𝟐𝟔 | 𝐁𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐀𝐆𝐄

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

    Just as Miranda and Takeshi pulled out of the driveway, Haru pulled up and in he walked with his arm slung over a girl's shoulder. Mikael saw this and instantly took that as his cue to leave, asking if (Y/N) wanted to come too but she declining due to having to complete her homework. Groaning in exasperation as her eyes trailed Haru and the girl giggling whilst ascending the staircase, she turned back to face Mikael.

He chuckled at her expression.

"Now you're the one laughing at me, huh?" She raked her hand through her (H/C) hair whilst closing her eyes. "Seems the tables have turned."

"Not at all," he gave her a brief pat on the head before waving goodbye. "Just wishing you luck."

"I need it," she muttered.

Pouring herself a glass of water and fixing herself a snack before the pizza arrived since she was still a bit hungry—she shared half of her chocolate bar with Mikael, so it didn't fill her up—she then walked up the stairs to her room. Unfortunately, just as she arrived at her door, Haru exited his room, a smirk painting his lips until he caught sight of her.

But his smile merely broadened.

She rolled her eyes.

"I'm sure I don't need to tell you not to go in my room this time, do I~?" He called to her teasingly as he headed downstairs. "Of course, if you wanted to join us, I wouldn't be opposed either~"

(Y/N) recoiled.

She honestly couldn't believe that the one in front of her and the one who looked at Mia from his locket were the same person.

She couldn't.

But they were nonetheless.

Flipping him off before slamming the door behind her, still able to hear his laughter until it soon trailed off, she popped only one earbud in so that she could listen for the pizza and started on her homework. Luckily, she finished just before the doorbell rang, her stomach rumbling by that time and gratefully accepting the pizza that was handed to her. Placing the box on the table, the smell of cheese and other ingredients wafting upwards, she eagerly grabbed a piece before sitting down.

She bit down.

Ah...

Now this is delicious.

Unfortunately, just as she was taking her second bite, the loud sound of a door slamming made her almost choke. Grabbing her water and greedily gulping down the liquid, she let out a relieved exhale before placing the glass down, her eyes widening when noticing the girl that had been with Haru earlier leaving in a hurry.

Her brows furrowed.

Huh...

She looked kind of pissed off.

(Y/N) flinched once more when something else clattered from upstairs.

She groaned.

Seriously ruining my peaceful night...

Cautiously venturing upstairs and towards Haru's room, she knocked on the door before calling out, "Hey... I heard some loud noises. Are you still alive in there?"

"I'm fine," Haru's muffled voice spoke. "Just leave me alone right now, okay?"

Really wanting to do as he said but still feeling small traces of worry on account of what she heard as something crashing, she slowly edged the door open to reveal Haru sitting on the edge of his bed alone, his room dark save for the soft glow coming from the end of his still burning cigarette. He was shirtless, as if he were about to sleep with the other girl, but the prominent red mark and bloody cut on his cheek suggested otherwise.

"Wow... you look like shit," (Y/N) pointed out as her gaze roved around the room, her eyes landing on the broken lamp which was the cause of the noise. "Are you okay?"

"Why do you care?" Haru gave a raspy chuckle as he put out his cigarette.

"I really don't."

"They why are you here?"

"I was just curious about what happened," she stated honestly as she pointed towards the door. "Your girlfriend looked pretty pissed off back there, so I was wondering what you did this time."

"Well, if you really want to know, I'll tell you," he scoffed as he scratched the side of his cheek nonchalantly. "She asked me if I loved her, and when I told her the truth that I didn't even know her name, much less love her, she slapped me. To make it worse, she had a fucking ring on." Haru's eyes then bored into hers, continuing, "And I'm sure you know why, don't you?"

She didn't say anything.

Searching his gaze for a few seconds, she then let out a heavy sigh before walking out the room, not even a moment later returning with a bottle of antibiotic and a white patch.

Crouching down in front of him, she began to disinfect the cut, something he didn't fight nor react to, instead merely staring her down with puzzlement crossing his features. It wasn't long before she was done and patching the wound, her fingers steady while her expression unchanging.

"What are you doing?" Haru then questioned of her when she was done.

"I'm just doing what anyone would've done."

"That's bullshit, and you know it."

"Why don't you just take my goddamn help instead of complaining about it," she scowled, by then crossing her arms over her chest and giving him a pointed look. "You don't always have to be an asshole all the time. Look. I get it. Everyone has different forms of grieving. And if you are, take some space and stop throwing yourself into all of this shit that gets you hurt."

"The fuck are you talking about?" His eyes narrowed in irritation.

"I think you know what."

The two stared at each other for a few tantalizing moments more before (Y/N) left and closed the door behind her, once more letting the darkness swallow him whole. He didn't do anything after that, instead staring at the floor as if it would somehow give him the answers he wanted.

He let out a breathy laugh.

"Well, (Y/N)..." Haru muttered as he lit another cigarette and took a slow drag. "If you weren't going to be my stepsister and so goddamn annoying, maybe I could've fallen for you."

He shook his head.

Because for some reason, despite being cold and alone, her warmth lingered.

꧁꧂