Chapter 39: No

Banner by @Scarlett-Elixer ^^^

We were sitting on the hood of his car, me in his lap, just watching the stars streak across the sky and talking to each other.

"What's your middle name?" I asked, turning my head slightly to look at him.
He chuckled. "You already know,"
"But I don't remember you ever telling me," I said turning to look at him.

My legs were now across his lap and his hand rested on the small of my back as I looked at him.

He looked up at the sky, then back down at me. "It was here," he whispered, "we were here, we'd come here after one of your volleyball games and I told you. Do you remember Mallie? It was this exact spot."

I kept looking at him, furrowing my eyebrows and trying to remember... but I just couldn't.

I pressed my lips together. "I can't," I said shaking my head.
"Yes you can," he put both his hands on either side of my face, "its in there, it's deep down in there, but it's there."

I couldn't remember, no matter how hard I tried. He was right, it was there, but I couldn't remember. So, I did the only thing I could think of that usually worked every time. I pressed my lips against his, wondering... hoping that something would happen.

And it did.

We were on his car, looking up at the sky and watching the shooting stars. He was playing with my hair while I traced the lines on his hands with my finger.

He laughed. "You know you've never told me what your middle name is."
I smiled at him. "You haven't told me yours either,"
"I asked you first," he whispered.
I shook my head smiling at him. "Lauren. Mallie Lauren Webb."
He looked up at the sky, sighing, "Jared Caine."
"Jared Caine Reynolds." I whispered, looking at him strangely.

I pulled away from him, breathing hard as he looked at me, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Caine," I whispered breathlessly as his face lit up.
"You remember?" he asked as I smiled, nodding my head at him. He leaned his head against mine. "You have no idea how happy I am right now."
I looked at the ground. "For remembering your middle name? Jared, it's only one thing. What happens if I don't get all the rest of my memories back?"
He closed his eyes. "You're still the same girl, Mallie. You don't have to remember everything about me. I don't care whether you do or not because I know you're still the same girl."
"No, I'm not," I whispered.
He shook his head. "Yes you are. I've seen it. You still love all the same things. You're still the same Mallie from a few months ago. You're still the girl that helps people all the time. The girl that cares more about others than herself. The same girl I fell in love with."
I looked up at him. "I just want to remember so bad," I hugged him.
"I know," he whispered, "but maybe this was meant to happen, maybe you were meant to not remember anything. Maybe God wanted this to happen."
I furrowed my eyebrows. "God wanted me to not remember you?"
He smiled. "No," he whispered, "maybe he wanted both of us to know what it was like to fall in love twice. After all I did make you fall in love with me again." he looked at me. "Maybe God wanted for you to fall in love with me twice... that way we wouldn't take it for granted."
I looked into his eyes and couldn't resist the temptation to smile. "That does sound pretty cool."

He laughed and pressed his lips to mine lightly, kissing me softly as I smiled against his lips, pressing my hand against his and lacing our fingers together. Our tiny make-out session was suddenly interrupted by the loud blaring of my ringtone.
I sighed, pulling away from Jared and pressing the send button.

"Hey Aunt-Hailey," I said through the phone as Jared kissed my forehead and I couldn't help but let myself smile.
"M-M-Mallie," she whispered barely audible.
The smile that had made its way to my face instantly left. "Aunt-Hailey, is everything okay?"
I heard her sniffle through the phone. "Your Uncle," was all she had to say.
"No," I whispered, tears threatening to spill.

No.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know, sorry for the cliffhanger I just had to. And again sorry for the short chapters it's a must for what I plan on doing.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE VOTES AND COMMENTS! PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING I LOVE READING YOUR GUYS' THOUGHTS ON MY WRITING!
Sorry for the caps. :P Oh and if you haven't already please check out my new book: Time Will Tell. It'd really mean a lot guys!

<3 Katy