Chapter 34: Don't Let Him Go

-Mallie's POV-

I walked into third period, the period before lunch and set my bag down beside my desk. The other night I'd realized the meaning of the words that I'd been so desperately trying to find out the meaning of every minute since my coma.

"Don't let him go,"

I repeated the words again, knowing the full gravity of the choice I'd made, but it was a risk I was willing to take because Cole was right. I can't keep letting Nathan control my life because I can't keep living like this. Jared doesn't deserve to be put through the pain I've caused him and I need to tell him that. Honestly, if what he told me that day in the gym was true, then I know I'm making the right choice here.
Jared walked in and I avoided his gaze for the time being until I decided the time was right. This was the only class that I had with Jared that I didn't have with Nathan because it was an AP class. Nathan's never really cared about school, but that doesn't bother me one bit. It's his life, why should I care about the guy that's making me miserable? I know that sounds harsh, but you've got to look at it from my stand point.

Jared took his assigned seat behind me, so while the teacher went out to make copies of the packet we'd be doing today I tore a tiny piece of paper out of my notebook and scribbled down these words.

We need to talk.

While no one was looking, without turning around, I tapped his desk lightly and held the note out with my right hand. For a moment I thought he hadn't noticed and knowing how much I would expose myself to the others I was debating whether or not to turn around and face him fully. Just as I was about to he slipped the note out of my hand, making a point to graze his hand over mine. I pulled my hand back and placed it in front of me on my desk, just as the AP teacher came back in.

She began ranting on about the play Romeo and Juliet, that we were currently studying at the moment. Yeah, I know, what a coincidence, considering the things that have been happening lately in my life. Since we were starting to read the play today and I had already read half way through it -out of pure enjoyment- I decided to just tune her out for most of the period.

The period zipped by considering all I did was read past what I was suppose to read after answering the assigned homework questions. Of course, I knew I'd have to finish the whole packet by some point, so I answered the questions as I read, knowing that would probably help lighten the homework load.

When class was finally over I made my way to my locker which was in the complete opposite direction of the lunchroom and since no one bothered to come to their locker's before lunch I was completely alone. I opened my locker and began to put the text books that I was going to need for homework in my backpack. Just as I was shutting my locker a hand came over my mouth and I panicked. No, please, no.
I was in such a panic that I didn't notice the tingle running up my arm and just assumed it was from the fear that was scattering through my body. The person dragged me backwards into the supply closet and just as I began to try and scream into his hand he spoke.

"Relax. Relax! It's me!" Jared said, shutting the door and releasing me.

My chest heaved up and down rapidly as I turned to look at him. "You scared me half to death!" I cried throwing my arms around his neck and pulling him to me. He didn't even hesitate to wrap his arms around me jus as tightly.

"Sorry," he whispered, burying his face in the crook of my neck, "I didn't know how else to get you alone." I pulled away from him and he looked down at me. "What'd you want to talk about?" he asked.

I sighed not being able to bring my eyes to his. "I just... I wanted to tell you I was sorry. I know how much pain I've caused you over the past month and I just couldn't help but think that this is all my fa--!"