Chapter 27: A Devastating Turn of Events

-Jared's POV-

"Son, you gonna drive?" my dad asked as I pealed my eyes away from Mallie.

When I saw her walk through that door I was surprised my jaw didn't pop right off. There was no lying, she looked absolutely beautiful even though she would never admit it to herself. She looked amazing; I never thought I would meet such a beautiful and amazing person, but I did... and I'm really happy.

I turned back to my dad. "Yeah," I replied as he threw me the keys and got in the passenger seat.

I caught them with ease, then made my way to the drivers side of the car, getting in. Just as I'd expected Maria immediately started yelling.

"Mallie and Jared were kissing! Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww!" she yelled as I started the car.
"Oh, shut up Maria," I said backing out of the parking space.
"Hey!" she pouted. "You're mean."

I shook my head, keeping my eyes on the road. You know sometimes having a little sister is really annoying.

"I'm sure you've already noticed that Jared really likes Mallie, Maria." my mom said and I shot her a glance through the rear view mirror. "What?!" she was getting all hyped up now. "I've seen the way look at her, Jared. We all know you really like each other just by the way you look at each other. Especially tonight when she walked through those doors you acted like you didn't even know how to talk!" my mother laughed.
"Mom, that's not true." I said looking back at her then back at the road.

I glanced at her through the rear view mirror and she had a smirk plastered on her face. "Oh, come on you stuttered! When have I ever seen my son stutter in front of a girl?! Let me think... never!"
I gave her a 'yeah right' look, then said. "I didn't stutter... I just didn't know what to say."

My dad started laughing as I came up to the stop light and stopped. "Come on son, don't be afraid to admit that she left you in amazement. You know what that means? It means she's a special one, and the special ones are hard to come by."

I smiled at that. She was special, my dad was right about that. The light turned green and I waited for the cars in front of me to go, so they went but suddenly the car in front of me slammed on his breaks and I quickly did the same to avoid hitting it.

"What the h***?" I muttered, but then quickly saw a car had collided with another car in the middle of the intersection.

One of the cars looked exactly like Mallie's car. Oh God please don't let it be.

"Ohmy god is that Mallie's car?!" My mother exclaimed in fear.

Then my worst fears were confirmed as Ryan stumbled out of the car, falling to the ground.

"Mom, Dad call an ambulance!" I yelled quickly unfastening my seatbelt and opening the car door.
"Where are you-!" Mom started, but before she could say anything else I'd already gotten out of the car and started running toward the cars.

As I was running towards the cars my dad was behind me. Steven opened the car door and fell to the ground, groaning in agony. I ran towards Ryan.

"Hey, hey, Ryan man, listen to me you're going to be ok!" I yelled at him over the loud noise in the background. "Where's Mallie?!"
"She's, she's," he spluttered, "still in the, the car!"

I looked over towards the car and saw Mallie in there, her head was against the window and she didn't seem to be conscious. Hailey was still in the passenger seat too.

"Dad!" I yelled. "Help me get them out of there!"

I yanked open the door and caught Mallie before she could fall to the ground. I picked her up into my arms and when I saw her face, fear was written all over mine. She had blood trickling down the side of her face and arm. Gently, I set her down on the road, hoping she'd wake, but she didn't. Her eyes stayed closed and still.