Chapter 3 ~ A Risk Taking Deal

Isabella stared at him confusedly until he opened his mouth. "I'm sorry for mistaking you for someone else."

"No, I think you mispelled my name. It's Isabella not Ishana but how do you even know me?"

A silence fell in the shop as the man gradually lifted his finger and pointed towards her stomach. Only then Isabella realised that her student card was still hanging from her neck. She smacked her forehead lightly as the man got up and walked towards the hand basin.

"So how much will it cost?"

She asked while fear of going bankrupt filled her mind.

"Fifteen-hundred lira."

Harsh reality slapped her on the face causing her mind to go blank. Fifteen hundred for this piece of junk sounded more than absurd. Glancing at the tall man wiping his hands, she marched few steps closer towards him.

"Please tell me you're joking."

"Car parts cost and I'm definitely not joking."

Sadness filled through her body like poison, killing off all her emotions. Actuality dawned on her like a train derailing. Her bottom lip quivered as tears escaped her eyes. She cried without a pause, acknowleding how poor she is.

The man touched her shoulder gently. "Look you can make a deposit and pay the rest in installments. My boss won't mind. How much do you have right now?"

She hesitated and answered, "Thirty."

The tears smeared all over her face as she ran the back of her hand angrily. She slumped on an old couch with coils surfacing and buried her face between her hands. Eventually a weight plopped next to her.

She had no choice but to narrate her miserable life story, wishing for the man to pity her.

"My mother works as a maid for rich people. I have always curbed my desires as finance is a real issue in my house. Scholarship helped me a lot but money problem is always there. We haven't paid the rent for the past four months. Two more and the landlord will kick us out. Bills keep piling on and debt, I shouldn't even start talking about it. My mother is old-fashion. She doesn't want me to do any odd jobs to earn a few bucks because she has high expectations. She wants to see me graduate and work a respectable job."

A slight smile formed on his lips allowing his dimples to take place.

"You must be thinking why I'm boring you." Isabella added but he shook his head.

"No Isabella, you are not boring me and besides you're not the first person I've met with financial problem. I have a solution that can solve your money problems for eternity but it's very risky. Some people agree but others don't."

Dumb wasn't a part of Isabella's lifestyle.

"If your solution has to deal with pole dancer or prostitution, then there's no need to say it."

"My solution is spy, undercover, gather information, work secretly for the government and earn more than you can imagine."

She let out a sarcastic laugh. She has seen too many movies in her life and she knows exactly what the man was talking about.

"If it really pays much then why are you working as a mechanic?"

He extended his hand forward. "Major Eijaz Arif, British Armed Forces working covert for British mercenary The Legends."

Isabella stared flabbergasted at the six feet tall man reflecting whether to accept his handshake or not. Her common sense kicked in and she placed her smooth hand on his firm one. The world was becoming a crazy place for her. She learnt about mafia in school and mercenary after school.

"How many people know about this little secret of yours?"

"Let's just say you're the second one."

Isabella can feel the excitement radiating out of her. She is the second person he had shared his secret because if anyone finds out there's a British spy living among them, hell would break loose.

"Who is the first?"

"Inspector Lara Weiss. She is the one who helps, all her tactics and her intelligence has helped the police department to decrease crime rates and catch many criminals but in order to arrest the high class ones, she needs strong evidence which is why normal people like you are hired. If you accept it, of course."

The mafia world is a dangerous place. No doubt in that. But if one succeeds, he can be a big shot overnight. Evaluating all her financial problems mentally, Isabella knew she'll have to say yes.

Time seemed to be stretched on as the night got colder but Eijaz ordered her to wait for Lara. The owner of the auto repair shop left home entrusting Eijaz to close after the work is done. It was just the two of them and somehow Isabella couldn't stop stealing glances of him.

His muscular athletic build was an eye sore. Some people are simply blessed with beautiful genes. If it wasn't for the silver ring on his right finger, Isabella would have kept on ogling at him.

Around nine in the evening the famous Lara finally arrived. She greeted Eijaz and the two entered the office where she was sitting earlier, discussing her fate. Isabella couldn't decipher what was going on but the look; it seemed as if Lara wasn't agreeing to what he was saying.

She waited patiently until it was time for the verdict.

"I have a job for you. Will you do it?"

She looked into her eyes. The fear or anger, but definitely some negative emotion was there. Isabella wasn't going to give in blindly.

"What kind of job?"

"Western Hotel is providing employment to students on Monday. All you have to do is give an interview. They will select you and then..." Lara paused, taking a deep breath. "Spy on Zaid Adeeb Tahir, the owner at any opportunity given."

Isabella could literally feel the floor slipping beneath her feet. Zaid is a respectable and a wealthy hotelier. He is also one among the richest bachelors in the country.

"What?"

"I told you she isn't good for this job." Lara rebuked at once.

"Hold on. Zaid is the freaking owner. How am I supposed to spy on him if I'll be working as a waitress or room service because I don't think I'm going to be hired as his personal secretary?"

"And I told you she isn't stupid," added Eijaz. "You are absolutely right but for now all you have to do is get a job there. The rest will fall in place at the right time."

"And my payment?"

The main reason she is doing this is for money. Lara eyed her and removed a bundle of notes from her bag and placed them on Isabella's hand.

"This is your advance and your car repair is free. Do your job well and you'll get twice as much."

Isabella stared at the heavy weight in her hand. Her brain formulated no other thoughts other than to register that she is shocked. She closed her mouth and stared at them.

"You're welcome," said Lara before exiting.