099. death

"Just, uh... here. I got it, buddy." Sam cuts Liam's pizza into pieces so the toddler can eat it. "Remember to chew, all right?" Liam nods, putting a piece of food into his mouth.

"I don't wanna eat the broccoli." Athena whines.

"Honey, we both know that broccoli isn't one of the foods that trigger your texture hatred. I know you eat broccoli. There's the honey mustard, douse it."

Athena huffs, but pours the honey mustard over the broccoli until you can barely even see the vegetable.

"They're still yucky." Athena grumbles.

"I know, sweetheart." Larissa pats her on the head.

Sam's phone rings and he answers it.

"Hey, Jody. What's going on?" Sam asks, a small smile on his face. Larissa watches as his smile fades a bit.

"Sammy?" She gently asks.

Sam only pushes his phone into her hand and then goes upstairs, taking the steps a few at a time.

"Jody?" Larissa asks.

"Rissa? Hey." Jody sniffles.

"What's going on?" Larissa asks.

"Uh... well, um... it-- it seems like Dean was on a hunt. Got a couple dead vamps in the barn." Jody quietly says. "But, uh... Dean was also... gone. He-- Dean's gone."

"Like-- like dead gone?" Larissa quietly asks, glancing back at the kids to make sure they're not listening.

"Yeah." Jody says, taking a deep breath. "He was impaled in the back by a rebar."

"Oh, God." Larissa whispers, glancing upstairs. "I, uh, I gotta go."

"Yeah. Of course." Jody says, the two hanging up.

"You two stay down here." Larissa tells her kids before rushing upstairs. She goes to her and Sam's room, finding the man sitting on the end of the bed and crying.

"Sammy?" She gently calls, Sam looking up at her.

"I-- I know that-- that he wasn't your favorite--"

"Hey, hey, hey, who cares what I feel. You feel your own emotions, baby." Larissa soothes, pulling him into a tight hug. "I know you still loved him in some way. It's okay to grieve."

+++

The twins get home with Ethan and Delaney, all laughing about something.

"Hey." They turn to Sam. Ethan immediately takes his hand off of Libby's waist, holding them up in the air. "You're fine, Ethan."

Ethan lowers his hands, but still keeps them to himself just in case.

"Look, uh, babies, we--" Sam sighs.

"What? What's wrong?" Libby asks.

"Dean." Sam says. "He, uh... he's dead."

"What?" Libby asks.

"He-- he was hunting some vamps and, uh... one pushed him into a post that-- that had a rebar in it and-- and it stabbed Dean in the back. He... he's gone." Sam informs.

"Oh." Libby mumbles, not sure how to feel.

"Honey, it-- you feel however you want. Grieve if you need to, don't grieve, nobody will judge you. We all know Dean wasn't a very good person in a lot of way, so... whatever you do or don't need to do." Sam tells them. He kisses them on on their foreheads before going to check on Liam.

"Lizzy?" Ethan asks, putting a hand on her back. "You okay?"

"Uh... I-I think so. I don't... I'm not sure." Libby says, scratching her head. "It's... it's confusing."