Chapter 22 ~ A Bittersweet Birthday Celebration

Zaid sat uptight observing Toni Hasim barging into the conference room. The two bodyguards failing to do their jobs with perfection rushed behind him, looking all frantic. Rage was plastered all over his face and his jaw tightened, daring Zaid to take a prompt action.

"Sir, we tried to stop him but he ran faster," one of them complained like a fourth grader.

The members in the room shared sneaky looks, all wondering about the man with the bad boy look daring to interrupt an important meeting of one of the most respected businessman of the city.

"Gentlemen, we'll bring this meeting to a halt for now. We'll continue after lunch," he said.

To begin with no one should even dare to disrupt a highly crucial meeting and even if they did so, Zaid should have acted the opposite. The men in expensive suits picked up their files, mobile phones and exited the room, followed by the bodyguards. He was seeing Toni after three weeks for the first time after they returned to their country.

Once the door was closed he approached Zaid with a threatening look in his eyes.

"You hit my friends I said nothing. You terrorize my family I said nothing. You married my best friend forcibly, I said nothing because I was knocked unconscious by your men. But I'm warning you Zaid," he menaced, taking a step closer. "If anything happens to Isabella or my family again, I won't hesitate to become a murderer."

Zaid chuckled and crossed his arms beneath his rigid chest.

"So you have never killed anyone before? Interesting. Not everyone has the guts to say they'll kill me on my face."

"Joke all you want you imposter but God forbid the day comes, it will rain blood. Take care of her Zaid or I'll take care of you."

That's when Zaid realize he shouldn't misunderstand Toni or anyone from that destitute neighbourhood because they have lived the hard life, the one involving more risks without bodyguards protecting them or an international mafia organization backing them up.

"Zaid, Zaid where are you lost? We have arrived."

He snapped out of his deep thoughts and instructed Saeed to park in the shadows. Taking the binocular he focused on the main building where Jamal Hasim's family reside. Now he just have to wait for Toni to turn up there.

"They are partying," said Saeed looking from his own binocular but Zaid decided to refrain from saying anything because he was seeing the same thing as him.

"It looks like a birthday but whose?"

They zoomed in as much as they could see from the large window pane. The guests beautifully dressed and covered from tip to toes were moving around. Zaid found it a little strange because Jamal Hasim's family dressed more western style than religious. He observed as much as he could scanning faces to faces until he saw Hiba, Isabella's best friend.

She had come to his place a few times accompanied by Isabella's mother. The way she was dressed with her long baby pink gown and matching hijab, it was clear as water that it was her birthday being celebrated at Jamal Hasim's building.

A cunning thought crossed his mind, a devilish smile played at his lips when he lowered the binocular. Time to make Toni have a taste of his own medicine

"Isabella will hate you," said Saeed without even looking in his direction.

"She's the least of my concern for the moment and besides what kind of best friend doesn't invite her friend for her birthday party?"

"She did," he answered. Zaid looked at him, the answer a bit puzzling to his ears. It's almost funny that Saeed knows and he doesn't.

"How-?"

"Your wife and I bonded over on an emotional level each time you tell me to stay home and keep an eye on her for you. Hiba invited her but she didn't have the courage to face them after you what you did."

"It's been months. Why can't they get over it?"

Saeed smiled. "They are not born with a golden spoon in their mouths like you, my friend. They don't pay anyone to do their dirty jobs. They risked life and limb to survive or to afford the basics."

"You're indirectly telling me that I'm a spoilt brat?"

"No. What I'm saying is you are from a different world compared to them. You barged in with an army and destroyed what they had built. You force one of their own to marry you in order to spare their lives. You hurt their pride and honor deeply. It's obvious they will hate you."

"Good because what I'm about to do will make things much easier."

Zaid stepped down and opened the boot of the car. Inside lies an empty carton box. After installing the lamp at their bedside so that Isabella could read at night, he was supposed to throw it out. Instead he received an emergency call from his hotel and threw the empty box in here haphazardly.

"What are you doing?"

"Giving the birthday girl a present. Only you and I will go inside, four of our men will be stationed outside and the rest will secure the building. You have one minute, go."

Saeed obeyed and exactly a minute later, they were climbing the stairs. The noise of chattering and Bollywood music reached his ears. As they arrived in front of the main door of the hall people ceased talking upon noticing them and someone turned the radio off.

"Happy birthday Hiba," Zaid exclaimed loudly stepping inside the room.

His dominant presence among the low class was both silent and uncomfortable. Some would barely look at him while others will dare showing they aren't scared of this double faced man.

Eyeing the plethora of guests, he moved towards the birthday girl who was in a state of disbelief. Hiba blinked and involuntarily took a step back. Zaid placed the carton box on the table beside and went for a hug. She stilled and her hands remained by her side.

"Isabella couldn't make it," he whispered. "I'm here to send her kind regards."

"Get away from her." Just the voice he was hoping to hear

In a swift motion, Zaid spun her around. Placing his arm under her neck, she screamed while he took out his commando vintage blade, a gift from King and held it next to her cheek.

"Now, now, no one moves or we'll celebrate a funeral instead of a birthday."

Jamal Hasim's family and acquaintances, despite being small time thugs, lived like normal beings. They don't bring weapons to a party where kids play with balloons. Unlike Zaid, all the social gatherings he has been in his life, two different weapons are always present whether in his boot or inner blazer pocket. That's just him; others hid even more dangerous ones.

"Zaid let go of her," Toni yelled and confirmed his suspicion. He was madly in love with Hiba but the girl was clueless because she kept looking at her father who was being held back by Jamal.

"Please let me go," she begged, her tears causing a very ugly emotion and imagination to arise. Isabella would be one hell of a furious woman upon knowing this little incident.

"Back off Toni or I swear I'll cut her," Zaid said, showing his prettiest smile ever.

"I don't know what sick games you are playing but you are not getting out of here alive."

Saeed had his gun pointed towards Jamal while the four men had the guests in sight. No war has ever won without any casualties so he pressed the tip of the knife causing a small trickle of blood to appear. Hiba screamed in pain and so did the ladies in the room. The men dared taking a step towards him but had to be held back.

"Zaid stop it."

"I wasn't joking Toni. Move out of my way or her throat is next."

He sighed, stood his ground, probably feeling like a failure like Zaid usually feels. He failed to prevent Isabella's marriage like now he will fail into saving the girl he loves. Slowly he joined the side of the terrified guests.

Arriving at the threshold, he ordered.

"Toni you know where I live. You come to my mansion in an hour, alone. Fail to do so, I'll send her dead body in two hours and don't anyone even think of following me."