Chapter 2: Ice Skating

• Dedicated to My Amazing Father

Edited.

Ice Skating is one of the many things that I'm just not very great at. I mean it involves balance—which I don't have very much of—and gliding gracefully and to be honest I'm not very graceful. Honestly I don't know anyone who is, but then again I don't know anyone who ice skates—besides Ryan, but just for fun though.

I turned my head, looking at my brother who was slouching in his seat next to me, smiling at his cell phone. My only guess was that he was texting his girlfriend, Sidney.

Sidney was... well she was ok, I guess. She doesn't talk to me much, just to say hi and things like that, but she seems like a nice person, just not very sociable.

We were currently on the subway, since Ryan's car was in the shop due to the fact that he doesn't know how to change his car's oil, so, uh, yeah I think you can guess what happened. I mean I don't mind riding the subway anyway I actually kind of love it. It's just so peaceful and it beats New York City traffic.

Ryan stood up, as I furrowed my eyebrows at him. "Are you coming?" he pointed towards the doors sliding open.

Oh right.

I stood up and followed him off the train, out towards the stairs that led to level ground, where the Ice Skating rink was on the right. Ryan was carrying both of our ice skates in his backpack which he had slung over one of his shoulders, leading me inside the building.

When we got inside we sat down in the seats behind the rink, as I scanned the crowd of people to see if there was anyone I knew, while fumbling with the shoe laces of my skates.

And that was when I saw him and my skates slipped out of my hands. The mere feeling of him being here made my stomach do tiny flips. I could see his golden brown hair glinting in the light as he smiled down at a little girl. Judging by the way he was looking at her and the way he was helping her I would have to guess this was his sister, along with another girl who was helping her as well.

"Mallie?" my head snapped up to meet Ryan's gaze.

"Yeah?" I asked breathlessly.

"What are you looking at?" he asked, raising his eyebrows at me.

I gulped. "N-N-Nothing,"

He narrowed his eyes at me, before going off and skating on his own, leaving me to continue putting on my skates. I tried to not think about him too much because he's my brother's best friend and it's just not right. Plus I do have a boyfriend—even though he doesn't hang out with me much.

"Hey," I heard his familiar heart melting voice say.

I froze before slowly looking up at him. "Hi," I said nervously, "what are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing," he grinned as my eyes looked up at him.

Lord, why does he have to be so gorgeous?

"Um, I'm here with Ryan," I said.

He pressed his lips together. "Oh,"

I stood up and began to try and go out onto the rink, but like always I just had to embarrass myself in front of one of the hottest guys ever. The front part of the blade of my skate got caught on the break from the floor and the ice and I almost fell to my death.

Hint I said almost, because before I knew it his hand was around my waist, keeping me from falling to my death and I swear I almost choked from the tingles that were shooting through my body.

I looked up at him, breathing deeply as he pushed a piece of loose hair behind my ear and I started to blush horribly.

I suddenly realized that I had a boyfriend and at the moment I'm sure my face could be read as totally crushing on the guy that was standing in front of me, so I sort of politely backed up a little, mumbling an incoherent thank you and pressing my lips together tightly.