Chapter 25 ~ A Tumbling Down Relationship

How the person you once fall deeply in love, knows every little thing about him, the center of your universe suddenly turned into a stranger?

If she wasn't heavily pregnant, around six months, of his child, he could have abandon her and take another wife. Zaynah knew she can't trust her husband anymore. They were like Romeo and Juliet, their families hated each other and thirst for blood. Somehow they rebelled on both sides and stayed alive. But Zaynah missed her brother, her country and her home resulting in a seed of hate to grow in her heart for her husband.

All these years, he was a covert police officer for The Legends. Through secret telephonic conversations to her brother, she discovered that this mercenary group was the bitterest enemy of The Seven League but luckily they don't have concrete proofs to take them down. The question remains; for how long.

Slowly folding the prayer mat, Zaynah glanced at the time. He would be here soon. It was no use of asking his whereabouts because he made quite a number of trips of his boss' house situated in one of the calm and well protected region of London where not many people can have access. Zaynah pretended to look disinterested when he would narrate small bits of his work but she memorized them all.

An accidental useful information can prove to be worthy for her brother. Eijaz has been a spy long enough, now it's her turn.

Despite summer were going on, light showers and cloudy skies never failed to appear. Worrying about the dried clothes, she snatched one by one from the rope and dropped them on the table to be ironed later. The maid, Cheryl, comes only three times a week. Eijaz was definitely not poor considering the size of the house they were living in but Zaynah didn't ask him to keep a maid for at least six days.

It could be that he didn't want her to bond with anyone in the foreign city.

"Where are you?" She mumbled out of boredom.

Noticing fat books lying on the corner table, she picked them and climbed the stairs. Well, another task she could perform to kill time. Adjusting the stool in front of the shelves, she stepped on it, barefoot, and started placing the books one by one, color coordinated; another new habit she discovered about him.

"What do you think you're doing?"

Eijaz's sudden voice startled her and her hand slid from the shelf. Zaynah screamed but she was in his arms instead of kissing the floor. Her stunned eyes raked on his face, unable to read the expression. They were so close that their breaths mingled.

When was the last time they even kissed?

"You shouldn't do things like this. Wait for me or Cheryl."

"And you shouldn't call from behind. What if you didn't reach me on time? We could have lost someone pretty valuable."

"I'm sorry." He admitted his mistake and placed her down on her feet gently. Taking a step back, she felt slightly intimidated by his tall and well-built body. She once considered herself lucky to have a man like him in her life. Now it isn't completely true.

"Tea and biscuits are already set on the dining table," she said politely, secretly insulting this typical English man in her mind. It was definitely his accent then his pretty face that she fell harder in love with him.

"Okay. I'll eat it while you get ready. We have some shopping to do."

"We already bought every baby stuffs that existed."

"It's not for the baby."

Zaynah let the conversation lapse and went to her bedroom, eyeing hundreds of long dresses of various materials, some folded and hung. It's pretty much what she has been wearing for a while and will continue to do it even after her child is born. It was damn comfortable.

Selecting the purple one from the plain gown section, she did a light makeup and tied her hair into a messy bun. By then Eijaz was already done and waiting for her by the car.

"You look pretty," he complimented. Zaynah smiled and sat next to him, rolling the windows down. No matter how much she hates London, it was a relief to breathe new air for having stayed confined in her home as supposedly it's safer for a pregnant woman.

When he stopped the car in the parking lot, Zaynah realized they weren't at any of the supermarkets in the vicinity. They were at a mall, a quite expensive one, by the looks of it.

"Come darling," he said, ushering her to walk by his side as he wrapped an arm around her waist.

They window shopped for a while until he tagged her along towards the drink section where he selected the most expensive non-alcoholic champagne. Then he chose a pack of six lavender scented candles and finally a tie.

Zaynah's mind was going towards the gutter. She gained courage and asked when they arrived at the cashier.

"For whom are you buying all these?"

"We are invited at a dinner party at my boss, Adeel Malik home. I thought it would be nice to not show up empty-handed and since they are quite sophisticated, the champagne and candle will do."

"And the tie?"

"That's for me, darling. Remember I bought a suit about two months ago but I had no tie to go with it. Now that I got it, let's buy you an evening gown."

"No, I have too many."

"Zaynah, I want you to look perfect for this evening. Please." She smiled and nodded. Eijaz interlaced their fingers and they walked towards the boutique with sparkling dresses on the mannequins at the window. This is a good sign. Finally she'll get a glimpse of The Legends, know exactly who they are and how they looked like and all she has to do is smile and look pretty.

"Game on," she muttered silently.