Chapter 33: Down Goes The Roller Coaster

-Mallie's POV-

When I woke the dread set in. Jared was gone. I don't even know why I got my hopes up that he would stay. From what I remember he stayed and I had fallen asleep in his arms, but who am I kidding. Why would he want to stay with a girl who's caused him so much pain anyway? How could I be so stupid to think that he'd just run back to me?!

I wish it was that easy. I pressed my palms to my eyes and let out a choked sob. Why did life have to be so cruel?
Deciding it was best to forget about the events of last night, I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to wash my face, but before I could go there was a knock on the door. Sighing, I made my way downstairs slowly and opened the door. Surprisingly, it was Nathan.

"What are you doing here?" I asked shaking my head at his black eye.
He eyed me like I'd done something completely unheard of. "I saw Jared on my way here," he said.
I gave him a dead look. "And?"

Just act like last night never happened. He can not know that Jared was here or he'll make sure I never see him again.

"And," he began raising his eyebrows at me, "he seemed kind of happy. The only time I even remember him being happy was when he was with you."
I stared at him blankly. "What are you implying?" I asked angrily.

I feel like blowing up right here. Please don't say it. Please don't say it. Please don't say it.
Act like you have no idea what he's talking about. On the outside I looked like I usually did, completely cut off from the world and depressed, but in the inside my heart was beating rapidly, desperately hoping that he wouldn't notice anything.

"Why are you still wearing the same clothes as yesterday?" he asked.
I sighed. "Does it matter?" I wondered.
He glared at me. "Ok, if it doesn't matter then why won't you just tell me?"
"You wanna know what I've always wondered?" I asked. "Why is it soooooo important that I'm with you? It's not like you love me." I said. "Or is it that you hate the idea of me and Jared being together that you'd cause us this much pain?"

He sighed, looking up as if to say why-does-she-ask-so-many-questions. For a second I thought he was truly going to answer, but he completely ignored the question and that was when I knew... that Jared was right. All he cared about was his reputation and that's why he couldn't bear to see Jared and I together.

"Are you going to let me come in?" he asked.
I came out of the apartment and closed the door, leaning against it for support. "No, you can tell me whatever you want to tell me right here." I said.
He gritted his teeth. "Ok, where'd you go after you left? You seemed in a hurry."
I crossed my arms over my chest. "Why do you care?"
"Look," he started, "just because I'm forcing you to be with me doesn't mean I don't care about you."
I gave him a pointed look. "I find that hard to believe given all the things you've made me do in front of the guy that I actually care about. Look," I began, "I'm doing everything that you ask, ok? But don't expect me to act like I'm in love with you when no one else is around because I'm most definitely not going to do that."
Nathan closed his eyes and opened them again after a minute. "You know I can just as easily call the police station again and tell them that Jared robbed that café."
My breath hitched in my throat. "I hate you." I whispered. "I hope you know that."
He shook his head. "Go get dressed, so we're not late," he replied, completely ignoring what I'd just told him.

I opened the door to the apartment and didn't bother closing the door, knowing that even if I had Nathan would have come inside anyway. Ryan had already left, so it was just me, if you didn't count Aunt-Hailey and Uncle-Steven asleep in their room right now. Today I didn't really want to make a big deal out of looking pretty since I was going to spend this day like any other. Completely miserable, but acting like I was completely in love with the boy that was ruining my life right now.
Shaking the thought from my mind I threw on a pair of jeans and a cute sweater, along with my uggs. Yeah, my simple was simple, but still cute. I grabbed my backpack and over the shoulder bag, throwing both on and coming down the stairs