You can light up the dark

We're nearing the end O.O

Chapter 59

It's amazing how you

Can speak right to my heart

Without saying a word

You can light up the dark.

~When You Say Nothing At All - Ronan Keating

We were sitting by the lake. It was late June and we had just finished the last of our N.E.W.T.S. Sirius and I had talked about the Snape Incident, as I had dubbed it in my head, and although I didn't understand him completely, I did understand him. It might not make much sense, but neither did Sirius. When Sirius got emotional, his mind scattered and all logic left him almost immediately afterwards. I am not going to pretend that I didn't wish he used his head a little bit better, because I did, but I am not going to hold a grudge against him over it as he first feared.

I smiled faintly as I stared at the roof of leaves above us. Sirius was gently caressing my hair as I lay in his lap. I had gotten horrible news earlier that morning, and Sirius had insisted that we went out by ourselves so I could process it all in peace.

"I wish I could have met him," Sirius said as his fingers lingered on my lips.

I sighed. "He wanted to meet you, too, you know. In fact, he asked me several times." I thought back to the news article that bore the bad news. Dr. Greene and Katya, his old crush, had been found dead in her house yesterday. Even her child, a newborn girl called Elena, had been killed in her crib. Death Eaters disgusted me to the core of my being.

"Why didn't we then?"

I shook my head and closed my eyes. "I kind of forbade him to. If you remember, we were going through quite a rough patch back then, and he wasn't really fond of the idea of you and me spending too much time together.

Sirius frowned playfully at that. "Why? Was he afraid you might corrupt me or something?"

I shook my head with a faint laugh. "Yes, that must have been it."

He kissed my forehead and when I opened my eyes again, I saw him gazing at me thoughtfully. "I'm glad he helped you through everything over the years. He sounds like he was a good man."

"He was," I whispered faintly and sat up again. "He was just at the wrong place at the wrong time." Katya was Muggleborn and although her husband hadn't been home yesterday, they must have mistaken Gideon for him. Or maybe he had finally captured Katya's heart. I kind of liked that idea better. That they hadn't been sneaking off behind her husband's back, but that they'd found their way to each other at last. Who knows, maybe they'd tried to make it work between them. Why hadn't I asked about her more often? Why hadn't I written him more?

The back of Sirius' hand gently caressed my cheek. "Stop beating yourself up over this, dove. You couldn't have stopped this from happening."

"We should be able to do something, shouldn't we?" I asked him desperately. Surely, we wouldn't keep on losing our loved ones?

Sirius gave me a sad look that told me he didn't really know a solution either. "I don't know."

We hugged and remained like that for what felt like an eternity as other students happily milled around us and celebrated the end of the year.