Chapter 7: An Unexpected Visit

• Dedicated to My long lost best friend Kallee

Edited

"Mallie?" Nathan asked as I pushed the garbage down the chute and turned around to look at him.

I ran my hands through my hair, suddenly feeling almost nervous that he was here, with Jared being here as well. It made my stomach churn.

"Nathan, hey!" I smiled, but it wasn't a genuine one.

He smiled back. "I was gonna surprise you but I guess it didn't work out so well."

I laughed, but didn't say anything. This was what I hated about our relationship. I don't even think it qualified as a real one. All of our conversations were just... awkward and not to mention when we tried to kiss each other as well. It just... it didn't feel right.

"Well, I just wanted to know if you wanted to hang out or something?" he asked scratching the back of his head.

When he did that, my eyes trailed up to his hair and I started examining his facial features as if I'd never seen him in my entire life.

His hair was jet black and he had these brown eyes that—when I first met him—made me fall for him almost instantly. They were so... cute.

Were.

Now, they were just regular eyes to me. There wasn't anything there that held any meaning to me and I soon found myself thinking that they were the wrong color. I didn't want them to be brown; I wanted them to be blue.

And his hair. It was too dark. I wanted his hair to be brown... light brown. Almost like—

Oh my gosh.

It took me a moment to realize that all of the things I wanted were the features of the boy who was currently upstairs in my brother's room playing video games with him. I inhaled sharply at my sudden thoughts.

Was I—?

No, it couldn't be.

No.

"Mallie?"he asked as my head snapped up to look at him.

My eyes widened. "Oh!" I pressed my lips together muttering. "That's a first."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "What?"

Oh, he heard that.

"Um—,"

I honestly didn't know what to say. I'd wanted to tell him forever how I felt, but there was never a moment where we could just sit down and actually talk to each other. Something always had to interrupt us or he'd just avoid me for a while. So, I decided I would just go ahead and tell him how I felt because I couldn't keep all these feelings bottled up inside me. Bad things happened when I did that.

I sighed. "Nathan, I feel like our relationship isn't going anywhere."

"What do you mean?" he asked, his face contorting into one of confusion.

I pressed my lips together tightly. "The only time you ever hang out with me is when I call you. You never call me or even just text me to ask how I'm doing. I'm always the one trying to get the two of us together." I sighed. "I feel like you're not trying to make this relationship work. I understand that you're busy with your sister sometimes, but you're not busy that much."

"Mallie, I'm asking you to hang out with me right now." he said.

I was starting to get frustrated. "Yeah and when was the last time you tried to do that?"

He opened his mouth, but no words came out.

"Exactly," I whispered.

He looked back at me. "What do you expect me to do Mallie?! Put my life on hold just so I can spend an hour with you ever day?! Things don't work like that!"

As soon as the words had come out of his mouth I could feel the pang in my heart as my face fell, my mouth opening in disbelief. How could he say something like that?! This wasn't the boy I met months ago. No, the boy I met would never have said that.

I looked at him and I could feel tears pooling in my eyes. "I'm not asking you to spend every day with me." I whispered. "All I'm saying, is that if you really loved me... you'd find time." I turned back towards the door and began to open it, but stopped when I heard the next words.

"I do love you!" he argued.

His facial expression said it all.

He was lying.

I slammed the door shut. "No you don't!" I yelled. "If you loved me, you wouldn't be doing this to me! If you really loved me you'd know how hurt I am by what you've been doing to me, but you don't care! You don't care about me." I whispered.

"I do care about you," he whispered back, taking my hand in his.

I took my hand out of his. "Maybe we should just end this."

"What?" he said in a deadly tone.

I pressed my lips together. "It's over Nathan. I can't do it anymore. I can't be with someone who's not going to make an effort to be a part of my life." I looked at him. "Goodbye, Nathan." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey thanks for reading!

Team Nathan?

Or...

Team Jared?

Comment and tell me which one!

~Katy