046. dreamwalkers

"Patience, hey. This is, uh, Dean Winchester. Listen, I know that I, uh, told you to avoid this life, but, uh... me and my family, we're-- we're looking for someone. And we put an APB out with every hunter we know, and... nothing. We really could use a psychic's help on this. Well, another one. The one we got can't do much to find him. So... if you could call me back. Thanks." He ends the message.

"Any word from Cas?" Dean asks.

"Yeah. Uh, he says he's still looking for Jack, working a lead in Tucson." Sam says. Dean's phone rings and he shows the caller ID to Sam who hums. Dean answers the phone, putting it on speaker.

"Hi, Jody." Dean greets.

"Hey, Jody." Larissa says.

"Hey, Jody. What's going on?" Sam asks.

"Hey guys, I got something for ya. Friend of mine from Bismarck PD called with a lead. He said that a local artist was found dead with his eyes burned out." Jody says.

"Sounds angel-y." Dean comments.

"Yeah, that's what I thought, except for that there was a witness -- the victim's girlfriend. She pegged someone at the scene. She gave the police a description. I think it's your boy." Jody says.

+++

They dropped Larissa and the three kids off at Jody's, Larissa not wanting to stick all three kids on her at once.

They talked to the victim's girlfriend earlier, and now Sam is looking through his dad's journal as everybody but Dean is in the Impala.

Dean gets in the car, holding out a cup of coffee to Sam.

"Hey. Thanks." Sam says.

"Yeah." Dean says, giving Jacob a cup and then grabbing his cup.

"So the lore on dreamwalking is pretty inconsistent. Uh, there are stories about it across numerous native ameri--"

"Sam, we gonna talk about it?"

"What?"

"You saw that painting."

"Yeah."

"And? Well, it looks like Jack gave up on us and he's looking for daddy."

"Alright, let's not jump to conclusions now." Natalie says.

"Dean, we don't know that." Sam says.

"Don't we? A guy is dead. Look, I hate this, too, but we're gotta be prepared." Dean says.

"To kill him." Sam says.

"Look, this isn't an "I told you," okay? I mean... I actually like the kid. I do. But we're in worst case scenario land here." Dean says.

"Yeah, but, Dean, we need more information. I mean we gotta figure out what Jack wanted, how-how dreamwalking even works." Sam says.

"Okay, well, then let's go to a reservation. Let's talk to a-a chief or a tribal leader." Dean says.

"Or... we talk to a dreamwalker. I hacked into Derek's email. He's been corresponding with another dreamwalker for months, a girl named Kaia Nieves. He had been trying to coach her, to teach her to control her power."

"Alright. Where is she?" Dean asks.

+++

They pull up to the center where Kaia is.

"Okay, you guys stay here." Dean tells the teenagers.

"Why?" Daphne asks.

"Because I said so." Dean states.