Yes?"

"It's me," Mikael's rough voice answered.

Her eyes narrowed.

What does he want now?

And... should I even let him in at all?

But then again, he's never come to me before, so maybe Takeshi or mom needs something?

"Come in."

The handle turned and not even a moment later, Mikael stepped past the threshold into her room, his honey gaze glancing around before they finally landed on her seated form. His usual sneer or scowl was nowhere to be seen, but then again, he didn't look exactly pleased to be there either.

"So... do you need something?" (Y/N) asked after a second of silence.

He merely continued staring.

However, from his furrowed brows and the way the corners of his lips tilted downwards ever so slightly into a frown, she could tell that he was sorting out his thoughts. She wondered what it was that he had to tell her that made him hesitate like he was, waiting patiently with her arms folded over her chest and her fingers drumming against her bicep.

Finally, he said, "What was up with you today? You seemed... weird."

She raised a brow.

Was that seriously all he wanted to ask?

"I'm fine, I already told Takeshi this," she exhaled as she turned around fo begin studying again. "If this was what you were going to ask, then you got your answer. Now, could I get back to work?"

He stayed rooted to the spot.

"Is there something else?" (Y/N) probed with a sigh as she rubbed the bridge of her nose.

"It just seems that you still haven't adjusted fully, but that's to be expected considering your rather... cold welcome from some of us," he muttered softly as he tilted his head away from her, catching her off guard since she had never thought that he would admit it. "Or rather, because of that, you've decided not to adjust at all."

She stared at him.

She couldn't believe it, but he had seen right through her, and yet, he was also one of the causes for such a fact. Looking away, a rather bitter expression soon befell her face.

    Mikael hummed.

    He knew he hit the mark.

    "Listen," he began again as he crossed his arms over his chest, his honeyed eyes narrowed, yet the hues soft and not as bladed as they once were. "I don't care for you, as I'm sure you don't care for me, something that I know is my fault. But that's only because I thought you and your mother were using my father." He held up his hand before she could protest, rubbing the back of his neck as he continued, "I know that impression was wrong, though. I lost someone important to me, as you did too, and that wound cuts deep enough that it makes us a bit irrational."

    "So, is this an... apology?" (Y/N) asked, her brows raising in question as she stared at the boy in front of her.

    He stared at her again.

    She stared back, waiting for his answer.

    "I... am... sorry..." he murmured, giving a click of his tongue before walking out as quickly as he came, leaving (Y/N) speechless since to her, Mikael had been nothing but a pain since she had arrived.

    But now, he was trying to fix that.

    Well...

    Maybe we won't always hate each other...

꧁꧂