Chapter 39 ~ A Conflicting Get Together

The afternoon sun hovered over the mansion, brightening the green grass recently trimmed and the roof of the cars that pulled into the driveway. It's going to be house full tonight but Isabella was more than ever ecstatic because she would be surrounded by her own.

Zaid wanted to shout surprise on her face at the moment but the whole house was hectic since the morning being cleaned and food, some were ordered and cooked. She eventually found out.

Isabella emerged from the living room, a wide grin plastered on her face. Her mother Nabeela pulled her into her hug and she tried not to cry, ruining a make-up she has spent at least fifteen minutes. It was too much for a woman who doesn't fancy dolling up.

"I missed you," she said, inhaling the homely scent of her mother.

"My child," Nabeela said, sniffing. She definitely allowed the dam to burst but quickly wiped her cheeks and greeted her son-in-law while Isabella looked at her father who was saying something to the convoy of bodyguards.

"Isabella," he said and approached for a hug. Isabella felt slightly awkward for meeting this man, Josh Grayson, the boss of the underworld. His hair was black, not hiding the grey though but his demeanor screamed power and danger. Anyone can be awe to acknowledge him as father yet Isabella, despite all the pessimism welcomed him into her home with open arms.

"I'm so glad you could make time for me and be here in one of my most unforgettable moments."

"I have missed enough events in your life but I wouldn't miss this for the world."

"Thank you, dad"

"If the dramatic reunion is done, can we eat the hot samosas now?" Toni butted in and Nabeela teasingly pulled his ear.

"You have never changed, let's go."

Adjourned in the backyard, the freshly made desserts, tea and coffee were brought in for the guests. Isabella sat next to her mother while the men were all spread out on the lawn, still into their business talks. But it looks like Zaid was more in high spirits than her to see his leader at his place.

"You made this Isabella?" Her mother asked, taking another bite of the delicious broccoli and cheese patty.

"I'm still a terrible cook mom besides Zaid isn't even allowing me in the kitchen anymore. I'm the mistress of the house. One ring of a bell and I have a parade of maid at my service."

Nabeela laughed at her daughter's weird but very true commentary.

"Do you and dad live together?" She asked and to her horror, her mother burst into fits of coughs. She patted her back and quickly signaled the maid to pour her a glass of water, helping her drink.

"Are you okay mom?"

"What makes you even think I'll live with him?" She asked, lowering her tone all of the sudden. Isabella stared at her father who was in full conversation with both Toni and Zaid like he is giving them some sort of advice.

"I didn't see you for months and today you came here with him. I thought you will come with Jamal and his wife or even with Toni but you stepped down the freaking BMW like Mrs. Josh Grayson. It's obvious I'll think otherwise," she said making sure that this conversation won't be eavesdropped and reached the wrong pair of ears.

"To begin with I wasn't even in the country. Josh handled me tickets and I roamed so many countries with one of his female bodyguard. But we were quick to become friends. When I got home, I found out from Toni that you were pregnant but I didn't want to come see you all of the sudden. Luckily Zaid called and informed that he has planned this little get together for your happiness and Josh came fetch me."