Chapter 42: The Truth

I stared into Nathan's eyes as Jared looked at the wall, shoving his hands in his hair and tugging immensely hard at the roots as Nathan looked back at me. For a moment, as I looked back at Jared I could've sworn he looked like he had tears in his eyes, but when I blinked they were gone. Was the truth really that bad?

"Alright Mallie," Nathan said, "look I know you're probably going to hate me, but you need to know the truth."

He paused as I stared at him, before continuing.

"One night I'd gone to this party all the way across town. I felt horrible so I went and got myself completely drunk. My friends had already left without me, so I had no choice, but to get behind the wheel and try to drive myself home."
I looked at him strangely. "What does this even have to do with anything Nathan?"
"Just," he closed his eyes and opened them again, "wait. Just listen. I was driving alright. I had no idea what was happening until I collided with a car. There were four people in the car."

I furrowed my eyebrows still not understanding what he was trying to say, but listening anyway.

He sighed, trying to look anywhere but me. "There was an Aunt, an Uncle, a niece, and a nephew in the car." he continued as the realization sank in. "The girl was sixteen and the guy was seventeen. When they took the girl to the hospital she fell into a..." he looked like he was struggling for words, "a coma."

As I stood there staring at him with my mouth agape, letting the information sink in my whole body was trembling.

"Are you saying--?" I whispered.
Nathan looked at Jared. "The night of your accident they told you that a drunken fifty year old man had died in that car, but you guys never saw the body." he put his thumb and forefinger to his eyelids before looking back at me. "That was a lie. I was driving that night. I was in the car when I collided with yours and when I realized you were in the car I panicked and ran to my dad for help. He helped me cover the whole thing up so I wouldn't go to jail."
My eyes welled up with tears as I bit my lip trying to stop it from wobbling. "What?" I whispered.
"It's my fault." he said. "Its my fault you lost your memories. My fault that your whole family almost died."

I felt a single tear fall down my face as I stared at him trying to stop myself from exploding. The anger I'd felt earlier was raging inside me I could feel it scraping its way up the wall I built. I let another tear fall and before I could stop myself it clawed its way to the top of the wall and raged over top of it.

"YOU MONSTER!" I screamed, lunging forward at him.

Jared's arm wrapped around my waist and held me back away from him as the tears streamed down my face.

"Mallie, please," Jared whispered.
"How could you?!" I screamed again as I got loose of Jared's hold and ran out of the hospital room where he was now in the hallway.

I got just close enough for me to be able to slap him once before Jared got a hold of me and pulled me back into his chest.

"What's going on?!" Aunt-Hailey's voice came from down the hallway along with other stares from the doctors.
I was breathing hard now. "Don't ever touch me again!" I cried. "Just go away! And stay away!"

Nathan looked hurt as he stood there staring at the floor, but I didn't care. He deserved it. If he hadn't gotten drunk that night I would've never had to go through the mess that I did just to get back with Jared. I would've never lost all memories of him! He ruined my life!
I turned around, wrapping my arm around Jared and burying my face in his neck, before crying as hard as had when I found out there was no chance my Uncle would make it.

"You know what I don't get?" Ryan said and I knew he was looking at Nathan. "When Jared, Anna, and I found out what you'd done you begged us not to tell Mallie because you knew she'd hate you forever. We agreed that we wouldn't tell her for her own good, but now you want to tell her. Why now? Why the h*** did you all of a sudden want her to know? And don't give me that crap that she needs to know the truth, you and I both know there's more to this than that."
I heard Nathan sigh. "I thought I might still have a chance with her, but when I saw how happy she was with Jared I knew it was over. No matter how much I wanted her I couldn't have her, so I figured there's no reason why she shouldn't know the truth now."
"You need to leave." Jared said angrily. "Now, before you put her though h*** again."
"Wait," Nathan whispered, "I know you don't ever want to talk to me again..."

I knew he was speaking to me, but I made no attempt to try and look at him. I couldn't look at him, not after everything he'd ever done to me and my family.

"... but for what it's worth, I'm sorry. And I know that you'll probably never be able to forgive me, but just know that I never meant to hurt you. I just--," his voice lowered, "I just wanted you to be with me."

Never.

* * *

I'd fallen asleep on the couch with Jared holding me tight against him. It was the first time I'd been able to sleep since I got here and I was just grateful that Jared had been able to stay with me. He was the only reason I'd even been able to. After what Nathan had told me I really was broken. Knowing that I thought I might've been able to forgive Nathan for what he'd done to me just makes me feel even worse. He was the whole reason why my life was like this. If he hadn't gotten drunk that night then none of this would've happened. Jared and I would've never been torn apart. I would've never lost my memories. Nathan would've never--.
Well, maybe he still would have done what he did. It just would've happened a different way. I guess we'll never know, because what's done is done. He can't take it back as much as I wish none of it would've ever happened.
I heard the door clicking open so I stayed still--with my eyes closed--and continued to pretend I was asleep in Jared's arms. There were the sound of chairs being pulled out, before the voices of my Aunt and Jared's mother came to life.

"Those two," Aunt-Hailey whispered, "I don't think she'd be able to get through this without him."
I heard Mrs Reynolds softly laugh. "When he called and told us what was happening he said, 'Mom I can't leave her alone I can't do that to her. I don't know what'll happen if she goes through something like this alone again.' and I told him that he could stay as long as he needed."
The way Aunt-Hailey spoke I could tell she was on the verge of tears. "I can't believe this is happening to her. That poor girl she's been through enough with that boy Nathan. For her to just be happy again with Jared and this happen to her. It's not right!" Aunt-Hailey cried.
Mrs. Reynolds sighed. "Oh Hailey I know it's hard to watch her like this. It's hard for Jared too, but you spend so much time watching out for her don't you deserve a few moments to grieve too?"
"Oh Julianne," Aunt-Hailey sobbed, "I love him so much and I know what the right thing to do is, but I don't know if Mallie and Ryan will be able to bear it!" she sniffled. "They've already lost their parents that can't lose him too."

I know what the right thing to do is.

The words kept echoing in my ear. I know what the right thing to do is. What did that mean though? What was the right thing to do. Surely she wasn't thinking--

No.

She's going to pull the plug on him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Omg I really do feel like crying whenever I go back and read this. It literally took me like an hour to get Aunt-Hailey's break down right. I kept rewriting it, but I just didn't like it so FINALLY I got it to where I thought it was pretty decent. Sorry for the wait, but don't forget to vote and comment.
And also I'd just like you all to know how much I absolutely love reading your comments. They make me literally smile and laugh so hard. I love you guys so much. And thank you so much for getting me from 9K to 10K in like three days that just really made me happy! I can't express how thankful I am.

~Katy