Chapter 5: A Strange Talk

• Dedicated to My Wonderful Grandmother

Edited

Jared was standing there in all his glory. I tried to ignore the fact that he looked extremely attractive, standing there looking at me with what seemed to be a half smile, half smirk.

Stop it, Mallie. Just stop it.

Anna answered him before I could. "Well, hey Jared!" she smiled at him as if this wasn't the first time they'd ever spoken.

He laughed a little. "Hey Anna," he pointed towards the seat, "you mind if I—?"

She smiled. "Go ahead,"

I am so confused right now.

How does she know him again?

My thoughts were swirling around like crazy in my head. What was he doing? Why was here? How did they know each other? Why do I keep running into him?

Why is he so hot?

Huh?

"Mallie?" he asked as I came out of my trance and looked at him.

"What?" I blurted.

He laughed. "I asked how you and Nathan were doing."

I looked at Anna and she sort of just stared at me like she was silently telling me not to tell him that I was thinking about breaking up with him. So, I didn't.

"Fine," I said.

I looked into his mesmerizing crystal blue eyes and I just couldn't seem to bring my eyes away from them. They were so... interesting. I could tell there was something hidden deep far beneath the crystalline blue color, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Anna's phone started ringing, so she excused herself, getting up as I pressed my lips together tightly, awkwardly sitting there with Jared.

"You're not fine," Jared said.

I looked at him. "What?"

He sat up from his slouching posture, putting his hands on the table. "You and Nathan. You guys aren't fine, I know."

"You don't even know me," I whispered.

He chuckled. "That can change... if you want it to."

Yes, I want it to.

My heart was betraying my brain. It kept saying yes, yes, yes, but my brain knew it was wrong. It knew that I shouldn't do anything with him because I had a boyfriend.

A boyfriend who doesn't care about you.

I pressed my lips together tightly as I looked at him, staring at him, trying to get myself to stop analyzing every single little feature he had.

"I-I-I can't," I whispered.

He inched a bit closer and I could feel my breath starting to shake. "Mallie, you deserve to be happy,"

Why does he all of the sudden care for me? Why does he all of the sudden think that he knows everything there is to know about me? How does he know all this? Why is he doing this?

I stared into his eyes again. "What makes you think I'm not happy?"

"Ryan," he said, looking at the table.

Ryan? Oh no, what did Ryan tell him?

"What?"

He averted his eyes from me. "Never mind," he said, immediately standing up, "I gotta go."

No, not those words again.

I abruptly stood up just as he began walking off, quickly jogging towards him.

"No, Jared wait!" I called putting my hand on his chest to stop him.

Only when I did that I could feel the muscles under his shirt start to tighten. My thoughts were going into flutter mode again as my breath caught in my throat at what he did to me. The tingles running up my arm were indescribable. It was nothing like I'd ever felt with Nathan. Actually, I'd never felt anything like this with Nathan.

My cheeks were turning red and that was when I noticed that my hand was still on his chest, so I quickly took it away; the tingles immediately ceasing to exist.

My heart longed for the contact. Those wonderful tingles that I'd never felt anything like. I wanted that again.

I inhaled looking at him. "What do you mean Ryan?"

"I mean Ryan told me," he said.

I was beginning to grow nervous. "Told you what?" I whispered.

"The amount of time that Nathan spends with you... it's next to nothing." he whispered back as I turned my head away from him. He put his hand under my chin and gently pulled my head back towards him. "I know how you feel. Like he doesn't care about you. Like he's just with you to be with you."

I pressed my lips together tightly as he looked into my eyes, searching for something, and it was when his eyes stopped abruptly searching mine that I knew he'd found it. He'd found the truth.

"No girl deserves that." he said.

I looked away. "You're right,"

"Then why are you still with him?"

"Why did you date Cassidy?"

He wouldn't look at me.

"If you want me to tell you everything then you better be ready to do the same." I whispered.

And with that I walked away without another word. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey,

Thanks for reading, I really appreciate it. Don't forget to vote and comment!

~Katy