Chapter 21: The Best Day of My Life

[Amazing banner by @novemberdreamer]

-Mallie's POV-

"You broke up with Nathan! Why?!" Anna said as we walked to the concession stands to get something to eat before we had to play.

"He was being a douche and he didn't even try to make our relationship work!" I replied taking a bite of my pizza.

"Well then, why don't we talk about Jared... Jared Reynolds."

I was about to take a bite out of my pizza when suddenly I almost dropped it. I regained my composure, taking a bite out of my pizza, then speaking.

"What are you talking about?" I asked casually.

"Mallie, has anyone ever told you what a horrible liar you are?" she asked with a smile.

Then Jared's words came back to me and I smiled to myself.

"So, it wasn't just me?" he smiled squinting his eyes as the sun shone from the sky.

I blushed, lying through my teeth. "No,"

"Like I said before, you're a horrible liar," he chuckled.

"Actually, yes,"

"Oh really? And who might that be?"

I finished my pizza and threw the plate in the garbage, going back to stand next to Anna.

"Ummm," I said. "Jared told me that."

She smiled. "He's so hot!"

"Anna!" I laughed. "You have a boyfriend!"

"That doesn't mean I can't think other guys are hot! Have you seen him without his shirt on?!"

We both started laughing so hard we almost died.

I caught my breath. "To answer your question, yes!"

"Oh my gosh, really?!" Anna asked surprised.

"Yeah, at Ryan's football practice, he walked out of the locker room without a shirt on and started talking to me."

"He likes you doesn't he?"

"Well, I don't know, he's Ryan's best friend and Ryan's not exactly happy about me and him hanging out--,"

"Hanging out?" Anna said raising an eyebrow. "Mallie, you guys are doing a lot more than hanging out!"

"Well--"

"Speak of the devil," she muttered, "and he shall appear."

Her head was turned in the direction of the ticket booth, so I turned my head and looked over there too. Jared was paying the lady at the table to get into the game. He handed her the money, then looked up and saw me. Our eyes instantly locked. His hair was like it was all the time, neatly disorganized to give him that casual look. He was wearing a pair of dark-tan cargo shorts with a blue American Eagle hoodie.

"You checking me out?" he asked as he stood before me.

"No," I laughed.

"Liar," Anna whispered in my ear.

I turned to look at her blushing. "Shut up!" I looked back at Jared. "Um, Jared this is Anna,"

He looked at her and they shook hands. "Nice to meet you," he said.

She raised an eyebrow, "Yeah, you too,"

"So, when do you guys play?" Jared asked.

I was just about to answer when Coach Jay came out into the hallway.