Chapter 27 ~ A Preference In Kids

There were three cars in front of them on the driveway of Adeel Malik's mansion that look like a mini version of a contemporary castle. Eijaz was unable to endure waiting any longer, he kept tapping his fingers on the steering wheel and even turned the radio off despite one of his favorite songs was playing.

"Zaynah, let's get down. It's not long to walk."

"As you say"

He left the key in ignition and informed the valet. It was no problem and soon the other drivers behind followed suit. Zaynah put on a fake smile, letting her husband's hand resting on her waist. She adjusted her shawl over the monogram long silk dress as it can be a little chilly in the late evening. She took her precautions.

Arriving inside the living room, they waited for the couple in front of them to finish their greeting and moved forward.

"Eijaz, I'm so happy you could make it."

"Pleasure is ours. Meet my boss Mr. Adeel Malik and she is my beautiful wife Zaynah."

Zaynah shook the hand of the enemy with the prettiest smile ever, the one flaunting her perfect white teeth, still in awe about the age of this man. She truly thought the chief of The Legends, Adeel Malik would be an old man in a suit reeking of cigar and expensive drink in hand but he was not too older than her husband or brother. Five years or less, she can guess.

"Let me call my wife," he said.

Zaynah nodded, the happiness never disappearing off her face to know the two-faced woman who has a connection to The Seven League and The Legends. Indeed she arrived, Farah Malik, she recalled her name. Zaid has repeated it to her several times. She needed to memorize them all as anything written would be evidence. Talk about being the wife of an undercover

"This is for you Mrs. Malik," Zaynah said, giving her the bag of presents.

"Thank you but you didn't have to," the snake said. She too is a very good actress, maybe even better than Zaynah.

"Oh it's nothing. It's my first time coming here and I didn't want to come empty-handed. Please accept this little gift, Mrs. Malik"

"You're a sweet woman Zara, Zaynah. It's Zaynah, right. I'm sorry I can be a bit forgetful about names and please call me Farah."

Being kind and complimenting her was an induced vomiting task but Zaynah gained courage. If Farah can deceive her husband, having an affair with the brother of a Seven League member, then she can also befriend and tried to gain her trust. But it won't be as easy as everyone probably knows from which family she came from due to mixed emotions look. If she wasn't pregnant, they wouldn't have wasted an opportunity to show their true colors.

As Eijaz joined the party to talk, laugh to the other officers, Zaynah paced the living room, slowly, taking in every single detail where all she gets was that their interior décor was satisfying. That's all. It looks like a regular rich home, no one could tell a mercenary family lives here.

"Zaynah," Farah said, bringing her back to reality where her smile came on automatically. "I know you're pregnant and if you wish to rest, do not hesitate, there are room upstairs or you could tell a maid to guide, okay, and I'm sorry I have to leave you, there are so many wives and mothers I need to attend."

"No problem at all Farah, I'm doing just fine."

Bingo. This is exactly what she needed; exhaustion to use as a means where she could infiltrate the place. Zaynah took a glass of non-alcoholic sangria, took a sip and slowly started to climb the stairs. But there were a few guests scattered all around on the floor overlooking the living room. Zaynah backed away against the wall, sipping slowly possible while thinking when a baby's crying was heard.

She looked towards the left hallway where the sound was coming and wondered which one of these doors the baby was.

"Zaynah ma'am, will you have a lemon tart?" She turned, startled to see her smiling maid Cheryl looking at her.

"What are you doing here?"

"I worked here part time and part time at your place. Will you have a tart?"

She took a glance at the tray with an assortment of tarts but mostly lemon while wondering if Cheryl knows something and also she discovered the reason why Eijaz hired her for only three days.

"Who is crying over there?"

Cheryl looked at empty hallway, a little sad of the sound and smiled at Zaynah. "She is Akira, Farah ma'am baby."

Zaynah nodded and looked down only to see Farah holding a sleeping baby in her arms, while talking to three women. Cheryl immediately understood her confusion.

"The other one is Anisha. They are twins," she responded.

"Anisha is sleeping but she is holding her while Akira is crying and left abandoned in the room. Don't you think it's a bit weird?"

Zaynah asked, focusing on her maid's expression. Observe Zaynah, you need to observe every little thing. Zaid's voice rang in her ears and indeed Cheryl looks sympathetic again on the mention on the crying child. Something is fishy. She stepped closer to Zaynah, her back turned to the guests downstairs and she lowered her voice.

"I don't know ma'am but I have noticed that Farah ma'am make preference between the two girls."

"Oh, do you think she'll mind if I go see the child?"

"Of course not, if I didn't have the waitress job currently, it would have been me taking care of her. She is in the second room"

"Thank you Cheryl and go, you shouldn't waste more time."

Zaynah sighed and opened the second door. She closed it instantly after verifying if someone noticed her or not. There, in the middle of the bed, dressed in a yellow plain dress was the baby crying, kicking her arms and feet. Zaynah dropped her shawl on the bed and picked her up in her arms.

"Sshh, don't cry baby. You are a good girl," she muttered in a sweet tone, rocking her gently in her arms and patting her back slowly. She didn't take long to quiet down. Now that the room became silent, she made a note of everything she understood.

Farah liked one girl more than the other, she is cheating on her husband, despite being the wife of the leader of The Legends, she wanted to ditch him for Seven League. The main target is Farah but it won't be easy to get anything out of her. The lady is smart.

"Why is your mommy so cruel and why does she dislike you," she asked, looking at Akira's innocent face. She felt disgusted to think that a mother can even dislike her child.

Akira made a soft sound and lightly touched Zaynah's cheek. "Don't worry baby. You can trust me, I'll always like you."

Not that this information can help her brother in any way so she decided to hide what she discovered today and moved on normally.

"Akira," she heard a voice coming from outside and the door knob turned. It was Adeel Malik who was a little stunned.

"Oh I didn't know anyone was-"

"She was crying pretty loud, I couldn't bear it so I took her and she calmed down," Zaynah answered.

"Let me take her instead. You are pregnant, you shouldn't." Adeel immediately crossed the distance and took his daughter into his arms, whispering, making silly sounds to which she responded by giggling.

Adeel looked so happy, respectful job, big house, loving children, if only Zaynah could tell him that his wife is a lying backstabbing bitch who isn't worthy of his love. She came here on behalf of her brother to find what could be used against The Legends but is leaving, pitying Adeel Malik. It's not his fault that he is trying to wipe off criminal activities from the face of the world.

Great, now she is starting to sound like Isabella.