Chapter 21 ~ A Married Couple Argument

"I'm three months pregnant

"I'm three months pregnant."

Zaid who was narrating about the funny incident at the jewelry store fell silent suddenly. Sheer seriousness was written on his wife's face. She turned the tap off, wiped her hands on the apron and turned to him. She was waiting patiently for him to say something but he was unable to do so. The news crashed like a giant wave on his mind causing him to become numb in her presence.

He took his time and inhaling deeply, he responded. "Are you sure? I mean we-"

"We are having sex regularly like a normal couple without protection. It was going to occur eventually, Zaid. Don't look so shocked," she said as if she was fully done with this conversation.

"I know it's just I never thought it will be so soon," he said quickly somehow regretting his poor choice of words because Isabella looked furious.

Her eyes were narrowed, rigid and cold. The burning hard stare would only hurt him further. Everything had been in the process of a normalcy for the past five months until this news appeared out of nowhere. It's not that he doesn't want a kid but it was too soon and he cannot blame her.

"You know what its fine. I'll raise the child on my own. I'm educated; my mafia father has tons of cash. I'm sure I'll be able to raise this mafia child from my mafia husband who is refusing to accept his result from a constant relationship."

"Isa, I'm not. I'm just taking my time to comprehend this situation and stop saying mafia like it's the worst," Zaid rebuked hating how she was reacting.

"My whole life from my birth, my childhood, my marriage and now my unborn child is revolving around mafia and do tell me one good thing about it."

Zaid paused. "People are always scared of you and will think twice before hurting you."

"Tell that to Akil."

"He is dead in case you didn't know. The point is I should have been more careful. You are still too young to have a child and -"

He didn't know how to say that he has been a failed fiancé, almost a failed husband. Now, his insides was churning from the fact the he can be a failed father as well. He cannot promise anything good because it all goes in vain.

The message notification rang loud in the kitchen, becoming a little escape from this conversation. He read the message and sighed.

Luis: Next meeting is tomorrow and King won't accept you using his daughter as an excuse to skip it.

"Just look at you Zaid. If it was another man, he would have been happy to know his wife is pregnant. But you look the least interested," she said.

He placed the phone back in his pocket, ready to speak but another text popped up.

"This is important. I have to see it."

Luis: Bring Toni Hasim with you.

Zaid re-read the message not understanding why Toni is required but he knows that no text or call would solve the mystery. He won't get any answer until King sees Toni with his own eyes. However they are not best friends. Toni still hated for what he had done to his father's gang, Isabella and especially the kidnapping even though they saved her in the nick of time. He even threatened if something similar were to occur to Isabella again which had made him wonder whether he liked her in a different light or not.

"Are you fucking listening to me Zaid?" Isabella's loud voice pulled him into reality and he shook his head to vanish the unwanted imagination.

"Isa I'm sorry but this is very important. I have a job to do for your father and you know I can't refuse him anything. He is my boss and on top my father-in-law."

"Unbelievable. My criminal father, don't worry I won't use the word mafia, send you a message and you are at his service. I tell you the greatest news a wife can tell her husband and you need time to process, acting all confused. You know what just get the fuck out of here and don't show me your face until you are ready and in a good state of mind to listen."

Zaid was quicker to wrap his arms around her waist pulling her close to his body when she intended to walk away from this argument.

"Let go of me."

The world stilled before him hearing the pain and disgust in her voice. Her face paled and a drop of tear slid down her cheek. He can't see her like this.

"I will but I need you to hear me first. You're right. I can't talk right now. I'm disturbed but I want you to always remember that I love you and I'm happy that you are pregnant. I never thought of becoming a father after I lost my fiancée so it's all new to me. Be patient with me Isabella and I'll shower you with love. It's all I'm asking. It's all I want from you."

"Fine"

This was becoming tougher because she avoided eye-contact and replied one word. Zaid placed a lingering kiss on her forehead before letting go, missing how her delicate skin reacted under his touch because she was one hell of a sexy and smart woman and he was lucky to have her as his wife despite some circumstances.

After instructing Saeed to get the men and cars ready, Zaid went to his bedroom to change. Let's say the view wasn't disappointing at all. Standing in front of the mirror, her thick hair cascading down her back in nothing but her white bathrobe, he took his time relish the view. Coming closer she stiffened a little when he caught her caressing her stomach. The bump was barely showing. He has assumed that he had been taking her on too many dinner dates at fancy restaurants which caused this little growth.

Zaid placed his hand on hers and ran his finger across her cheek.

"Still mad at me?"

"I'm moody. Maybe it's the pregnancy or maybe I don't this innocent to be born. Mafia daddy and mommy is the only daughter of the deadly mafia grandfather, I'm scared and confused Zaid. He or she will inherit not just our fans but our haters as well. If someone can get to me, someone can get-"

Zaid covered her mouth to prevent his thoughts as well, being said out loud.

"No."

A haunting silence like the calm before the storm prevailed in the room. The air thickened from the possibilities of a truth they can't deny. Isabella removed his hand and gave him a tight smile, one that meant anything is possible and inevitable.

"You're overthinking. Stop and everything will be fine," he said.

Leaving her in deep thoughts, he went to change into a completely black outfit, becoming the angel of darkness who is ready to complete his task while the world is preparing for a sound sleep. Isabella hasn't moved from her spot and her hand was still on her belly.

"I'll be back soon."

She said nothing and he left throwing her a loving glace. Arriving outside, he took the passenger seat next to Saeed.

"Why do we need so many men Zaid? Are we attacking Jamal Hasim gang again?" He asked, accelerating on the almost empty street looking vivid under the full moon and glowing stars.

"King wants Toni for this meeting. I think we all know that if I asked gently, Toni Hasim, will you kindly come with me because my boss/father-in-law requires your presence at his meeting; he'll most likely to agree. We need back up."

"Okay but this is going to be a bloodbath because they might be outnumbered but they aren't weak."

"Trust me I know. Toni has threatened me so much concerning Isabella's safety that I was this close to ask him, do you like my wife?"

If there's one person he can share a bit of his feelings was none other than his friend, his brother from another mother, Saeed. He has been a part of his happiness as well as downfall but he never crossed a limit which made Zaid be proud of him.

"No, I don't think so. They grew up in the same neighborhood, played together. It's more like an elderly brother warning or friendship. Romantically, it doesn't seem so."

"That's a relief. At least I can present him to King in one piece."