Chapter 29: Remembering

-Mallie's POV-

I walked into school and everyone had their eyes on me. It was like I was the center of attention and I really didn't like that. As I walked to my locker I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, so I pulled it out and when I turned it on, my lock screen was a picture if Jared and I. I guess everyone wasn't lying when they said he was my boyfriend.

Aunt-Hailey: Do you have your keys
Me: yes
Aunt-Hailey: I'm not going to be home till late just wanted to let u know
Me: ok

I opened my locker, sticking my bag in there and grabbing the rest of my stuff. My eyes wondered across the halls to all the guys staring at me. I recognized Nathan, he was the one staring at me. Then he finally got the guts to come over there and talk to me.

"Hey, Mallie I just wanted to see if you were doing ok?" he asked.
"I'm fine." I replied paying no attention to him.
"Um, do you even remember who I am?" he wondered.
I turned to face him. "Yes," I said crossing my arms over my chest, "you're Nathan."
He looked down at the ground and grinned, then looked back at me, "Ok, that's good."
I pressed my lips together. "Listen-," I started, but before I could say anything else he pressed his lips against mine.

This felt weird. His lips were rough and hard and I didn't really enjoy it at all, so I pushed on his chest. He wouldn't budge so I gave him a small shove and broke the kiss. We both looked at each other, but I was the first to turn around and start walking away. Something doesn't feel right about him. I felt a hand softly grab my arm and spin me around. Our faces were so close that if either one of us had leaned forward our lips would be touching.

"Jared," I gasped feeling the heat radiating off his body.

God, he's so hot.

He looked into my eyes. "Mallie, stay away from him, he's just going to play with your feelings like he did the last time." Jared said.
I raised my eyebrow at him. "What do you mean?" I wondered.
"The last time when you went out with him, you told me all he wanted was to control you, yet he never even spent one minute with you. You'd call him and ask him if he wanted to do something, but he'd always tell you he was busy." Jared explained. "Look, Mallie, I don't want you to get hurt."
My gut was telling me to believe him, but there was this nagging feeling in my brain telling me that something was fishy. "Why should I believe you?" I asked.
He chuckled. "Have you seen the background on your phone?"

I pulled my phone out and pressed the wake screen button. It was still the same as earlier, a picture of him and I.

I looked up at him with a smile. "When did we take this?" I asked.
He grinned. "Three weeks ago. It was four days before your accident. We were at my championship football game and after we had won, your friend Anna made us take a picture together. In fact, we have the same background." he said pulling out his phone and showing me. It was the exact same background as mine.

I looked down at the ground feeling kind of guilty that I didn't remember anything about him. Then suddenly I felt his fingers underneath my chin pushing my head up so I was forced to look into his eyes. As soon as his fingers had touched my chin my heart skipped a beat and a bomb exploded in my stomach.

Woah.

He leaned down just a little and it wasn't long before my breath hitched in my throat.

He smiled and stroked my cheek with his thumb. "I won't force you to do anything you don't want to," he whispered, "but just remember... I'll always be waiting."

I put my hand on top of his and tingles ran all the way up my arm. His skin burnt like a fire on my hand, but it was also soft and it felt right. For some odd reason I didn't want to let go of his hand, but I did.